GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So...Mobile Wifi then"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/11/09 at 10:16
"possibly impossible"
Saw this in action the other day.

Looks like a great idea and 3 are now selling it for £49.99 on a pay-as-you go or free with a £15 a month data plan.

Just thinking about this and an iPod Touch 32GB (£250 altogether) as opposed to an iPhone on pay-as-you-go for nearly £400.

What does everyone think?
Fri 06/11/09 at 08:21
"possibly impossible"
Interesting, thanks for the link.

Would still work ok for surfing etc and possibly for the PSP/DS.

Would be interesting to see if the O2 device has the same effect though.
Thu 05/11/09 at 16:21
"Are you sure?"
I'm not sure if jokiuspot is recommended or not at the moment.
You need to have a good read-up.

This post http://www.ifelix.net/blog/?p=410 if correct makes it look as if iPlayer would be a non-starter.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 05/11/09 at 15:43
"possibly impossible"
Looking at it, I could get a Nokia 5800 and use the 3G on that with the Jokiuspot software to create a Wi-Fi access point.

Whether the 5800 is a decent phone or not is another question...
Thu 05/11/09 at 14:41
"possibly impossible"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Googleing
> turn
> your mobile into wifi hotspot
returns lots of interesting
> stuff. Still sifting through it...
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]

Good idea Hmmmm.

This interests me as my work mobile is an E Series Nokia on the S60 platform.

Now I'm looking for a new (cheap) phone to browse internet outside of work too and if I can match this to one of these ideas I could save money.
Thu 05/11/09 at 14:11
"Are you sure?"
Googleing turn your mobile into wifi hotspot returns lots of interesting stuff. Still sifting through it...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 05/11/09 at 13:28
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah but HTC have gone to the effort of hiding Microsofts lame interface with their shiny Touch Flow (or Sense as they are now calling it) interface. It gets rid of a lot of the fiddlyness (yes it's now a word!).
Thu 05/11/09 at 13:05
"possibly impossible"
That's the issue and I think partly where this gadget comes in.

Not sure if I want another Windows Mobile phone though after my previous experiences,
Thu 05/11/09 at 12:47
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
My phone is a HTC Touch Pro 2 (WinMo 6.5). HTC have written a piece of software that's freely available call Wifi Router, which works on most of their recent Windows Mobile phones (6.1 and 6.5). I know it works on the Touch HD, Touch Pro, Diamond and Diamond2. Not sure you'll be able to get one of these cheap on PAYG yet though.

If you have a phone with Windows Mobile 6.5 it has built in support for Microsoft Internet sharing where you can connect you PC up to it using USB or Bluetooth to use the 3G, but most phones allow you to do this now, it just the Mobile Internet tariff you are on might not allow it.
Thu 05/11/09 at 11:16
"possibly impossible"
Eccles wrote:
> My Phone does this already. It can act as a wifi router and allow
> other wifi devices to connect to in and use the 3G connection.
> It's nothing new. Shame 3's network is non existent where I live
> (as is any other 3G coverage).

I'd really like to know what phone this is and if it costs much more than the £50 on pay as you go that this costs?

No way I'm signing up for a contract!

Basically I could use this with the PSP and the iPod and possibly laptop (though probably less likely).
Thu 05/11/09 at 11:06
"Are you sure?"
It's not a device I've seen before and I could see where it could have it's uses.

But if Eccles has a phone that can act as a wifi router then that would be even better as it's one less thing to carry/charge.

One simple use would be if a few people, say a family were on holiday and all wanted to connect to the internet with their wireless devices. You could put the gizmo on the table and everyone could connect to it. Assuming there aren't any restrictions.

pb - It might also be worth looking at the pricing/availability of wireless providers through 'hotspots'. I believe you used to use B* Openzone in the past. This might be a cheaper option but not so flexible?

NB. You should ask a mod to move this to the techie forum!!! ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.