GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How far can we go?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/08/04 at 19:35
Regular
"ProGolfer"
How far can the games industry go? Is there a limit will there become a time where we cant improve on the consoles graphics, or is it there is no more ideas left for games? Would we see remakes of old classics like we do now with some interesting singers *puzzled look*.

I do worry at times, rather stupidly i know. Its just I cant stop but think where can more fresh new ideas come from. Surely there will become a time in the not to distant future where game developers will go what can we do? We have done everything? So far we have seen a quickly growing trend in consoles in the last decade, improving graphics and game play all the way up. But have we reached the ceiling?

Would or could we get to a point where it would not make financial sense to build a console with better graphics as it costs to much. Take Concorde for example we can build it, fly it and design faster planes but we don’t have any commercial planes. Even though we can do it we cant have it. Makes little sense but its true. Ok we are improving are pcs and graphics all the time but surely that has to have a ceiling to? I believe we will get to a point where Nintendo/Microsoft and maybe Sony :P will not be able to sell there next gen console because of commercial sense.

We would be stuck at the same level of gaming, the games would come out but they would be so similar to previous games I mean how much difference can you have? If it is possible to improve on each console with graphics that’s about it unless there are new forms of media every 10 years like DVD.

There’s me going all pessimistic. I do think though we will get to a stage where we can play the game but in our heads or in a matrix kind of machine, where hopefully we wont be risking our lives. This is the only thing i can see in the long run for gaming how else can it go? If this does happen I do know we would be laughing back at us lot having to watch a TV to see what’s going on would seem ludicrous. Just look at the advancement in the past 15 years since the GB to now the up and coming DS. Such an improvement it really is a show for all to see how we have advanced in this field in such little time in human history.

People have tried to predict the future before and have failed miserably, I mean when the first robot was out people said it would be 10 years and there would be a robot in every home to do the housework, that is still not the case anyone have any idea when this could be as I quite like the idea of it :D But as I was saying I am probably totally wrong the gaming industry will turn in a new way, and develop the companies involved cant afford not to.

Anyone out there have any ideas where the gaming industry will be in the long run when we are all old and decrepit.
Tue 28/09/04 at 18:13
Regular
"Braaains"
And at which point the people in their virtual worlds would get robbed by the people in the real world.
Tue 28/09/04 at 09:03
Regular
It's a shame that film sucked ass.

Although not as drastic, the furthest possible point in gaming would be real-life immersion, a-lá eXistenZ or Matrix. A situation where every single one of our senses are stimulated in such a way that it feels like reality.

It makes sense that the next step from virtual reality would be 'actual' reality.

We probably won't experience this in our lifetime though.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:03
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Well we've recently broken the barrier in gaming that it's a one-player, one household environment and people take it for granted that nowadays you can log on to many an online game and take part with other players...

Step back and think of that for a moment, the ability to play with gamers across the globe - I'm still in awe over it, makes games much more enjoyable to play with others, especially if you're a "Billy No Mates" like myself =P

Personally I can't see a limit to the boundaries. The gaming industry rakes in BILLIONS a year, they aren't stopping for anything.

Anyone see the film "eXistenZ"?...that sums it up nicely ;)
Sun 26/09/04 at 16:47
Regular
"Braaains"
The furthest we can go is to the point when games are photorealistic. Then companies will have to go back to thinking about gameplay.
Sat 28/08/04 at 21:24
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Squall wrote:
> The furthest we could go is if we were actually in a game.

That would be cool, but a little risky.
Sat 28/08/04 at 20:56
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
The furthest we could go is if we were actually in a game.
Sat 28/08/04 at 19:35
Regular
"ProGolfer"
How far can the games industry go? Is there a limit will there become a time where we cant improve on the consoles graphics, or is it there is no more ideas left for games? Would we see remakes of old classics like we do now with some interesting singers *puzzled look*.

I do worry at times, rather stupidly i know. Its just I cant stop but think where can more fresh new ideas come from. Surely there will become a time in the not to distant future where game developers will go what can we do? We have done everything? So far we have seen a quickly growing trend in consoles in the last decade, improving graphics and game play all the way up. But have we reached the ceiling?

Would or could we get to a point where it would not make financial sense to build a console with better graphics as it costs to much. Take Concorde for example we can build it, fly it and design faster planes but we don’t have any commercial planes. Even though we can do it we cant have it. Makes little sense but its true. Ok we are improving are pcs and graphics all the time but surely that has to have a ceiling to? I believe we will get to a point where Nintendo/Microsoft and maybe Sony :P will not be able to sell there next gen console because of commercial sense.

We would be stuck at the same level of gaming, the games would come out but they would be so similar to previous games I mean how much difference can you have? If it is possible to improve on each console with graphics that’s about it unless there are new forms of media every 10 years like DVD.

There’s me going all pessimistic. I do think though we will get to a stage where we can play the game but in our heads or in a matrix kind of machine, where hopefully we wont be risking our lives. This is the only thing i can see in the long run for gaming how else can it go? If this does happen I do know we would be laughing back at us lot having to watch a TV to see what’s going on would seem ludicrous. Just look at the advancement in the past 15 years since the GB to now the up and coming DS. Such an improvement it really is a show for all to see how we have advanced in this field in such little time in human history.

People have tried to predict the future before and have failed miserably, I mean when the first robot was out people said it would be 10 years and there would be a robot in every home to do the housework, that is still not the case anyone have any idea when this could be as I quite like the idea of it :D But as I was saying I am probably totally wrong the gaming industry will turn in a new way, and develop the companies involved cant afford not to.

Anyone out there have any ideas where the gaming industry will be in the long run when we are all old and decrepit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.