GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"half-life 2 versions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Thu 02/09/04 at 05:04
Regular
Half-life 2 is being released as three different versions, as in

copied from halflifesource.com

Start of Quote

Half-Life 2: Cheap Edition

Gabe Newell describes says this edition will, "have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market [package'> (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world)." In other words, this is version of the game is for casual gamers who don't really have much interest in playing online or downloading mods. Or cheapskates.

Half-Life 2: Standard Edition

This is the regular version of Half-Life 2 most gamers will probably want to buy. Gabe says this, "is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer [package'> that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX." This version will probably retail for $49.99, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition

This will probably be some $80 or so monstrosity for you insane hardcore types. It'll probably come in some fancy all-leather case or something classy enough to bury your own grandparents in. Gabe says it'll contain, "lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff." Vague, yet intriguing!

End of Quote

Which version of the game is on sale here at special reserve, because I don't want the cheap edition, as I will want to play mods and multiplay.
But I pre-ordered it over a year ago, and I don't know which one I ordered
as I bulk ordered some games and the transaction number doesn't work on the trace function here.
Thu 02/09/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
westie wrote:
> You can get Half life 2 collectors edition for $60 at
> [URL]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=3951&dept=3944&product_id=3132291&path=0:3944:3951:3954:95337:103942[/URL]

But they only ship to US postal addresses AFAIK.
Thu 02/09/04 at 21:19
Regular
You can get Half life 2 collectors edition for $60 at [URL]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=3951&dept=3944&product_id=3132291&path=0:3944:3951:3954:95337:103942[/URL]
Thu 02/09/04 at 17:15
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Ah, so the Unreal one didn't feature heavly in the UK then. I would have like that tutorial/guide DVD though.
Thu 02/09/04 at 17:12
Regular
"Touched!"
My Local Gamestation has had 1 copy of UT 2004 CE in the tin case for ages, £50 though!
Thu 02/09/04 at 16:36
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I know that there is a Doom 3 "special Packaging Edition" which is what I have, and is essentially just the same game but with a piece of card around the box, with the same cover art. The special edition I think comes in a tin, and has different cover art, but I don't know what extra's it may contain.

The UT2204 Special edition comes in a big tin box, has two DVD's (one the game, another a 150 video teaching you how to make custom content) and a Logitech headset. It sold out almost straight away since the big American shopping sores bought many of the copies, which where sold to pre-orders.
Thu 02/09/04 at 16:24
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Was the Doom 3 collectors edition just a different box? Different box art? And what extras did that Unreal Tour 2004 have?
Thu 02/09/04 at 11:56
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I was close to getting the Doom3 collectors Edition, but only found it on the day the normal copy I bought was being shipped to me. Also missed out on the UT2004 CE since it was in short supply.

I'd like to get the HL2 Collector Edition but fear it may too also be limited. Either way I'll just be happy playing the game.
Thu 02/09/04 at 06:30
Regular
As pointless as it is for me, I'll probably end up buying the Collectors Edition.
Thu 02/09/04 at 05:04
Regular
Half-life 2 is being released as three different versions, as in

copied from halflifesource.com

Start of Quote

Half-Life 2: Cheap Edition

Gabe Newell describes says this edition will, "have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market [package'> (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world)." In other words, this is version of the game is for casual gamers who don't really have much interest in playing online or downloading mods. Or cheapskates.

Half-Life 2: Standard Edition

This is the regular version of Half-Life 2 most gamers will probably want to buy. Gabe says this, "is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer [package'> that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX." This version will probably retail for $49.99, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Half-Life 2: Collector's Edition

This will probably be some $80 or so monstrosity for you insane hardcore types. It'll probably come in some fancy all-leather case or something classy enough to bury your own grandparents in. Gabe says it'll contain, "lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff." Vague, yet intriguing!

End of Quote

Which version of the game is on sale here at special reserve, because I don't want the cheap edition, as I will want to play mods and multiplay.
But I pre-ordered it over a year ago, and I don't know which one I ordered
as I bulk ordered some games and the transaction number doesn't work on the trace function here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.