GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RPGs on Nintendo consoles"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/01 at 12:32
Regular
Where have all of the RPG's gone? That has to be the question that every N64 owner has been thinking for the past 5 years!

Back in the days of the SNES we were treated to some classics. Secter Of Mana, Legend of Zelda, Illusion of Time. There was also countless others that didn't all get a UK release, but were all superb such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 - 6, and Breath of Fire. The SNES was an RPG fans dream platform.

Similar things were hoped for when the N64 was released, but they just didn't come. Square decided that a cartridge based format could not suit their needs, and developed for the Playstation. Enix too jumped ship. The only RPG available for the N64 for a rather long time was the very disappointing, and way too linear Holy Magic Century.

Things did improve when Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released. The game was an absolute masterpiece, but once it had been completed the bleak reality was once again there to stare N64 owners in the face, Developers don't want to make RPG's for Nintendo anymore.

A sequel to Ocarina of Time was well recieved, another classic, adding the time factor. But that's it. 3 games that could be considered RPGs. Things may improve slightly, with Paper Mario with Paper Mario going down well in the USA it might get a UK release (even though it's SNES prequel didn't), Aidyn Chronicles is also on the way, but is apparently rather disappointing. It's not even a case of the games not being released here, it's that they're not being developed! The USA has Ogre Battle 64, but that's it. No hidden classics. No undiscovered gems. Simply no RPG's.

You may think that the GAMECUBE won't be the console to have for RPG's then, but fortunately it does appear as if the tide is turning. Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet is said to be very like Zelda in style, and sounds rather impressive. Also due for soon after launch is Segas Phantasy Star Online v2.

Retro Studios are working on Raven Blade, scheduled for a late 2002 release, this looks absolutley stunning, with a more traditional look to it. Too Human, from Silicon Knights is said to be developing into something of a dark RPG. Then there's Zelda itself. Apparently this game is further along the development trail that Nintendo will have us think, and something will be on display at SpaceWorld.

So it appears that the tide is again turning. If these initial titles sell well then whats to say that the likes of Enix and Square wont again be willing to develop for GAMECUBE. Capcom too have decided that multiplatform will be the best route for the next installment in their Breath of Fire series. Nintendo owning RPG fans have a lot to look forward to!
Tue 19/06/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Long Live Nintendo!"
Hear, Hear (Though i prefer Perfet Dark to Goldeneye). The sooner the next Zelda game, the better!!
Wed 13/06/01 at 20:37
The Ocarina Of Time is my favourite game ever made. (closley followed by Goldeneye).
Wed 13/06/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Long Live Nintendo!"
Though Ninty RPG's are low, the ones they do release rock. Look at the Legend of Zelda games. Each one has been a massive hit (especially the N64 version) and the Legend of Zelda series is one of THE MOST FAMOUS GAME SERIES IN THE WORLD. AND the Pokemon RPG's created an entirely new concet in RPG's. The games became addictive on an entirely new level: they tapped into our human instincts to raise and nurture. You cannt deny it can be emotional putting your favourite 'mon into battle, having raised it from level 2 or 3, taking it through its evolutions. Shigsy has a magic touch when it comes to RPG's and it is THAT that keeps us waiting for his next one. As soon as the next comes out, millions will buy it. That is how he makes money, by keeping us waiting for the next game. If only the wait wasn't so long...
Wed 13/06/01 at 13:06
Regular
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
> RPGs on Nintendo consoles have always been
> a bit weak, compared to
> the Final Fantasy series
> anyway!!

You can tell it's not the 'real' Grix as he wouldn't
> make such a daft remark.

He knows (or he should) that the best FF
> game was part 6, which, like the previous 5 appeared on a Nintendo
> console....

How dare you, I'm the 'real' Grix and Ninty sucks!!
Wed 13/06/01 at 13:01
I am also an RPG fan and overall I must say that I have enjoyed the RPG element in the N64 as its seems to me that platformer games and RPG's are becoming increasingly simular.

For example the new edge Mario 64 introduced to platforming was not just the 3D element but now I find Mario on missions to help unsatisfied residents of the mushroom kingdom. Indeed even penguins tell the plumber their problems which when you solve, you gain a reward which lets you continue your 'quest'. This is one of the best RPG elements the helping characters and recieving surprise rewards which now seems to be a 3D platform element too.

Exploration now seems top be a stolen factor from RPG's. No longer do you scroll from left to right and make sure you survive in platform games but exploration is expected to gain jig-saw's, Stars and what have you. This again is one of the best factors in a RPG the freedom to take on tasks in which ever order deems logical to yourself.

Seeing as how Nintendo I feel are the greatest platform and RPG creators (this includes RareWare of course), as an N64 owner I have been spoilt with the combination of each in both pure platform greatness and RPG classics (both Zelda's are great)! Thankyou Nintendo and I look forward to adventuring with you in the future!
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:45
Regular
"not dead"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> RPGs on Nintendo consoles have always been a bit weak, compared to
> the Final Fantasy series anyway!!

You can tell it's not the 'real' Grix as he wouldn't make such a daft remark.

He knows (or he should) that the best FF game was part 6, which, like the previous 5 appeared on a Nintendo console....
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:37
Regular
No, I'm not, see what your notable status has done to my head, I'll buy a Gamecube if Sony take over Nintendo, but that'll be it!!
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:36
Regular
Ignore him... he's the anti Grix. He's going around, speaking lies, and causing destruction...

:D
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:34
Regular
RPGs on Nintendo consoles have always been a bit weak, compared to the Final Fantasy series anyway!!
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:32
Regular
"not dead"
Where have all of the RPG's gone? That has to be the question that every N64 owner has been thinking for the past 5 years!

Back in the days of the SNES we were treated to some classics. Secter Of Mana, Legend of Zelda, Illusion of Time. There was also countless others that didn't all get a UK release, but were all superb such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 - 6, and Breath of Fire. The SNES was an RPG fans dream platform.

Similar things were hoped for when the N64 was released, but they just didn't come. Square decided that a cartridge based format could not suit their needs, and developed for the Playstation. Enix too jumped ship. The only RPG available for the N64 for a rather long time was the very disappointing, and way too linear Holy Magic Century.

Things did improve when Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released. The game was an absolute masterpiece, but once it had been completed the bleak reality was once again there to stare N64 owners in the face, Developers don't want to make RPG's for Nintendo anymore.

A sequel to Ocarina of Time was well recieved, another classic, adding the time factor. But that's it. 3 games that could be considered RPGs. Things may improve slightly, with Paper Mario with Paper Mario going down well in the USA it might get a UK release (even though it's SNES prequel didn't), Aidyn Chronicles is also on the way, but is apparently rather disappointing. It's not even a case of the games not being released here, it's that they're not being developed! The USA has Ogre Battle 64, but that's it. No hidden classics. No undiscovered gems. Simply no RPG's.

You may think that the GAMECUBE won't be the console to have for RPG's then, but fortunately it does appear as if the tide is turning. Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet is said to be very like Zelda in style, and sounds rather impressive. Also due for soon after launch is Segas Phantasy Star Online v2.

Retro Studios are working on Raven Blade, scheduled for a late 2002 release, this looks absolutley stunning, with a more traditional look to it. Too Human, from Silicon Knights is said to be developing into something of a dark RPG. Then there's Zelda itself. Apparently this game is further along the development trail that Nintendo will have us think, and something will be on display at SpaceWorld.

So it appears that the tide is again turning. If these initial titles sell well then whats to say that the likes of Enix and Square wont again be willing to develop for GAMECUBE. Capcom too have decided that multiplatform will be the best route for the next installment in their Breath of Fire series. Nintendo owning RPG fans have a lot to look forward to!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.