GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ive killed my hard drive..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/06/06 at 10:59
Regular
"lets go back"
...which is a bit rubbish really, isnt it.

IT was my second drive which was used for storage of MP3's etc so Ive lost 100GB of music and movies, unless of course anyone knows how I can access a drive that wont let my computer boot once its plugged in.

Seen as that is probably not possible, where is a good place to buy a new drive.
Tue 20/06/06 at 10:59
Regular
"lets go back"
...which is a bit rubbish really, isnt it.

IT was my second drive which was used for storage of MP3's etc so Ive lost 100GB of music and movies, unless of course anyone knows how I can access a drive that wont let my computer boot once its plugged in.

Seen as that is probably not possible, where is a good place to buy a new drive.
Tue 20/06/06 at 11:04
Regular
Reading about this and other peoples experience make me very nervous because my computer has only one harddrive and if I lose it then I lose about 10 years worth of "collecting" from the internet.
Tue 20/06/06 at 11:10
Regular
"incognito"
And the lesson is.....

Backup anything you can't afford to lose!

Dvd's are the easiest answer, although you could always buy a cheap hard drive and use it to keep copies on, that's what I do.

It sounds as if your hard drive has gone though, I feel for you because I've been there myself.
Tue 20/06/06 at 11:33
Regular
yeah I really should get a DVD Writer, I don't know why I havent got one already. I'm sure they're pretty cheap now.
Tue 20/06/06 at 11:42
"Are you sure?"
Depending on much your data is worth to you, you could try SpinRite from Gibson Research: [URL]http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm[/URL]

Another option would be to put the drive in an external drive enclosure and see if you can access the data thay way..
Wed 21/06/06 at 10:31
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive fixed it. It turns out the drive was fine and the cable was the problem. Silly me.

*goes to back up everything important*
Wed 21/06/06 at 11:06
"Are you sure?"
Glad to hear you've got it sorted.

If you (or anyone!) are interested in some decent backup software I can strongly recommend SyncBack (Free edition) from Two Bright Sparks - [URL]http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback[/URL]

I use this software every day to backup files between 4 PC's an external hard drive and a USB flash drive.

Once you've set things up you can back everything up with a single click or even schedule automatic backups.

It can backup files locally or over a LAN or via FTP, etc, etc, etc. - it has more functionality and options than most people will ever need!
Sat 24/06/06 at 15:31
Regular
"Sgt Kelso"
Be carefull when you pull cables off - tabs are usually fitted now.

(ribbon stripe to pin 1)

If you have intermittant 'drive not seen' problems, by holding the IDE or SCSI connector up to the light, you MAY see the central section slightly wider and even exposing the metal pins which bite into the conductors.

Another thing to be aware of is if you add an extra hard rive or cd to the same IDE cable - you should either set both to cable select or one as master, the other slave - else your pc will take ages trying to juggle the conflict.

If you put a floppy cable on the wrong way, the floppy led will stay on continuously

any probs just ask
Mon 26/06/06 at 13:25
Regular
"lets go back"
Ive got my drives as master and slave on one IDE cable. Is there a way to add a third hard drive?
Mon 26/06/06 at 21:42
Regular
"Mooching around"
Ahh that's nothing:

My account have been hacked and abused by viruses so much, it's actually funny. First, the internet just floods constantly with pop-ups; its not usable. Next, the hard-drive manages to format itself, losing everything. Not just word files etc. I mean everything, the computed rebooted and had to build all of its drives from scratch.. yay.
Now, the only administrator account on the computer, has somehow locked itself out, and since no one else has admin privilages it can't be unlocked, and all my files and programs cannot be re-installed.

Like I say, it's funny really...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.