GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ESPN NFL Football 2k5"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Madden NFL 2005'.
Wed 08/09/04 at 20:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Got this game a few days ago and been having a good go at it inbetween MVP Baseball sessions and have to say i'm impressed with it but there's also little niggles to.

Firstly the gameplay, the game itself is absolutely great, players actually behave like real players now and unlike Madden 2004 (unfair i know to compare a year old game to it) when you tackle someone you feel like you're actually tackling a person now instead of just tackling a statue as the players arms and legs flail about as they get hit. Got all the usual spin and juke moves but the rushing game seems to be favoured over the passing game. There usually always is a running route opened up by your blockers each time but with the passing you can only hope for a 30 yard gain at the most.

However my niggle is with the Franchise mode, which seeing as it's the main part of the game is quite a major one. Everything seems far too complicated, sure you can get the computer to handle everything but then you end up with players you don't want and players getting traded you wanted to keep. Just trading someone is a chore in itself and hard work. Nowhere near as easy or properly designed as the franchise in Madden.

Graphics are great too, most realistic football game out there at the moment (until i get my sweaty palms on Madden this week or next probably) you can distinguish the players as they don't all look like they're from the same family but then with an ESPN game i'd expect good presentation and graphics.

Quite a decent game but despite it's goodness i don't think i'll be converted from my fondness of Madden this year.
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ooooh forgot to mention another impressive thing on the presentation side of things. During half time and full time you have the Chris Berman half/full time show where he basically shows highlights of the game (only stills though no video) of what happened in the game you just played. Was quite impressed that what was in the replays actually happened in game and it wasn't just pre-made clips that they'd show. Was quite impressed with that

Oh and the cheerleaders don't look like blow up dolls like in Madden 2004
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:31
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I want, but seeing as it isn't appearing on Gamecube, it's a nono.

So I'll just get Madden.
Wed 08/09/04 at 22:43
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Is a good game but like i said the Franchise is a bit too fiddly, but the games themselves are great. Even if the commentators do repeat themselves alot
Wed 08/09/04 at 22:40
Regular
I want this game so much.
But Sega are naff and don't make sports games for the coob, and I'm not buying it for the PS2 or X-box because I jsut can't get used to the controllers being - too fiddly for the x-box and too small for the ps2.

I'kll have tio settle for madden.
Wed 08/09/04 at 21:12
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Euch. Oh well.
Wed 08/09/04 at 21:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ermmm...............no
Wed 08/09/04 at 21:10
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
lalakersrule wrote:
> Graphics are great too, most realistic football game out there at the
> moment.

Call it american football. Do it!
Wed 08/09/04 at 20:04
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Got this game a few days ago and been having a good go at it inbetween MVP Baseball sessions and have to say i'm impressed with it but there's also little niggles to.

Firstly the gameplay, the game itself is absolutely great, players actually behave like real players now and unlike Madden 2004 (unfair i know to compare a year old game to it) when you tackle someone you feel like you're actually tackling a person now instead of just tackling a statue as the players arms and legs flail about as they get hit. Got all the usual spin and juke moves but the rushing game seems to be favoured over the passing game. There usually always is a running route opened up by your blockers each time but with the passing you can only hope for a 30 yard gain at the most.

However my niggle is with the Franchise mode, which seeing as it's the main part of the game is quite a major one. Everything seems far too complicated, sure you can get the computer to handle everything but then you end up with players you don't want and players getting traded you wanted to keep. Just trading someone is a chore in itself and hard work. Nowhere near as easy or properly designed as the franchise in Madden.

Graphics are great too, most realistic football game out there at the moment (until i get my sweaty palms on Madden this week or next probably) you can distinguish the players as they don't all look like they're from the same family but then with an ESPN game i'd expect good presentation and graphics.

Quite a decent game but despite it's goodness i don't think i'll be converted from my fondness of Madden this year.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.