GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A dream zombie game - let's do the shuffling undead justice."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/09/04 at 21:45
Regular
"Braaains"
You'd think with all the braiiiiins, sorry, brains, and programming talent that the videogame industry has seen over the past twenty years or so, that someone would produce a game to do justice to that horror movie staple, the zombie. Oh, I know we've had the Resident Evil games but the makers of those games failed to comprehend where the true terror of the living dead lies, relying instead on mutant monsters and the like to make the game scary.

Because, let's face it, most games that use zombies, the Resident Evil games included, just put you in a room with a few of the living dead who shuffle slowly towards you, allowing you to leisurely dispatch them with your ample supply of ammo. There is supposedly a new zombie game coming, 'City of the Dead', a collaboration between George Romero and ex-ID man American McGee, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I suspect it'll follow the same tired format route as Resident Evil and its brethren.

So why has there never been a really good zombie game? Mainly because games so far fail to display a basic understanding of the programmers behalf of what zombies are about, and why they're scary. And I mean proper zombies, as seen in Shaun of the Dead, not the running variety as seen in 28 days and the new 'Dawn of the Dead' A single zombie is not frightening - even if you find yourself without a weapon you could still outrun it easily. A huge horde of zombies, on the other hand, is pretty damn frightning. Especially if you have no obvious escape route. Clearly today's consoles have the power to render large numbers of characters, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's what my dream zombie game would be like. The game would take place in a city under siege from the living dead, with the dead walking the streets in increasing numbers as the undead infection spread. This infection would spread in real-time, and you'd be able to look out of your window and see the cops trying desperately to combat the walking corpses, with little success. You could even go down and join them and help them fight the dead though you'd eventually be pushed back by the dead and have to retreat. All of this would be generated in real-time, not scripted, so as you moved through the city you'd witness other survivors fighting for their lives and be able to choose to help them or let them die. If you did manage to rescue them they'd perhaps team up with you and you'd then be able to give them orders and arm them to help fight the living dead.

Not that you could ever turn the tide of the zombie epidemic, that is - the game would be about survival. You'd have the freedom of the whole city, be able to enter shops and buildings and take whatever you liked, only limited by your carrying capacity. Of course, the dead would be able to follow you in too, and you'd have to find ways to block doorways and other entry to points to stop the dead getting in. You could keep running, but the city would be so massive that you'd have to stop to sleep at some point which would mean holing up somewhere. If you had someone else with you they could keep you watch while you slept, otherwise you'd have to pray that your location was secure.

The game would continue until you were killed or you escaped the city. There could even be a multiplayer mode, featuring a smaller caled down version of the city, where you could interact with other players. Devious players could pretend to go along with another player's plans then throw them to the zombies and steal their things when they weren't looking. All of this, with the possible exception of the non-scripted NPCs, would be possible using today's technology, and I know I'd sure as hell rather play this game than another tedious 3D shooter set in darkened corridors. And given the resurgence in the popularity of zombie films, with Shaun of the Dead out and Resident Evil Apocalypse on the way, a game such as this would surely sell by the truckload. I know I'd buy it.
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:16
Regular
"Braaains"
Yes, Resident Evil 3 *did* deliver more than Res 2 did - you actually got to explore various locations in the city. Plus there was Nemesis though mutants and non-zomb monsters would have no place in my ideal zombie game.
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The trouble with Resi 2, you spent far too much time waltzing around the police station completing "Elaborate" puzzles to open doors. A disappointment, but Resi 3 was much better.

I've also got a GC, but haven't seen much to get excited about Resi 4. Looks like an action game, and less of the survival horror that made the series so fun to play. It doesn't matter though, Silent Hill beat Resident Evil years ago, and I'm currently having good (scary) fun with SH4 right now.
Sat 25/09/04 at 18:39
Regular
"Braaains"
cookie monster wrote:
> Sounds pretty much like resident evil 2 to me.

Nope, nothing like it. Resident Evil 2 promised city based action but turned into an underground shooter game. I'm talking about a game where you can roam an entire city in non-linear fashion.
Wed 15/09/04 at 07:17
Regular
"Dunemaul NE Hunter"
Firstly....buy a Gamecube. Secondly....wait for Resi 4. Although I'm a PC person at heart there are some games (like Resi 4) that cannot be missed.
Tue 14/09/04 at 18:51
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Possum_Number2 wrote:
> I've only read minimal parts of the post but for your information,
> there is a zombie game coming out early 2005.
>
> It's a first person shooter and looks awesome. I can't remember what
> it's called tho :(

could it be??? House of the Dead 4?
Tue 14/09/04 at 14:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
FPS + Zombies = A match made in heaven. Just so long as they are the proper, slow moving zombies and attack in hoards.
Mon 13/09/04 at 13:21
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
I've only read minimal parts of the post but for your information, there is a zombie game coming out early 2005.

It's a first person shooter and looks awesome. I can't remember what it's called tho :(
Fri 10/09/04 at 02:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
GTA + Zombies, interesting combination, though the City based action genre isn't renowned for quality games.

Aside from the GTA series and Mafia, there are an awful lot of stinkers out there, The Getaway, True Crime, Driver 3 et al, so I'll not build any hopes up in case this one turns out to be a floater as well. If it's not, then I'll like it more.
Fri 10/09/04 at 00:17
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Hmmm, wasn't the city a location for 'The House Of The Dead 2'? I thought the area looked a bit like Venice!

Mind you, that could be either a gem or a stinker. Let's hope they don't stop and give up halfway through development.

That would be a disaster!
Wed 08/09/04 at 23:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Sounds pretty much like resident evil 2 to me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.