GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...Mobile Wifi then"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/11/09 at 10:16
"possibly impossible"
Saw this in action the other day.

Looks like a great idea and 3 are now selling it for £49.99 on a pay-as-you go or free with a £15 a month data plan.

Just thinking about this and an iPod Touch 32GB (£250 altogether) as opposed to an iPhone on pay-as-you-go for nearly £400.

What does everyone think?
Wed 04/11/09 at 10:16
"possibly impossible"
Saw this in action the other day.

Looks like a great idea and 3 are now selling it for £49.99 on a pay-as-you go or free with a £15 a month data plan.

Just thinking about this and an iPod Touch 32GB (£250 altogether) as opposed to an iPhone on pay-as-you-go for nearly £400.

What does everyone think?
Wed 04/11/09 at 15:02
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
If it does what it say it can, I might actually be interested.
Wed 04/11/09 at 15:05
"possibly impossible"
They're using them in the 3 store, I went down there at lunch time and though they're limited to 3G+ speeds (3.5Mbps) they're instantly recognisable by the PSP, so shouldn't see any problems with iPod Touch either.

Which makes me think about getting a Touch cheap instead of waiting years for an iPhone...
Wed 04/11/09 at 15:49
Regular
It's more than likely there will be a new iPhone next summer so I'm saving for that. Until then I'm still using my iPod Touch daily, last night I was watching Life.

I think I'm half way through getting my moneys worth out of it already and I've only had it three weeks.

There's an Apple store in Exeter right? That's the first one I stepped into.
Wed 04/11/09 at 17:05
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
My Phone does this already. It can act as a wifi router and allow other wifi devices to connect to in and use the 3G connection. It's nothing new. Shame 3's network is non existent where I live (as is any other 3G coverage).
Wed 04/11/09 at 18:56
"Are you sure?"
Eccles wrote:
> My Phone does this already...

That sounds useful and would save carrying/charging another 'gadget'.

You didn't say which phone you have!?!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 04/11/09 at 19:36
Regular
Took me a while to get round what this thing actually does. It's essentially an internet dongle that 3 have been selling for years, but instead of connecting it through USB it's a standalone wireless router, which in turn then connects wirelessly to other wifi enabled devices. Is that all right?

I see this having limited uses, if you are really needy of an internet connection then it's likely you will have bought a device that already has the 3G connection built in. And where are you going to put the modem when you're playing on the iphone? Can't just shove it in your pocket, that would give you a bad signal (I have two of these USB dongles, and they need to be exposed), besides the radiation can't be good for you.
Thu 05/11/09 at 11:06
"Are you sure?"
It's not a device I've seen before and I could see where it could have it's uses.

But if Eccles has a phone that can act as a wifi router then that would be even better as it's one less thing to carry/charge.

One simple use would be if a few people, say a family were on holiday and all wanted to connect to the internet with their wireless devices. You could put the gizmo on the table and everyone could connect to it. Assuming there aren't any restrictions.

pb - It might also be worth looking at the pricing/availability of wireless providers through 'hotspots'. I believe you used to use B* Openzone in the past. This might be a cheaper option but not so flexible?

NB. You should ask a mod to move this to the techie forum!!! ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 05/11/09 at 11:16
"possibly impossible"
Eccles wrote:
> My Phone does this already. It can act as a wifi router and allow
> other wifi devices to connect to in and use the 3G connection.
> It's nothing new. Shame 3's network is non existent where I live
> (as is any other 3G coverage).

I'd really like to know what phone this is and if it costs much more than the £50 on pay as you go that this costs?

No way I'm signing up for a contract!

Basically I could use this with the PSP and the iPod and possibly laptop (though probably less likely).
Thu 05/11/09 at 12:47
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
My phone is a HTC Touch Pro 2 (WinMo 6.5). HTC have written a piece of software that's freely available call Wifi Router, which works on most of their recent Windows Mobile phones (6.1 and 6.5). I know it works on the Touch HD, Touch Pro, Diamond and Diamond2. Not sure you'll be able to get one of these cheap on PAYG yet though.

If you have a phone with Windows Mobile 6.5 it has built in support for Microsoft Internet sharing where you can connect you PC up to it using USB or Bluetooth to use the 3G, but most phones allow you to do this now, it just the Mobile Internet tariff you are on might not allow it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.