GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Those in the knowhow please advise"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/08/04 at 19:43
Regular
I want to upgrade my computer. I want to keep my tower, my hard drive, my CDRW drive and my DVDROM drice, my graphics card, etc. However, I want to get myself a new processor (and therefore a new motherboard that'll take it)

I ain't got a lot of dosh at the moment so I'm on a budget, and have spotted a pair which I think should be compatable. I want to know if they are and if they're any good:

Processor:

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1447872963&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62704[/URL]

Motherboard:

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1448479355&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=54267[/URL]

Also, am I likely to face any problems when upgrading, such as an incompatability with Windows XP H.E. due to it being the 32-bit version?

If so I'll pick u the free trial version of Windows XP 64 Professional Edition.

If anyone has any better reccomendations (as in better processors/motherboards for same/similar price) please let me know.

Cheers.
Fri 27/08/04 at 18:19
Regular
I've been warned off of the MSI motherboards by someone in work...I'll keep checking to see what's available for the mean time.
Fri 27/08/04 at 10:32
Regular
Aye - as far as I can tell, my RAM should be ok. If not I'll get as many 512k RAM chips as I can afford to fit in to keep me as up to date as possible

Though I'm hoping as I said my RAM is ok, as then I can afford to save for some new RAM.
Fri 27/08/04 at 09:58
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> From what I've seen, the processors are an extra £100 for those
> sockets - I can't really stretch the bank that far, however, in a few
> years time, I should be able to afford the best stuff, so when I
> upgrade again, I'll probably end up spending a small fortune on
> getting myself an uber-PC.

Yeah, that is a problem. I always go for the rule when buying computers of "buy cheap, buy twice, pay extra, pay once" but sometimes it's unavoidable. I'd have loved that AthlonFx, but £600 for a CPU? forget it. :)

754 isn't quite dead however, It'll have a few years yet.

(edit) Make sure your current memory is compatable with the new MB.
Oh, you'll not have a problem running 32bit applications.
Fri 27/08/04 at 09:53
Regular
From what I've seen, the processors are an extra £100 for those sockets - I can't really stretch the bank that far, however, in a few years time, I should be able to afford the best stuff, so when I upgrade again, I'll probably end up spending a small fortune on getting myself an uber-PC.
Fri 27/08/04 at 09:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
fiƒi[oV] wrote:
> Surely if you're buying the CPU you linked to in your first post (ie,
> boxed retail, not OEM) it should come with a fan? Or am I missing
> something really obvious?
>
> If you're not overclocking, you'll probably save money by using the
> AMD fan as opposed to adding your own to an OEM chip.

Yes, retail CPU's come with stock HS and fans. That's what I'm using at the moment as I don't overclock. Replacing the stock heatsink and fan with a third party one will invalidate the Athlon 3 year guarantee.

My last Athlon burned out after 6 months. I was using a coolermaster fan. How gutted was I?

Edgy, try and go for a socket 939 MB if you can afford it. 754 is being phased out and a 939 will give you space in future to expand.
Fri 27/08/04 at 09:44
Regular
I'll probably do it like that then - I don't intend overclocking as I don't want to run any risks of overheating when I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'll get the retail version and see if it has a fan with it. If it doesn't, then I'll look into getting another.
Fri 27/08/04 at 01:39
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Surely if you're buying the CPU you linked to in your first post (ie, boxed retail, not OEM) it should come with a fan? Or am I missing something really obvious?

If you're not overclocking, you'll probably save money by using the AMD fan as opposed to adding your own to an OEM chip.
Fri 27/08/04 at 00:07
Regular
Good point - I'll check that out
Thu 26/08/04 at 23:50
Regular
Have you found a fan for the CPU yet? They seem to be very rare at the minute.
Thu 26/08/04 at 23:48
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> What are Simply Computers like to order from?

My mate recommended them to me and they seemed ok when I used them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.