GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"England - The Squad"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/06/01 at 15:38
Regular
Below is a run down of all the players, together with my view in whether he should be in the squad or not:

David Seaman

Getting on a bit now. His manager Arsene Wenger claims that he can still produce the goods at the highest level. I am not too convinced due to the dreadful mistakes that he has made in some recent matches. I would keep him in the squad as he has certainly proved a useful player in the past. A bit more reliability and seeing him regain his old form will see him straight back in goal for my team, no problem! But he is not getting any younger and his International career may well be coming to an end. Lets just hope that his last few years are golden for England.

Nigel Martyn

A keeper that has failed to be given a real chance at the top level. This is a shame, as I feel that this Leeds keeper has a lot to offer, and apart from the odd game for Enland, his talent has not really been used to the full. I believe he is out injured at the moment but I hope to see him fit and well again soon. I would have this man in my squad as he has proved very reliable for Leeds many a time.

Richard Wright

Was given a chance in the friendly against Malta which he did not really take to be honest. This keeper is quite young and certainly does have a lot of potential. I would keep him in my squad for backup, and I feel that this man can appear regularly in goal for England in a few years time.

Ian Walker

Ian is quite a good keper, however I do not feel that he is quite world class quality as he is a bit too unreliable for me. Ian's main problem at the moment is trying to get back into the Spurs team. Ian has only been given one chance for England, where he was harshly blamed for costing England victory in the World Cup qualifier against Italy. Maybe if he manages to get in the Tottenham team and keep his top form regular, me may see Ian back in the England squad. But for now, I would leave him out.

David James

The Aston Villa keeper has been nicknamed 'Calamity James' after making some howling mistakes in goal for his club. He certainly has all the attributes of a potential top keeper, but until he starts to become a bit more reliable and consitent, he will not be making waves on the big stage. I would leave him out for now.

Paul Robinson

Yes, I know. Many jaws would have dropped open after seeing this name associated with the England team and many of you may even be asking who he is. Paul has played some truly excellent games for Leeds in goals recently, including a brilliant match against AC Milan, where he managed to pull off some brilliant saves to assist Leeds to a win. Not a first squad player yet, but keep your eye on him. I can see this player becoming big if he carrys on the way he is going and forefills his potential. And remember, you heard it here first!!

Phil Neville

This left back has been scape-goated perhaps a little harshly for Englands exit of Euro 2000 for giving away a last minute penalty against Romania. It was certainly a rather stupid thing to do, but I do not feel that you blame one player for the failure of a whole team. Phil has been known to put in some blinding performances and also has proved solid in the tackle. I would keep Phil in the team, partially due to the lack of left sided players that appear to be around at the moment.

Gary Neville

A solid right back who has enjoyed a long run in the England squad. He has also become a regular for Manchester United over recent years, and I feel that this player is a good one, both going forward to support the attack and defensively. I feel that this player should be left in the England squad if not the first team, as he is certainly a very useful one. Lets hope he can start to produce the goods more on the world stage and be a bit more consistent though. He certainly has the potential to make it to the top.

Tony Adams

This player is pretty much past his best in my view. He is getting on a bit now and has pretty much lost that cutting edge needed to make it big at the top. He has been a great servant to England in the past but enough is enough. I think that Tony is past it, despite claims made that he still has a bit left in him. The main reason I feel this is that with age comes a lack of pace, which the top strikers all over the world will be able to exploit. I feel it is time for Tony to go. Thanks for the great job you have done in the past Adams, but it is time...

Sol Campbell

Captain of Spurs and previously England on occassions, this man is to be a key figurehead in determining the success of the England team in the next few years. He is a great, strong physical player with a lot of heart and who leads by example. He posesses a tough tackle and also has the consistancy and composure to make it on the world stage. Big Sol is going to be one of Englands most important players over the next few years I think, providing he has no run of injuries or loss of form. This player not only would go in my squad, but also in my first team. A quality player.

Martin Keown

Like his club mate Tony Adams, this less than attractive player to say the least is a bit past it now in my view. He has proved strong and mighty in the past, yes, but he must now move aside to allow others to have a chance. I would still keep him in the squad as his experience could prove vital to mix with the youth in the squad. Still has a few years left in him though, but beginning to fade now. Still a useful player though.

Graeme Le Saux

Yes, we haven't seen this player for quite a while have we. This is partly because of the long run of injury he is having at the moment and the choice of the England managers. I feel that this player is quite a good one as he is very versatile, able to play either in defence or midfield, and also possess one of those rare English qualities of being able to play on the left hand side. I would reinstate this player into my squad if I had the choice, as he could prove to be a very useful player and he is not exactly the worst of players is he?

Gareth Barry

This young man that has come through the ranks of Aston Villa has a bright and glorious England career ahead of him. He has certainly impressed me with his ability to handle pressure in the couple of chances he has been given in the England shirt, and now that he has broken into being a regular in the Villa team he is developing more and more as a player. Gareth certainly has a lot to learn but he is learning fast and has shown that he is capable of competing with the top players in the Premiership. This player would certainly be in my squad.

Rio Ferdinand

A huge spotlight has been cast upon this man after setting a record breaking transfer cost on the way from the Hammers to Elland Road. I think that paying £18m for an unproved player is going over the top, but he is certainly going to have a bright career ahead of him and is showing a lot of potential. Still taking time to settle after his move, but I would consider this player to be in my squad.

Stuart Pearce

After a good long run in the West Ham team, some people are calling for Pscycho to be called up once more to the England set-up. This player is certainly a plucky one with a huge heart but I feel that at the rather untender age of 39, his time as an International player is over. Sorry Stuart, but I'm afraid I would have to leave you where you are. A good servant to England, but his last cap has been won.

Steve McManaman

Steve was the forgotten man of the England setup, but has recently been caled up to the squad after some good performances for the Spanish club Real Madrid. I would keep Steve in my squad as he has put in some decent performances for his country in the last few games in which he has played. He is struggling to get in the Real team at the moment and may have to move in order to find first team football. Still would keep him in my England squad, but may slip out if he does not start to get regular first team football.

Nick Barmby

He has also just got back into the England team after a long long time in the desolate wilderness of club football. He had proven himself to be a very useful player in the couple of matches he has played for England and looks as if he is redicovering the kind of form that may just keep him there. I would personally leave him in the squad as he looks a useful player and one that England could use to strengthen the squad.

Joe Cole

Some people have dubbed this man 'the next Michael Owen.' He has certainly sent shock waves all over the country with his maturity and fine performances for his club and I feel that this player could be breaking into the England team very soon. I would not risk putting this player in the first team squad until he gains a bit more experience, but in a couple of years he is a sure England must be!

Paul Scholes

This fiery midfield player is another one of those who is going to be vital in the plans of England in the next few years. He is a prolific finisher and a great passer of the ball. Paul is also quite young and I feel that he has not yet forefilled his full potential. When he does, I eel he has the ability to set the world alight, providing he keeps his temper under wraps. A definate for my squad!

David Beckham

Well, what I can say about this man? He has got it made hasn't he! Say what you like about him, call him arrogant if you want. But when you have taken away the cloud of the image that surrounds him, you are left with a player of just pure brilliance. He can shoot, pass, cross, take free-kicks, tackle, run with pace, dribble-Basically, do everything that you would expect of a world class player. And that is exactly what he is. Anyone who would not see David as a top player in the England side is a fool, he has blatant ability. Straight into my squad, underlined heaily with black marker!

Dennis Wise

A plucky little Chelsea player who is struggling to get in the Chelsea first team at the moment. He is a good little addition to the International team and I feel that he can continue to be one if he can get back into the Chelsea first team. I would state him in my England squad if I had the privilage of being able to choose one but only on the condition that he manages to get regular first team football. A useful memebr of the squad with the commitment that is needed.

Michael Owen

Michael is seen as one of the hottest prospects of the entire England team. He has the pace and finish that is required in a top player as he has shown on previous occassions. Michael is going to be a real star in the next decade if he manages to stay clear of the injury that has troubled him over the last couple of seasons. Watch out world, here comes Michael Owen! A must be in anyones team surely, including mine.

Kevin Phillips

Kevin has not really been given a chance for England, which is a shame as I feel that he has a lot to offer. He finished leading goal scorer with thirty goals in the Premier League last season and this is quite a big feet considering he is not exactly playing for the best team in the League in Sunderland. I feel that this player should be given a better chance to prove himself then he has had to date and I would be the man to give him that chance! If only I was manager!!..

Andy Cole

Andy has had quite a few chances to prove himself in the England team and has failed to do so on most occassions. I would still probably include him in my squad due to his prolific form for Manchester United. Andy has proved over and over for his club that he can perform the goods at the top levels. He now needs to convert this form onto the International stage in order to become one of the best players.

Emile Heskey

'Bruno' is just starting to hit form at the moment. This powerhouse centre forward is certainly a hot prospect and he is now starting to produce the goods for his club. Heskey can be a quality player if he manages to become a bit more selfish with the ball and take people on, as he certainly has the ability to do so. Emile would certainly be in my squad and maybe would soon be breaking into the first team with an extended run of good form.

Teddy Sheringham

Some calls have been made for Teddy to be reinstated in the England squad as a result of some good form which has left him top goal scorer in the league at this present moment. I do not know what to do about this player and is the only one that I am going to have to find myself sitting on the fence about. It would certainly take some though (Age vs Form etc.) Certainly a candidate.

OK, there is my view on the players of the England team. Of course, you will be left wondering 'Why has he got him in' or 'Why has he been left out' but everybody has there own views on the England team. Still, that is what everybody an individual I suppose. As for Sven Goran Eriksson, lets all get behind him an give him a chance. Personally, I don't care if he comes from Timbuktoo, as long as he can produce the goods and make England the force they once were. So lets get behind him and the boys! Hope you found my opinion a good read!
Sun 17/06/01 at 22:08
Wes Brown should also get more of a look in to teh England squad, as his previous appearances have proved his obvious abundance of talent, and playing on the interntional stage would get him more used to the larger atmosphere. I fear however that the large and varied Man U team will oust Brown, as there are already enough people that cover his position. I also fear that others such as Luke Chadwick and Paul Rachubka face the same future
Sun 17/06/01 at 16:38
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Also Dennis Wise is not struggling to get into the Chelsea side but as Raneri is using a rotation system players sometimes have to sit on the bench!

Dennis Wise is the club captain and does not miss many games for Chelsea unless he is injured.
Sun 17/06/01 at 16:31
Regular
"Great Scott's"
Are u sure that is longer enough?
Thu 14/06/01 at 15:38
Regular
Below is a run down of all the players, together with my view in whether he should be in the squad or not:

David Seaman

Getting on a bit now. His manager Arsene Wenger claims that he can still produce the goods at the highest level. I am not too convinced due to the dreadful mistakes that he has made in some recent matches. I would keep him in the squad as he has certainly proved a useful player in the past. A bit more reliability and seeing him regain his old form will see him straight back in goal for my team, no problem! But he is not getting any younger and his International career may well be coming to an end. Lets just hope that his last few years are golden for England.

Nigel Martyn

A keeper that has failed to be given a real chance at the top level. This is a shame, as I feel that this Leeds keeper has a lot to offer, and apart from the odd game for Enland, his talent has not really been used to the full. I believe he is out injured at the moment but I hope to see him fit and well again soon. I would have this man in my squad as he has proved very reliable for Leeds many a time.

Richard Wright

Was given a chance in the friendly against Malta which he did not really take to be honest. This keeper is quite young and certainly does have a lot of potential. I would keep him in my squad for backup, and I feel that this man can appear regularly in goal for England in a few years time.

Ian Walker

Ian is quite a good keper, however I do not feel that he is quite world class quality as he is a bit too unreliable for me. Ian's main problem at the moment is trying to get back into the Spurs team. Ian has only been given one chance for England, where he was harshly blamed for costing England victory in the World Cup qualifier against Italy. Maybe if he manages to get in the Tottenham team and keep his top form regular, me may see Ian back in the England squad. But for now, I would leave him out.

David James

The Aston Villa keeper has been nicknamed 'Calamity James' after making some howling mistakes in goal for his club. He certainly has all the attributes of a potential top keeper, but until he starts to become a bit more reliable and consitent, he will not be making waves on the big stage. I would leave him out for now.

Paul Robinson

Yes, I know. Many jaws would have dropped open after seeing this name associated with the England team and many of you may even be asking who he is. Paul has played some truly excellent games for Leeds in goals recently, including a brilliant match against AC Milan, where he managed to pull off some brilliant saves to assist Leeds to a win. Not a first squad player yet, but keep your eye on him. I can see this player becoming big if he carrys on the way he is going and forefills his potential. And remember, you heard it here first!!

Phil Neville

This left back has been scape-goated perhaps a little harshly for Englands exit of Euro 2000 for giving away a last minute penalty against Romania. It was certainly a rather stupid thing to do, but I do not feel that you blame one player for the failure of a whole team. Phil has been known to put in some blinding performances and also has proved solid in the tackle. I would keep Phil in the team, partially due to the lack of left sided players that appear to be around at the moment.

Gary Neville

A solid right back who has enjoyed a long run in the England squad. He has also become a regular for Manchester United over recent years, and I feel that this player is a good one, both going forward to support the attack and defensively. I feel that this player should be left in the England squad if not the first team, as he is certainly a very useful one. Lets hope he can start to produce the goods more on the world stage and be a bit more consistent though. He certainly has the potential to make it to the top.

Tony Adams

This player is pretty much past his best in my view. He is getting on a bit now and has pretty much lost that cutting edge needed to make it big at the top. He has been a great servant to England in the past but enough is enough. I think that Tony is past it, despite claims made that he still has a bit left in him. The main reason I feel this is that with age comes a lack of pace, which the top strikers all over the world will be able to exploit. I feel it is time for Tony to go. Thanks for the great job you have done in the past Adams, but it is time...

Sol Campbell

Captain of Spurs and previously England on occassions, this man is to be a key figurehead in determining the success of the England team in the next few years. He is a great, strong physical player with a lot of heart and who leads by example. He posesses a tough tackle and also has the consistancy and composure to make it on the world stage. Big Sol is going to be one of Englands most important players over the next few years I think, providing he has no run of injuries or loss of form. This player not only would go in my squad, but also in my first team. A quality player.

Martin Keown

Like his club mate Tony Adams, this less than attractive player to say the least is a bit past it now in my view. He has proved strong and mighty in the past, yes, but he must now move aside to allow others to have a chance. I would still keep him in the squad as his experience could prove vital to mix with the youth in the squad. Still has a few years left in him though, but beginning to fade now. Still a useful player though.

Graeme Le Saux

Yes, we haven't seen this player for quite a while have we. This is partly because of the long run of injury he is having at the moment and the choice of the England managers. I feel that this player is quite a good one as he is very versatile, able to play either in defence or midfield, and also possess one of those rare English qualities of being able to play on the left hand side. I would reinstate this player into my squad if I had the choice, as he could prove to be a very useful player and he is not exactly the worst of players is he?

Gareth Barry

This young man that has come through the ranks of Aston Villa has a bright and glorious England career ahead of him. He has certainly impressed me with his ability to handle pressure in the couple of chances he has been given in the England shirt, and now that he has broken into being a regular in the Villa team he is developing more and more as a player. Gareth certainly has a lot to learn but he is learning fast and has shown that he is capable of competing with the top players in the Premiership. This player would certainly be in my squad.

Rio Ferdinand

A huge spotlight has been cast upon this man after setting a record breaking transfer cost on the way from the Hammers to Elland Road. I think that paying £18m for an unproved player is going over the top, but he is certainly going to have a bright career ahead of him and is showing a lot of potential. Still taking time to settle after his move, but I would consider this player to be in my squad.

Stuart Pearce

After a good long run in the West Ham team, some people are calling for Pscycho to be called up once more to the England set-up. This player is certainly a plucky one with a huge heart but I feel that at the rather untender age of 39, his time as an International player is over. Sorry Stuart, but I'm afraid I would have to leave you where you are. A good servant to England, but his last cap has been won.

Steve McManaman

Steve was the forgotten man of the England setup, but has recently been caled up to the squad after some good performances for the Spanish club Real Madrid. I would keep Steve in my squad as he has put in some decent performances for his country in the last few games in which he has played. He is struggling to get in the Real team at the moment and may have to move in order to find first team football. Still would keep him in my England squad, but may slip out if he does not start to get regular first team football.

Nick Barmby

He has also just got back into the England team after a long long time in the desolate wilderness of club football. He had proven himself to be a very useful player in the couple of matches he has played for England and looks as if he is redicovering the kind of form that may just keep him there. I would personally leave him in the squad as he looks a useful player and one that England could use to strengthen the squad.

Joe Cole

Some people have dubbed this man 'the next Michael Owen.' He has certainly sent shock waves all over the country with his maturity and fine performances for his club and I feel that this player could be breaking into the England team very soon. I would not risk putting this player in the first team squad until he gains a bit more experience, but in a couple of years he is a sure England must be!

Paul Scholes

This fiery midfield player is another one of those who is going to be vital in the plans of England in the next few years. He is a prolific finisher and a great passer of the ball. Paul is also quite young and I feel that he has not yet forefilled his full potential. When he does, I eel he has the ability to set the world alight, providing he keeps his temper under wraps. A definate for my squad!

David Beckham

Well, what I can say about this man? He has got it made hasn't he! Say what you like about him, call him arrogant if you want. But when you have taken away the cloud of the image that surrounds him, you are left with a player of just pure brilliance. He can shoot, pass, cross, take free-kicks, tackle, run with pace, dribble-Basically, do everything that you would expect of a world class player. And that is exactly what he is. Anyone who would not see David as a top player in the England side is a fool, he has blatant ability. Straight into my squad, underlined heaily with black marker!

Dennis Wise

A plucky little Chelsea player who is struggling to get in the Chelsea first team at the moment. He is a good little addition to the International team and I feel that he can continue to be one if he can get back into the Chelsea first team. I would state him in my England squad if I had the privilage of being able to choose one but only on the condition that he manages to get regular first team football. A useful memebr of the squad with the commitment that is needed.

Michael Owen

Michael is seen as one of the hottest prospects of the entire England team. He has the pace and finish that is required in a top player as he has shown on previous occassions. Michael is going to be a real star in the next decade if he manages to stay clear of the injury that has troubled him over the last couple of seasons. Watch out world, here comes Michael Owen! A must be in anyones team surely, including mine.

Kevin Phillips

Kevin has not really been given a chance for England, which is a shame as I feel that he has a lot to offer. He finished leading goal scorer with thirty goals in the Premier League last season and this is quite a big feet considering he is not exactly playing for the best team in the League in Sunderland. I feel that this player should be given a better chance to prove himself then he has had to date and I would be the man to give him that chance! If only I was manager!!..

Andy Cole

Andy has had quite a few chances to prove himself in the England team and has failed to do so on most occassions. I would still probably include him in my squad due to his prolific form for Manchester United. Andy has proved over and over for his club that he can perform the goods at the top levels. He now needs to convert this form onto the International stage in order to become one of the best players.

Emile Heskey

'Bruno' is just starting to hit form at the moment. This powerhouse centre forward is certainly a hot prospect and he is now starting to produce the goods for his club. Heskey can be a quality player if he manages to become a bit more selfish with the ball and take people on, as he certainly has the ability to do so. Emile would certainly be in my squad and maybe would soon be breaking into the first team with an extended run of good form.

Teddy Sheringham

Some calls have been made for Teddy to be reinstated in the England squad as a result of some good form which has left him top goal scorer in the league at this present moment. I do not know what to do about this player and is the only one that I am going to have to find myself sitting on the fence about. It would certainly take some though (Age vs Form etc.) Certainly a candidate.

OK, there is my view on the players of the England team. Of course, you will be left wondering 'Why has he got him in' or 'Why has he been left out' but everybody has there own views on the England team. Still, that is what everybody an individual I suppose. As for Sven Goran Eriksson, lets all get behind him an give him a chance. Personally, I don't care if he comes from Timbuktoo, as long as he can produce the goods and make England the force they once were. So lets get behind him and the boys! Hope you found my opinion a good read!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.