GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess'.
Fri 15/12/06 at 01:49
Regular
"Captain to you."
Possibly the one game that I have been looking forward to all year, there is something about Zelda games that just gets me excited.

This latest adventure again puts you playing the part of Link in the kingdom of Hyrule, during the game you come across some familiar races of characters, including the Zora (fish people) and the Gorons (rock people), you visit each of their respective domains and have to complete a temple in each as well as several other large dungeons.

Only this time you have to save all the realms from the Dark influences of The Twilight, which I can’t really go in to too much detail about without ruining the story, think big dark creatures and you’ll be on the right track.

Graphically this isn’t quite all the Wii is capable of as it is really just a Gamecube game on a Wii disk with some added control tweaking, this gives me great hope for the Wii as if this isn’t as good as it gets graphically I can’t wait to see what is.

There is an almost artistic feel to the world of Twilight that looks fantastic the first time you come across it with strong lighting and blur and even later in the game there are some great scenes that the game takes you through at just the right pace to appreciate the beauty of your surroundings.

There are some epic areas to travel through and if you had to walk everywhere this game could take a very very long time, luckily they included your faithful horse Epona to ride across the vast fields, leaping over gaps and fences.

The sound in the game is where the Wii has both a great addition and also sometimes an annoyance, the Wiimote having a speaker in it can be pretty nice at times to hear the tightening of the string of your bow as you get ready to pluck an enemy unsuspectingly off the ceiling, but there are other times that something comes through too loud making you want to go in to the menu to play with the volume settings.

On inserting the disk and clicking on the game in the Wii menu the classic Zelda music starts up, which i think only adds to the excitement the first time you go to play as memories of many hours of past games comes flooding back to you.

The controlling of the game is really what it comes down to and I think they got it spot on for the most part, it’s not often that I can get straight in to a console game and not have to look down to see what buttons I am pressing and if I was to describe the controls you might think “hang on that sounds complicated”, but it really isn’t once you have the controllers in your hands.

Two of the most enjoyable aspects of the game that the Wiimote and Nunchuk excel at are the fighting and the fishing

When fighting the game uses the same lock-on system as Zelda: Ocarina of time with a simple single button press, to swing your sword you swipe with your Wiimote in the direction you want Link to attack, this feels pretty good and you can either do large over the top motions like you might see in adverts or you can do simple flicks of your wrist, the Nunchuck in a fight is your shield giving you the ability to bash your foes and to block their attacks, it is also used for the command to do a 360 sword swipe with a simple side to side motion. There really is something about having to move your hands while playing that gives the fighting a great feel.

For the fishing, you don’t really get a choice with big or small motions I found you really need to go with proper movements to get the most out of the fishing. Your Wiimote is your fishing rod and your Nunchuck is your reel, you cast out by bringing the Wiimote up and back and then moving it quickly forward and down, you can move your lure in the water by moving your Wiimote and you reel in your line simply rotate your Nunchuck like you would a real reel.

I have spent many hours in game just sitting in a boat in the middle of a lake fishing and I am pretty sure anyone else with this game will have too.

Feeling the Wiimote rumble as a fish nibbles at your line getting stronger till you know you’ve hooked it, pulling the Wiimote back and frantically reeling in with the Nunchuck trying to land the fish is entertaining from both a playing point of view and a watching one as you see someone wrestling with their controller while spinning one hand around you can’t help but think I want a turn.

The story so far has kept me interested and there are some very cheesy in game cut scenes that could easily fit in to an afternoon cartoon trying to teach children something.

This is in my opinion a must purchase for anyone with a Wii it is pretty long and will surely keep you entertained over the Christmas period, and with rumours that Zelda games are going to change, I think this is going to be remembered as one of the best ones ever made.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 15/12/06 at 01:49
Regular
"Captain to you."
Possibly the one game that I have been looking forward to all year, there is something about Zelda games that just gets me excited.

This latest adventure again puts you playing the part of Link in the kingdom of Hyrule, during the game you come across some familiar races of characters, including the Zora (fish people) and the Gorons (rock people), you visit each of their respective domains and have to complete a temple in each as well as several other large dungeons.

Only this time you have to save all the realms from the Dark influences of The Twilight, which I can’t really go in to too much detail about without ruining the story, think big dark creatures and you’ll be on the right track.

Graphically this isn’t quite all the Wii is capable of as it is really just a Gamecube game on a Wii disk with some added control tweaking, this gives me great hope for the Wii as if this isn’t as good as it gets graphically I can’t wait to see what is.

There is an almost artistic feel to the world of Twilight that looks fantastic the first time you come across it with strong lighting and blur and even later in the game there are some great scenes that the game takes you through at just the right pace to appreciate the beauty of your surroundings.

There are some epic areas to travel through and if you had to walk everywhere this game could take a very very long time, luckily they included your faithful horse Epona to ride across the vast fields, leaping over gaps and fences.

The sound in the game is where the Wii has both a great addition and also sometimes an annoyance, the Wiimote having a speaker in it can be pretty nice at times to hear the tightening of the string of your bow as you get ready to pluck an enemy unsuspectingly off the ceiling, but there are other times that something comes through too loud making you want to go in to the menu to play with the volume settings.

On inserting the disk and clicking on the game in the Wii menu the classic Zelda music starts up, which i think only adds to the excitement the first time you go to play as memories of many hours of past games comes flooding back to you.

The controlling of the game is really what it comes down to and I think they got it spot on for the most part, it’s not often that I can get straight in to a console game and not have to look down to see what buttons I am pressing and if I was to describe the controls you might think “hang on that sounds complicated”, but it really isn’t once you have the controllers in your hands.

Two of the most enjoyable aspects of the game that the Wiimote and Nunchuk excel at are the fighting and the fishing

When fighting the game uses the same lock-on system as Zelda: Ocarina of time with a simple single button press, to swing your sword you swipe with your Wiimote in the direction you want Link to attack, this feels pretty good and you can either do large over the top motions like you might see in adverts or you can do simple flicks of your wrist, the Nunchuck in a fight is your shield giving you the ability to bash your foes and to block their attacks, it is also used for the command to do a 360 sword swipe with a simple side to side motion. There really is something about having to move your hands while playing that gives the fighting a great feel.

For the fishing, you don’t really get a choice with big or small motions I found you really need to go with proper movements to get the most out of the fishing. Your Wiimote is your fishing rod and your Nunchuck is your reel, you cast out by bringing the Wiimote up and back and then moving it quickly forward and down, you can move your lure in the water by moving your Wiimote and you reel in your line simply rotate your Nunchuck like you would a real reel.

I have spent many hours in game just sitting in a boat in the middle of a lake fishing and I am pretty sure anyone else with this game will have too.

Feeling the Wiimote rumble as a fish nibbles at your line getting stronger till you know you’ve hooked it, pulling the Wiimote back and frantically reeling in with the Nunchuck trying to land the fish is entertaining from both a playing point of view and a watching one as you see someone wrestling with their controller while spinning one hand around you can’t help but think I want a turn.

The story so far has kept me interested and there are some very cheesy in game cut scenes that could easily fit in to an afternoon cartoon trying to teach children something.

This is in my opinion a must purchase for anyone with a Wii it is pretty long and will surely keep you entertained over the Christmas period, and with rumours that Zelda games are going to change, I think this is going to be remembered as one of the best ones ever made.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.