GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monkeys, Women and Games."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 16:22
Regular
I feel that the answer to the question of why women don’t play games as much as guys do must lie in the actual structure of the human brain, because the pattern of women staying away from games is so widespread. In all parts of the world.

I don’t care what nearly all statistics have said about women making up 40% of the gaming market. This is completely not true, and I can tell by just looking around my own surroundings and even the forums. Women are a very small percentage of the total game playing market, and there has to be a reason for this. I would like to propose a possible explanation, and a possible solution....

Gaming is a male hobby, look around the market and research into the future of gaming and you will find the answer, the males have evolved with gaming, just as we evolved from nature, gaming is now in our male instincts. A lot of what men and women feel, think and do is instinctive. Hunger, fear, anger, pleasure, etc.. are all behaviors that animals and humans have in common. Both males and females were born with these emotions and behaviors in order to help us survive, just like the other animals on this planet, including the monkeys...

The point I am trying to make is that the concept of ‘pleasure’ that we feel while doing certain things is a kind of action that nature has developed to get us to do the things that nature wants us to do. For example, nature wants us to reproduce, therefore sex is pleasant. On a less extreme level, we experience subtle but no less intense pleasure when doing gaming things, such as completing a game, or beating someone in a multiplayer bout, or even winning a gameaday. When males use expressions like "it was better than sex" we are trying to describe these intense feelings of pleasure we get from doing things that are not commonly thought of as pleasurable by the females.

Woman don’t seem to get this pleasure from games like males, they seem to play and have no emotional involvement in completing or playing the game, they seem to always scream? Gaming will continue to be a male dominated activity as long as males have larger emotional statis in the gaming world.

What needs to happen for the gaming world to bring the females into the games is attack them with advertising and products, maybe a game for just females in mind wouldn’t be that bad of an idea? As long as the females are playing and being a part of the gaming world, they will understand that to play properly and become attached to games, they need to have emotions.

Nature designed ‘play’ to help both males and females survive. In order to get us to play, nature makes it a pleasant experience. The majority of women find play and pleasure in babies, shopping bargains and clothes. The majority of men find play and pleasure in sex, gaming and sport.

Can this be changed, or is it just part of life?
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
I feel that the answer to the question of why women don’t play games as much as guys do must lie in the actual structure of the human brain, because the pattern of women staying away from games is so widespread. In all parts of the world.

I don’t care what nearly all statistics have said about women making up 40% of the gaming market. This is completely not true, and I can tell by just looking around my own surroundings and even the forums. Women are a very small percentage of the total game playing market, and there has to be a reason for this. I would like to propose a possible explanation, and a possible solution....

Gaming is a male hobby, look around the market and research into the future of gaming and you will find the answer, the males have evolved with gaming, just as we evolved from nature, gaming is now in our male instincts. A lot of what men and women feel, think and do is instinctive. Hunger, fear, anger, pleasure, etc.. are all behaviors that animals and humans have in common. Both males and females were born with these emotions and behaviors in order to help us survive, just like the other animals on this planet, including the monkeys...

The point I am trying to make is that the concept of ‘pleasure’ that we feel while doing certain things is a kind of action that nature has developed to get us to do the things that nature wants us to do. For example, nature wants us to reproduce, therefore sex is pleasant. On a less extreme level, we experience subtle but no less intense pleasure when doing gaming things, such as completing a game, or beating someone in a multiplayer bout, or even winning a gameaday. When males use expressions like "it was better than sex" we are trying to describe these intense feelings of pleasure we get from doing things that are not commonly thought of as pleasurable by the females.

Woman don’t seem to get this pleasure from games like males, they seem to play and have no emotional involvement in completing or playing the game, they seem to always scream? Gaming will continue to be a male dominated activity as long as males have larger emotional statis in the gaming world.

What needs to happen for the gaming world to bring the females into the games is attack them with advertising and products, maybe a game for just females in mind wouldn’t be that bad of an idea? As long as the females are playing and being a part of the gaming world, they will understand that to play properly and become attached to games, they need to have emotions.

Nature designed ‘play’ to help both males and females survive. In order to get us to play, nature makes it a pleasant experience. The majority of women find play and pleasure in babies, shopping bargains and clothes. The majority of men find play and pleasure in sex, gaming and sport.

Can this be changed, or is it just part of life?
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:39
Regular
Women don't play games as they have better things to do. Ironing, cleaning, cooking, washing up etc.

They have no spare time for fun things like gaming.

:-)
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:49
Regular
"everyone says it"
YH, thats a bit of a sexist thing to say?
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:50
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Just prodding jess a bit, hang on..
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:52
Regular
er-no wrote:
> YH, thats a bit of a sexist thing to say?

I was joking, hence the smiley face, :-)

I agree that something needs to be done to get more girls into gaming, but what? release another barbie game so Grix can review it?
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:53
Regular
"everyone says it"
If you notice most girls don't like gaming or anything to do with it, maybe more games directed at the 'age ten years' would attract more girls to gaming?
Tue 19/06/01 at 16:54
Regular
"A square watermelon"
I tend to avoid all house work I can and stay on the computer. The problem is, gaming is advertised as a male hobby. The lack of girls in it already doesn't help new girls come in or change it's image. It's quite a vicious circle really.
Girls can and do enjoy gaming, I think it's the gaming image that keeps alot of them away.
Tue 19/06/01 at 17:13
Regular
This is about the oldest topic i've hear about again and again!
Girls can play games if they want to, they aren't great at it but at least let them play!
Tue 19/06/01 at 17:15
Some are good! Possibly...
Tue 19/06/01 at 17:18
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Iguana's pretty good at UT...she'll deny this, but she's too modest. Has problems with lag on the 'net though, and she seems quite good at Black and white too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.