GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"THE REAL ISSUES OF PIRACY"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
Recently there has been a lot of talk about how to stop piracy, and why it happens. I thought I'd just post my completely radical views on this issue (should lead to a lengthy debate!)...

When you are buying games what do you get for your money? Answer: A group of 1s and 0s. Nothing more. For £50? IS that really worth it? Answer: No! Most of this money goes to games retailers, with little actually going to developers.

And this is the cause of most piracy! The average Joe Bloggs can't be bothered to pay £50 for a new game so decides to buy a pirate copy. To add to this, most new games are poor, and people often feel cheated when shelling out £50 for what is a piece of rubbish... thus leading them into pirating games.

There are, of course, the "hardcore" piartes who will copy anything and everything whether it is good or bad.. but I will not discuss these, instead featuring on the average Joe Bloggs pirate.

Now, how can you stop piracy?

Well, most people seem to think that the best way to do it is to make it harder to copy games (using the ROM thing on LMA manager, or using proprietry formatts for example). However, I think that this isn't the answer. The answer is that it is the publisher's faults that games are pirated... read on.

Why is it the publisher's faults? Basically because of the following reasons:

1) Most published games are aweful. If bad games were never published I believe more people would be happy to buy proper copies

2) Games cost too much. If they were lower then more people would see an incentive to buy original copies.

3) All you get is a group of 1s and 0s. If there was more to games than this then people would be more keen to get the originals

So, my solution. To begin, when developing games, do so with all language support right from the start. This will save huge amounts of money, and would allow more universal releases. In addition, how about developing PAL and NTSC system support from day one... thus allowing universal releases dates for all games, and making sure the PAL conversions are of better quality.

In addition, publishers should be responsible for only letting good games come out. If they checked developers' ideas from the start and reviewed projects (as they are meant to) then they could put an end to bad games being made.

So, now we have good quality, cheap games that have universal release dates and don't suffer from PAL slowdown.

Now all that is left is to make games more than a collection of 1s and 0s. To give you an example of what I mean, I recently bought the Daft Punk album. In the CD case comes a card with a unique number on that allows access to the web site which has several unique features. Without a real card you cannot get to the web site (in theory). Thus the customer has bought more than just a 60 min album.

Why can't all games do the same. How about including a code with games. Only real games come with the code, and this allows you to enter competitions on the web. Oh, and make these competitions good! Like in a fifa game, u might only be allowed to play online against someone if you have got a code from the game. And when you first register, the web server saves the code AND the IP address of the computer you are on (or console), so people cannot just use your code.

There are so many things that can be done to prevent casual piracy. Can anyone think of any more? Anyone have differing views? If so please mention them!

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Recently there has been a lot of talk about how to stop piracy, and why it happens. I thought I'd just post my completely radical views on this issue (should lead to a lengthy debate!)...

When you are buying games what do you get for your money? Answer: A group of 1s and 0s. Nothing more. For £50? IS that really worth it? Answer: No! Most of this money goes to games retailers, with little actually going to developers.

And this is the cause of most piracy! The average Joe Bloggs can't be bothered to pay £50 for a new game so decides to buy a pirate copy. To add to this, most new games are poor, and people often feel cheated when shelling out £50 for what is a piece of rubbish... thus leading them into pirating games.

There are, of course, the "hardcore" piartes who will copy anything and everything whether it is good or bad.. but I will not discuss these, instead featuring on the average Joe Bloggs pirate.

Now, how can you stop piracy?

Well, most people seem to think that the best way to do it is to make it harder to copy games (using the ROM thing on LMA manager, or using proprietry formatts for example). However, I think that this isn't the answer. The answer is that it is the publisher's faults that games are pirated... read on.

Why is it the publisher's faults? Basically because of the following reasons:

1) Most published games are aweful. If bad games were never published I believe more people would be happy to buy proper copies

2) Games cost too much. If they were lower then more people would see an incentive to buy original copies.

3) All you get is a group of 1s and 0s. If there was more to games than this then people would be more keen to get the originals

So, my solution. To begin, when developing games, do so with all language support right from the start. This will save huge amounts of money, and would allow more universal releases. In addition, how about developing PAL and NTSC system support from day one... thus allowing universal releases dates for all games, and making sure the PAL conversions are of better quality.

In addition, publishers should be responsible for only letting good games come out. If they checked developers' ideas from the start and reviewed projects (as they are meant to) then they could put an end to bad games being made.

So, now we have good quality, cheap games that have universal release dates and don't suffer from PAL slowdown.

Now all that is left is to make games more than a collection of 1s and 0s. To give you an example of what I mean, I recently bought the Daft Punk album. In the CD case comes a card with a unique number on that allows access to the web site which has several unique features. Without a real card you cannot get to the web site (in theory). Thus the customer has bought more than just a 60 min album.

Why can't all games do the same. How about including a code with games. Only real games come with the code, and this allows you to enter competitions on the web. Oh, and make these competitions good! Like in a fifa game, u might only be allowed to play online against someone if you have got a code from the game. And when you first register, the web server saves the code AND the IP address of the computer you are on (or console), so people cannot just use your code.

There are so many things that can be done to prevent casual piracy. Can anyone think of any more? Anyone have differing views? If so please mention them!

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:40
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Firstly, if the quality of all games went up, people wouldn't have more of an incentive to buy original copies, their standards of 'what is a good game' would just go up.

Making games cheaper can work in some instances, but it's really not going to have much effect until prices can compete with the pirates - a situation whihc is economically totally unfeasable.

As for the ones and zeros, and codes and things, that's not really going to change anything. If people wanted the submission codes, they could look them up from somewhere. Software can also be cracked so the codes aren't needed. PC software is cracked all the time. It really wouldn't make much difference.
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:44
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If you are paying £50 you are not doing it right! Have a word with Tony.
Sat 16/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
SonicRav wrote:
> Recently there has been a lot of talk about how to stop piracy, and
> why it happens.

Yes, all started by YOU Rav...
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:
> Recently there has been a lot of talk about
> how to stop piracy, and
> why it happens.

Yes, all started by
> YOU Rav...

actually, there have been 2 topics in the chat room, and it has been brought up in this room once this week!

Anyway, Vnom has a good point... if all software was good then surely what was once good would become average... And this is such a good point that I'm gonn go with him on this one!

And turbo... although the post was a joke, that is also a good point. Unknown to some in FOG, a majority of gamers are uninformed about games... and therefore buy simpson's wrestling, or Superman 64. They can feel so hard done by this that they turn to pirating.

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:07
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Anyone planning on buying a pirated Gamecub game are going to be in for a shock as the disks are supposably unable to be copied. This means anyone wanting to play a GC game will have to shell out for them. Obviously they will all be worth the money though..and the wait (cough).

(;o) Happy thinking about the GC.
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
MJswerve wrote:
> Anyone planning on buying a pirated Gamecub game are going to be in
> for a shock as the disks are supposably unable to be copied. This
> means anyone wanting to play a GC game will have to shell out for
> them. Obviously they will all be worth the money though..and the
> wait (cough).

(;o) Happy thinking about the GC.

actually, there has yet to be any system not cracked... ever!

Think about it.. the DC DOES NOT USE CDs! It used GDs... a propietry format that cannot be got at by crooks... just like the 8 inch discs...

so how did pirates get around it? Well, they programmed CDs in such a way that the console thinks that they are GDs... so it reads them like CDs and plays them like GDs!

Now, I'm sure the GC will play audio CDs... so in theory the same thing can happen!

Either that or pirates will cut DVDs down to size ;)

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:38
Regular
"gsybe you!"
People at my school copy games, and they get a little money from it. The fact is, if you couan get Ch/Man 01 for a fiver or less, and pay around £20 for it from SR what is the point?

It is even worse for music CDs.
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:09
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Cyclone wrote:
> People at my school copy games, and they get a little money from it.
> The fact is, if you couan get Ch/Man 01 for a fiver or less, and pay
> around £20 for it from SR what is the point?

It is even
> worse for music CDs.

i must confess... I copy music CDs... but make a point not to copy anything I will never buy... any ALWAYS old CDs... like David bowie, led zeppelin, old U2 stuff... I ALWAYS buy the latest CDs

But does that make what I do bad?

Sonic
Sat 16/06/01 at 22:14
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Good point SonicRav I suppose a non piratable game will probably never be invented. The crooks will always find out a way of pirating it. Speaking of pirating games my mate has a boot disk that he bought for 2 quid that fools the dreamcast into thinking it has a authentic game in the console when all it really has is a copied game in it. It works as well which is weird seeing how cheap it was. Gets on m nerves though thinking that I have to pay 30-50 quid to get the latest games when he can pay about 5 pounds for them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.