GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"spyware removal help for windows XP?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 05/09/04 at 21:54
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Right my computer has been badly affected by Spy ware and Ive tried alot of the free SPyware remover programmes however none of them have succesfully removed it.

I think I might have more luck if I manually go in to the msconfig and regedit programmes and try to delete it from there. i dont have a clue what to look for or how to do it though and I was wonderng if anyone knows any sites with good advice or who have any personal help they could give me...
Sun 05/09/04 at 21:54
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Right my computer has been badly affected by Spy ware and Ive tried alot of the free SPyware remover programmes however none of them have succesfully removed it.

I think I might have more luck if I manually go in to the msconfig and regedit programmes and try to delete it from there. i dont have a clue what to look for or how to do it though and I was wonderng if anyone knows any sites with good advice or who have any personal help they could give me...
Sun 05/09/04 at 22:14
Regular
A lot of spyware leaves settings and other junk in your registry, so there's no point going through all of it...

First download SpyBot S&D. It does work, trust me. Then, to prevent any future spyware from appearing download SpywareBlaster from javacoolsoftware.com.
Sun 05/09/04 at 22:48
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> A lot of spyware leaves settings and other junk in your registry, so
> there's no point going through all of it...
>
> First download SpyBot S&D. It does work, trust me. Then, to
> prevent any future spyware from appearing download SpywareBlaster
> from javacoolsoftware.com.

Are you sure this works? Ive downloaded it before and it dosnt seem to remove everything...

another question: how do i make sure all firewalls are disabled?
Sun 05/09/04 at 22:51
Regular
Why would you want to remove your firewall for?

You most probably haven't kept the prog up to update. Also, you have to regularly scan for the spyware - it's no good just installing it. However, the program does come with TeaTimer.exe, which I recommend you using.
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:00
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Why would you want to remove your firewall for?
>
> You most probably haven't kept the prog up to update. Also, you have
> to regularly scan for the spyware - it's no good just installing it.
> However, the program does come with TeaTimer.exe, which I recommend
> you using.

I have a firewall up and its preventing me from playing call of duty. I cant access all the servers in mulitplayer and im part of a clan which is quite annoying!
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:10
Regular
"8==="
Got a free program off a cover disc a while back. I beleive it was called AdAware / Ad Aware.

Good little prog for hunting down spyware.
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:11
Regular
"8==="
Zone Alarm's good too.
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:15
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
Hedfix wrote:
> Got a free program off a cover disc a while back. I beleive it was
> called AdAware / Ad Aware.
>
> Good little prog for hunting down spyware.

Can you download it?

Ive just finished running S&D for the 3rd time and there is one programme which keeps coming back no matter how many times I destroy it, do you think that I should try and search for it and destroy it manually?
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:21
Regular
Which firewall is it?

That one spyware is unavoidable, it's part of Internet Explorer. I'm guessing you mean the "Alexa" tag, with 5 entries?
Sun 05/09/04 at 23:23
Regular
"8==="
hmmm if that prgram that keep coming back is accessing the internet then go for Zone Alarm as that give you the option to block it.

Ad Aware is no doubt around for free somewhere (try some PC mag websites).

Turbo Nutter et al in the PC/Web design forum can probably help you a lot more than I can. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.