GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Domain Hosting"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/12/06 at 20:34
Regular
I have several domain names all hosted on Freeola. Recently while I was re thinking my web sites I had them pointing to another web site hosted on freeola. So today the time came to put these domains back to their original web space! all went well I started at 7AM and it said allow 20 minutes! well 3 phone calls later and all I can acheive is freeolas own error 404 page! very frustrating.

Now 9.45PM forgot to add that :-)

Kev
Wed 03/01/07 at 16:38
Regular
ok
Mon 18/12/06 at 01:39
Regular
Sorted thanks :-)
Sun 17/12/06 at 15:33
Regular
Just called the call centre and a man that i spoke with has done some tweeking and it may resolve today or tomorrow.

Cheers
Kev
Sun 17/12/06 at 14:38
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
I've just checked out two of your three sites, two of them are working from this end (perhaps trying to clear your cache if you've not already), however one of them is just coming up as not registered when I check out the WHOIS for it. Weird.

And thank you, merry Christmas to you too!
Sun 17/12/06 at 14:25
Regular
Well it makes sense what you say, but its Sunday afternoon and two of them still aint working, however its Sunday and tomorrow is another day :-) am sure they will be up and running tomorrow, its not like am losing £millions waiting on them lol

Merry Xmas to all Freeola Staff by the way Ho Ho Ho.

Kev
Sun 17/12/06 at 13:46
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Good Afternoon!

When you change web space, the time this takes to resolve is entirely upon which server you happen to be on at the time.

If for example, your user name (sr0 number) ends in a 4, this represents which server your space is currently being hosted on. If you move your site to another user name that also ends on a 4, this will probably only take around 20 minutes.

When you move your site onto a different server e.g. 7, this can take around 24 hours to update, due to the DNS having to resolve and update between the two servers.

So really it can take between 20 mintutes and 24 hours.

Hope this helps.
Sun 17/12/06 at 12:44
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I didn't think that Freeola actually did any DNS changes when you changed which web space a URL pointed to, but rather just changed the internal system pointers (hence the 20 mins and not 24 hour note)? As I thought any domain name hosted at Freeola pointed to a single DNS address, and Freeola did all the work from that point on.

Maybe I'm wrong!
Sun 17/12/06 at 10:53
Regular
Hi
Yes I have uploaded the index pages but they are meant to be pointing to another web folder (domain) that is now working but I still have two that are not working.

I Know that it can take more than 20 mins as I have been at this for many years now, and understand about the 24 hr rule, but why do freeola say 20mins when in fact its more often than not more than 20 mins? its my gripe for the weekend, am sure the other two will change but its really frustrating

Kev
Sun 17/12/06 at 09:27
"Are you sure?"
Even though you see a message saying "wait at least 20 mins" it can take some hours (sometimes up to 24) for the DNS changes to filter through.

Are things working this morning?
(I'm also assuming you've uploaded an index page correctly, else you will still get a 404!)
Sat 16/12/06 at 20:34
Regular
I have several domain names all hosted on Freeola. Recently while I was re thinking my web sites I had them pointing to another web site hosted on freeola. So today the time came to put these domains back to their original web space! all went well I started at 7AM and it said allow 20 minutes! well 3 phone calls later and all I can acheive is freeolas own error 404 page! very frustrating.

Now 9.45PM forgot to add that :-)

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.