GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Second Sight first impressions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Second Sight'.
Thu 02/09/04 at 14:34
Regular
Got this morning and I've been playing it for a couple of hours.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of it. It's obvious that Free Radical have taken time trying to make it more storyline driven than the TimeSplitters games, and to an extent they seem to have succeeded; the voice-acting is a bit stale and does occasionally destract from the experience, but on a whole it's alright.

The actual gameplay seems a little by-the-numbers to be honest. Messing around with your psychic powers is a lot of fun, blowing up computers and things never seems to get tiring, but then when it comes to combat things seems a little underwhelming. You can try to throw things at what sometimes seems to be an endless flow of enemies, use your psi-blast or pick up a weapon and begin blasting, but more often than not it's a case of who can shoot quicker rather than taking cover and picking people off.

The aiming system, it has to be said, is very good, and the time I've taken playing it has been a lot of fun, it just feels like there's something missing.

There are some wonderful touches, browsing through different peoples computers is a stroke of genius, and oen particular moment will have you grinning (although I won't spoil it).

It's also a little worrying that I already have all-but-one of my psychic abilities and I'm hardly two hours in yet.

I can see it getting better with progress, but I'm just not entirely sure if this was the right path to take for FRD at the moment. They do arcadey very, very, well and from what I've played this seems like it could be just too tall an order for them.

I may have to purchase Psi-Ops for my telekenetic goodness, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. I'll post more once I've given it some more time.
Thu 02/09/04 at 18:11
Regular
Gerrid and Ashman, you are both crap. So meh. Kirby is great, only unappreciated by those who are stupid, the Japanese love it, and so do I. As for JFG, the controls were really crappy on the N64. I gave it a little go but just couldn't be bothered due to the annoyances. If I got it before I got my Cube I probably would have given it more time, but alas, I didn't.

Anyway, the more I play Second Sight the more I love it. Scaring guards and scientists is great fun. Once you start the proper psychic action it gets really, really good, just a bit of a slow starter. There also seems to be incentive to return to already-complete levels, whcih will come in handy if it as short as magazines are saying.

So far it's very tasty indeed, and I've hardly played it yet.
Thu 02/09/04 at 16:38
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Since you awarded Kirby Air Ride 9 and 10 out of 10, your opinion has lost all meaning to me.

:^)
Thu 02/09/04 at 16:15
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Meh, I'm still getting tomorrow. FRD = geniuses.

Is that geneui?
Thu 02/09/04 at 16:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Since you said you didn't like JFG, your opinion has lost all meaning to me.
Thu 02/09/04 at 14:36
Regular
Might get it when it goes cheaper.
Thu 02/09/04 at 14:34
Regular
Got this morning and I've been playing it for a couple of hours.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of it. It's obvious that Free Radical have taken time trying to make it more storyline driven than the TimeSplitters games, and to an extent they seem to have succeeded; the voice-acting is a bit stale and does occasionally destract from the experience, but on a whole it's alright.

The actual gameplay seems a little by-the-numbers to be honest. Messing around with your psychic powers is a lot of fun, blowing up computers and things never seems to get tiring, but then when it comes to combat things seems a little underwhelming. You can try to throw things at what sometimes seems to be an endless flow of enemies, use your psi-blast or pick up a weapon and begin blasting, but more often than not it's a case of who can shoot quicker rather than taking cover and picking people off.

The aiming system, it has to be said, is very good, and the time I've taken playing it has been a lot of fun, it just feels like there's something missing.

There are some wonderful touches, browsing through different peoples computers is a stroke of genius, and oen particular moment will have you grinning (although I won't spoil it).

It's also a little worrying that I already have all-but-one of my psychic abilities and I'm hardly two hours in yet.

I can see it getting better with progress, but I'm just not entirely sure if this was the right path to take for FRD at the moment. They do arcadey very, very, well and from what I've played this seems like it could be just too tall an order for them.

I may have to purchase Psi-Ops for my telekenetic goodness, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see. I'll post more once I've given it some more time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.