GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphic detail, not for the feint hearted!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/06/01 at 12:31
Regular
I want to sort a few things out and hopefully make people think about what makes good graphics in a game. This will involve looking at the Hardware available and also what I believe to be the most important things to graphical quality!!

As you all may be well aware, 3D graphics in games are maily to do with vectors, polygons and the like, all 3D games have this is common. These make up 3D models (wireframes) and then a texture is mapped around the object to make it look more like the thing it is meant to be. Some games use fully 3D environements (i.e. wireframes wrapped in textures to make the envirinments) others use what are known as pre-rendered backdrops, i.e. a 2D drawing which the characters the run around on, some games use a mixture of both. That is your basic 3D environment.
Different effects are then used to make games look better, some are done by the hardware, others by the software itself (this needs more processing power).

Mip-mapping - used to blur images in the distance so that they look out of focus, to make the scene look more realistic.

Z-buffer - used to make sure that objects which are behind other objects on the screen are not in view.

Environment mapping - used to show the surroundings reflecting off of an object (usually in car games, but some cheat, like RRV which just scrolls a picture of trees along the surface of the car.)

Anti-aliasing - there are different types, the most popular being full screen and edge, but more importantly they blur pixels to prevent jagged edges.

There are many, many more but these are the few which I think people are most concerned with when it comes to rating a games graphics, along with the term pop-up. Pop-up is the objects in the distance just appearing out of no where. This is usually caused by the developer reducing the draw length of the game (how far into the distance you can see), the old fashioned way was to use fog effects (i.e. Turok on the N64)

Anyway all of these combined create a good looking visual scene. But what is more important high resolution with no jagged edges but lower quality models and textures, or a little less resolution with jagged edges but much more detailed models and textures??

To look at this we must first find two games to compare on the same platform and the PS2 is the ideal candidate with Crazi Taxi and RRV.

Crazi Taxi has;
High resolution
few jagged edges
low quality models
low quality textures
decent frame rate with some slow down
severe pop-up

RRV has;
Lower Resolution
Severe jagged edges
high quality models
high quality textures
supreme frame rate with no slow down
no pop-up
a form of environment mapping
mip-mapping

Personally I can live with the jagged edges and lower resolution because it lifts the frame rate and therefore the overall speed of the game and allows for a much higher detail of graphical finese from developers. When you look at the little details in RRV like sparks flying from the car as it scrapes the ground or the brake pads lighting up under the heat created by severe braking. It by no means makes it a better game than Crazi Taxi, they are both quite good, but graphically it is far more advanced and technically brilliant. Many people have slagged off the graphics on show in RRV, because they looked at the jagged edges and said, yuk!!

I hope this makes some people think about what they should and shouldn't be looking for in their graphics, true different people like different things, and yes it doesn't effect the gameplay, but I like my eye candy too.
Wed 20/06/01 at 12:31
Regular
I want to sort a few things out and hopefully make people think about what makes good graphics in a game. This will involve looking at the Hardware available and also what I believe to be the most important things to graphical quality!!

As you all may be well aware, 3D graphics in games are maily to do with vectors, polygons and the like, all 3D games have this is common. These make up 3D models (wireframes) and then a texture is mapped around the object to make it look more like the thing it is meant to be. Some games use fully 3D environements (i.e. wireframes wrapped in textures to make the envirinments) others use what are known as pre-rendered backdrops, i.e. a 2D drawing which the characters the run around on, some games use a mixture of both. That is your basic 3D environment.
Different effects are then used to make games look better, some are done by the hardware, others by the software itself (this needs more processing power).

Mip-mapping - used to blur images in the distance so that they look out of focus, to make the scene look more realistic.

Z-buffer - used to make sure that objects which are behind other objects on the screen are not in view.

Environment mapping - used to show the surroundings reflecting off of an object (usually in car games, but some cheat, like RRV which just scrolls a picture of trees along the surface of the car.)

Anti-aliasing - there are different types, the most popular being full screen and edge, but more importantly they blur pixels to prevent jagged edges.

There are many, many more but these are the few which I think people are most concerned with when it comes to rating a games graphics, along with the term pop-up. Pop-up is the objects in the distance just appearing out of no where. This is usually caused by the developer reducing the draw length of the game (how far into the distance you can see), the old fashioned way was to use fog effects (i.e. Turok on the N64)

Anyway all of these combined create a good looking visual scene. But what is more important high resolution with no jagged edges but lower quality models and textures, or a little less resolution with jagged edges but much more detailed models and textures??

To look at this we must first find two games to compare on the same platform and the PS2 is the ideal candidate with Crazi Taxi and RRV.

Crazi Taxi has;
High resolution
few jagged edges
low quality models
low quality textures
decent frame rate with some slow down
severe pop-up

RRV has;
Lower Resolution
Severe jagged edges
high quality models
high quality textures
supreme frame rate with no slow down
no pop-up
a form of environment mapping
mip-mapping

Personally I can live with the jagged edges and lower resolution because it lifts the frame rate and therefore the overall speed of the game and allows for a much higher detail of graphical finese from developers. When you look at the little details in RRV like sparks flying from the car as it scrapes the ground or the brake pads lighting up under the heat created by severe braking. It by no means makes it a better game than Crazi Taxi, they are both quite good, but graphically it is far more advanced and technically brilliant. Many people have slagged off the graphics on show in RRV, because they looked at the jagged edges and said, yuk!!

I hope this makes some people think about what they should and shouldn't be looking for in their graphics, true different people like different things, and yes it doesn't effect the gameplay, but I like my eye candy too.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:22
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I don't think comparing Crazy Taxi with Ridge was a very fair way to demonstrate your points although I am not saying that your points were wrong. Crazy Taxi could have been vastly improved from the DC version by getting rid of the pop-up as the PS2 has the capability of having a much longer draw distance. Also the games are graphically different as despite both being driving games, Ridge is much more of a accurate semi-realistic game compared to Crazy taxi and this is reflected in the graphics. Hopefully with games like GT3 we will no longer have to accept the compromises between different graphical effects that you have pointed out.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:25
Regular
This topic was solely concerned with demonstarting what I class as good graphics, to do this you must compare an example of what I believe to be good graphics and poor graphics from a single platform, so that hardware deficiencies cannot be blamed for the difference but programming laziness/poorness!! Yes Crazi Taxi should have been so much better on the PS2, but the fact is it wasn't and that will never change!!!
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:26
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
But has the lack of graphic detail affected the gameplay?
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:28
"Z-buffer - used to make sure that objects which are behind other objects on the screen are not in view"

Something that Driver on PSX lacked.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:30
Regular
Bonus wrote:
It by no means makes it a
> better game than Crazi Taxi

Answer your question GP???
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Back For Good"
dude, Crazy Taxi is Exactly the same as on the dreamcast. The people still walk through the cars and the enviroment, the builings still pop up and all this gibber about jagged edges on it is bull.

Crazy Taxi PS2 has tiny tiny jagged edges but trust me you can't see them unless your 1 foot away from the screen and really looking hard and the dreamcast version even had these.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:32
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Yes thanks. I was just saying that maybe they sacrificed a bit on graphics to make the game better.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:33
Regular
This is true Resi, Crazi Taxi does have a few jagged edges then???
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:35
Regular
Grandprix wrote:
> Yes thanks. I was just saying that maybe they sacrificed a bit on
> graphics to make the game better.

No, I think it was because the DC couldn't handle better graphics and they were too lazy to update them for the PS2. That way they could get a quick release, and makes it ideal for this sort of comparison, if it makes everyone happy, I can do the same when I get my hands on GT3, compare GT3, RRV and Crazi Taxi, that is!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.