GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I need a new pc"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/09/04 at 15:23
Regular
Hi everyone im new to the forums and wondering if you could help me find a pc with a lot of memory, great for games, great for everyday tasks and under £600
Sun 12/09/04 at 23:58
Regular
"Fake Plastic Tree"
gaybys wrote:
> SemajaI wrote:
> Dear god someone who doesn't own a PC.
>
> Yeah, I think it was the fact that he posted on a forum that gave it
> away.

To defend my utterly moronic comment, I have a freind who technically HAS a pc only he can only really run MSN messenger and word, not game. I keep defining having a PC as having a good one that lets you run good games with high res.

However i will admit, i had to slap my head when i read that again.

*slaps head again*

ooooo too hard

*faints*
Sun 12/09/04 at 22:14
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I don't have enough money to have a console and run a decently specced PC. So I chose a PC becuase of a bunch of things I can't be bothered to list but they're just better for gaming in my opinion. Actually, theoretically, I don't have enough money to run a decent spec PC but I seem to manage somehow.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:17
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
SemajaI wrote:
> Dear god someone who doesn't own a PC.

Yeah, I think it was the fact that he posted on a forum that gave it away.
Sun 12/09/04 at 21:07
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I like consoles, but admittedly I like PC's a lot as well. Nice controls, great graphics, cheaper games, excellent multiplayers, large variety of games of all genres, amazing sounds, modding options, downloads and updates.. The list continues. The only thing weak is if you are playing with your mates it's better with a console due to the split screens, and also PC games tend to outpace PC's so you need to upgrade every now and then, whereas consoles stay the same.
Sun 12/09/04 at 17:00
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Sun 12/09/04 at 13:36
Regular
"Fake Plastic Tree"
speedrally2004 wrote:
> Pc is Not For Games there is Proper Console to play like
> 1.PS2
> 2.XBOX
> 3.GAMECUBE
> 4.GB ADVANCE
> AND THE PORTABLE CONSOLES COMING SOON WHY WASTE A COMPUTER ON GAMES?

Dear god someone who doesn't own a PC. A good PC beats ANY console hands down in power and performance and games. Consoles have good games and are good fun (i have a gamecube for things like rogue leader and metroid and zelda) but my PC is more used. 6.12 gigs of music, 3 seasons of babylon 5 2 seasons of scrubs, can play DVDs, much higher resolution than any console.

Anyway to answer your question a good PC can be built for around £600 but ideally you need to spend around £1000. However my advice at the moment is to wait till after christmas. New hardware is being released and should drop the prices of things around at the moment so you can get a good PC for less. Mine was £1000 or so about year and 3/4 ago and still runs almost everything with very high quality.

Good sites = www.overclockers.co.uk and www.multiplay.co.uk (the latter has good forums and are the people who do the LAN events i go to)

I also advise Pentium and Nvidia as processor and graphics card. Never had any problems with my p4 2ghz or geforce4 ti4600. Find out alot of imformation before you part with any money though. Get reviews from different sites, ask people. Best to check 10 times and pay once :)
Sun 12/09/04 at 12:49
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Sun 12/09/04 at 12:44
Regular
"Bicycle"
Mmmm... PC Games... Mmmm...
Sat 11/09/04 at 02:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
speedrally2004 wrote:
> AND THE PORTABLE CONSOLES COMING SOON WHY WASTE A COMPUTER ON GAMES?

Ahem, because: Cheaper games, better online gaming options, huge communities that add free content and downloads for games via supplied editors by developers, wider choice of games, mouse/keyboard set-up for FPS (I don't care who says otherwise, it's the only way you can play FPS as far as I'm concerned), Strategy games, the ability to customise your PC and keep it going long after it's used by date rather than play games that look decrepit due to ageing technology like consoles, better sound, better graphics, better choice.

Many people also need PC's for things other than gaming, it's just games are something PC's happen to be very good at.

Of course you'd have known all this if you didn't have your head between your legs, mumbling to yourself that because you think it's a waste of time and money, everyone else should as well. Do us all favour, next time you post a random brain fart of yours, think first.
Thu 09/09/04 at 22:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
speedrally2004 wrote:
> Pc is Not For Games there is Proper Console to play like

My copy of Doom 3 says different.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.