GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console war......."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
The Gods looked down. This would be interesting, they didn’t normally take much notice of human affairs, but this time they were.
“There will be war,” Said Wun God.
“Perhaps, but I think it will be slightly different than ones we have seen before.” Came the reply from Too God.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The camera swoops through the clouds to reveal the battlefield below. The four great armies all starting to arrange their forces into divisions: Marketing/Advertising, Rumour, Expectation, Software and finally Hype all started to take their shape. Some commanders were leaning more towards some areas than others. For example, one army has decided to spend its resources on building up the Marketing/Advertising side of things, whereas another may decide to concentrate on the Software instead.

I suppose now would be a good time to introduce the armies themselves. The first to enter the battlefield was Sega, the second was Sony, the third was Nintendo and the last was Microsoft.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“The main thing about this war is simply numbers. Make sure your force is bigger than the others, no fighting will actually take place” Said Too God.
“Why not? What’s the point in that?” asked Tree God.
“This will be a war of busines. Who ever gains the largest share of the market will be deemed the winner.” Replied Too God. “It will be a difficult choice for the consumer, they will have to take into account many things: price, games, graphics, extras. It will all be thrown at them and they need to decide, through all that, what to get.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The first blow was struck when Sega announced the DreamCast, thousands flocked to the Sega banners to take up the fight against all comers. Sega promised amazing graphics, great games and online play. People were amazed. Sony retaliated with the announcement of the PS2. Sony already had a large army of all the PSX owners, and hoped to build on this force with people who were dissatisfied with the N64. Sony pledged superior graphics to the DC, as well as backward compatibility with all existing software for the PSX. All normal wartime propaganda was employed, including sequels of the most popular PSX games, namely GT3 and MGS2. Sony thought they had the war won.

An announcement was to follow from Nintendo and Microsoft. They would be entering the battlefield as well, with the GameCube and the X-Box respectively. Some people joked that Microsoft would have no idea and fail miserably. Others remind them that ‘the same was said of Sony some 7 or 8 years ago and look at the situation now, sunshine’. This couldn’t really be argued with, but some still discounted the X-Box completely.

As the launch for the PS2 was nearing, some predicted the war would be over imminently, they felt Sony would ‘walk away with it and the Sega army would be going home in an ambulance.’ Fighting talk indeed. Unfortunately for Sony a mini disaster struck! They didn’t have enough machines at launch and some machines were faulty, fans were left disgruntled. Sega jumped on the opportunity and that Christmas the price of the DC was slashed to entice extra sales. It worked. The Sega army swelled as people left the Sony camp and joined Sega’s army.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“What shall we do Sir?” Asked an employee at Sony.
The head honcho of the PS2 project was annoyed. Things were not going according to plan, and all because of the damn distribution problems! He thumped his table in anger, making the cup of coffee fall over. He was now going to have to do something he didn’t really want to.
“Ok,” He sighed in resignation, “We have to do it now, I really have no other choice.” He took a deep breath, “Release some more GT3 and MGS2 screenshots. That should get some interest back….”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It did indeed work. People started going back to the Sony colours, it was mission accomplished. Sony still had a sizeable force however, when, one day...

...Sega announced they were stopping the manufacture of the DC hardware. This had a mixed effect on their army, some people left to join the Sony camp, some people left to join the Nintendo and Microsoft camp even though neither of them had machines on the battlefield at that time. Because of the stop in hardware manufacture, the price was dropped by an amazing amount. This did cause the army to grow slightly as a greater number of people were buying than selling.

- - - - - - - - - - -

“How long is this likely to go on for?” Asked Wun God.
“’Til there is a clear winner.”
“But that could take ages, these people are so fickle, they could go backwards and forwards forever!”

- - - - - - - - - -

The war was continuing, both sides losing and gaining numbers of people as the encounter continued. Sony seemed to have the larger army.. The Sega forces were undoubtedly outnumbered within a few months of the Sony machine entering the field of war. However, Sega managed to keep hold of the majority of its forces, even after they stopped production by promising a continued supply of quality software.

E3 came along and the Nintendo army grew to its biggest yet. The company had some impressive titles on show, and coupled with the launch of the GBA in Japan, Rumour and Anticipation were doing their jobs admirably, interest was at an all time high. A lot of new fighters were thought to be coming from the Sega camp as it was suggested that Sega would team up with Nintendo and supply a large amount of third party support. Some Sega fans went over to the Microsoft colours enticed by the promise of the best graphics yet seen on a console. Funnily enough, only a small percentage of Sega’s forces went to the Sony army...

“Ok, so one of them is out of it now. Does that mean it’s nearly over?” Asked the ever-impatient Wun God.
“Maybe, maybe not. There is still a long way to go, we shall have to wait and see.” Replied Tree God.

Finally Nintendo and Microsoft release their hardware to mass expectation. The armies of all sides change around, grew and reduce, the Sega army nearly disappears altogether. The war is excellent for the consumer, the prices are kept low and the software is very impressive.

Finally, a winner emerges through the dust cloud created by the movement of so many people. As ever, the Gods are looking down….

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“So that’s the winner” Excellent, I shall go to the shops and one of those right now” Wun God runs out to go and make his purchase. Tree God also leaves to make a purchase. After a while they both return.

“What have you got one of those for?” Asks Wun God, “It didn’t win, it can’t be any good.”

“Just because some people like it, doesn’t make it the right choice for me. I bought this because I wanted to, not because I wanted to fit in with everyone else.”

6 Months later….

“I’m bored” Complains Wun God.

“Why don’t you play on your console? I’m playing on mine……..”
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
The Gods looked down. This would be interesting, they didn’t normally take much notice of human affairs, but this time they were.
“There will be war,” Said Wun God.
“Perhaps, but I think it will be slightly different than ones we have seen before.” Came the reply from Too God.

- - - - - - - - - - -

The camera swoops through the clouds to reveal the battlefield below. The four great armies all starting to arrange their forces into divisions: Marketing/Advertising, Rumour, Expectation, Software and finally Hype all started to take their shape. Some commanders were leaning more towards some areas than others. For example, one army has decided to spend its resources on building up the Marketing/Advertising side of things, whereas another may decide to concentrate on the Software instead.

I suppose now would be a good time to introduce the armies themselves. The first to enter the battlefield was Sega, the second was Sony, the third was Nintendo and the last was Microsoft.

“The main thing about this war is simply numbers. Make sure your force is bigger than the others, no fighting will actually take place” Said Too God.
“Why not? What’s the point in that?” asked Tree God.
“This will be a war of busines. Who ever gains the largest share of the market will be deemed the winner.” Replied Too God. “It will be a difficult choice for the consumer, they will have to take into account many things: price, games, graphics, extras. It will all be thrown at them and they need to decide, through all that, what to get.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The first blow was struck when Sega announced the DreamCast, thousands flocked to the Sega banners to take up the fight against all comers. Sega promised amazing graphics, great games and online play. People were amazed. Sony retaliated with the announcement of the PS2. Sony already had a large army of all the PSX owners, and hoped to build on this force with people who were dissatisfied with the N64. Sony pledged superior graphics to the DC, as well as backward compatibility with all existing software for the PSX. All normal wartime propaganda was employed, including sequels of the most popular PSX games, namely GT3 and MGS2. Sony thought they had the war won.

An announcement was to follow from Nintendo and Microsoft. They would be entering the battlefield as well, with the GameCube and the X-Box respectively. Some people joked that Microsoft would have no idea and fail miserably. Others remind them that ‘the same was said of Sony some 7 or 8 years ago and look at the situation now, sunshine’. This couldn’t really be argued with, but some still discounted the X-Box completely.

As the launch for the PS2 was nearing, some predicted the war would be over imminently, they felt Sony would ‘walk away with it and the Sega army would be going home in an ambulance.’ Fighting talk indeed. Unfortunately for Sony a mini disaster struck! They didn’t have enough machines at launch and some machines were faulty, fans were left disgruntled. Sega jumped on the opportunity and that Christmas the price of the DC was slashed to entice extra sales. It worked. The Sega army swelled as people left the Sony camp and joined Sega’s army.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“What shall we do Sir?” Asked an employee at Sony.
The head honcho of the PS2 project was annoyed. Things were not going according to plan, and all because of the damn distribution problems! He thumped his table in anger, making the cup of coffee fall over. He was now going to have to do something he didn’t really want to.
“Ok,” He sighed in resignation, “We have to do it now, I really have no other choice.” He took a deep breath, “Release some more GT3 and MGS2 screenshots. That should get some interest back….”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It did indeed work. People started going back to the Sony colours, it was mission accomplished. Sony still had a sizeable force however, when, one day...

...Sega announced they were stopping the manufacture of the DC hardware. This had a mixed effect on their army, some people left to join the Sony camp, some people left to join the Nintendo and Microsoft camp even though neither of them had machines on the battlefield at that time. Because of the stop in hardware manufacture, the price was dropped by an amazing amount. This did cause the army to grow slightly as a greater number of people were buying than selling.

- - - - - - - - - - -

“How long is this likely to go on for?” Asked Wun God.
“’Til there is a clear winner.”
“But that could take ages, these people are so fickle, they could go backwards and forwards forever!”

- - - - - - - - - -

The war was continuing, both sides losing and gaining numbers of people as the encounter continued. Sony seemed to have the larger army.. The Sega forces were undoubtedly outnumbered within a few months of the Sony machine entering the field of war. However, Sega managed to keep hold of the majority of its forces, even after they stopped production by promising a continued supply of quality software.

E3 came along and the Nintendo army grew to its biggest yet. The company had some impressive titles on show, and coupled with the launch of the GBA in Japan, Rumour and Anticipation were doing their jobs admirably, interest was at an all time high. A lot of new fighters were thought to be coming from the Sega camp as it was suggested that Sega would team up with Nintendo and supply a large amount of third party support. Some Sega fans went over to the Microsoft colours enticed by the promise of the best graphics yet seen on a console. Funnily enough, only a small percentage of Sega’s forces went to the Sony army...

“Ok, so one of them is out of it now. Does that mean it’s nearly over?” Asked the ever-impatient Wun God.
“Maybe, maybe not. There is still a long way to go, we shall have to wait and see.” Replied Tree God.

Finally Nintendo and Microsoft release their hardware to mass expectation. The armies of all sides change around, grew and reduce, the Sega army nearly disappears altogether. The war is excellent for the consumer, the prices are kept low and the software is very impressive.

Finally, a winner emerges through the dust cloud created by the movement of so many people. As ever, the Gods are looking down….

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“So that’s the winner” Excellent, I shall go to the shops and one of those right now” Wun God runs out to go and make his purchase. Tree God also leaves to make a purchase. After a while they both return.

“What have you got one of those for?” Asks Wun God, “It didn’t win, it can’t be any good.”

“Just because some people like it, doesn’t make it the right choice for me. I bought this because I wanted to, not because I wanted to fit in with everyone else.”

6 Months later….

“I’m bored” Complains Wun God.

“Why don’t you play on your console? I’m playing on mine……..”
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:17
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Wow, I am amazed that I actually read it all. ;-)

The point at the end was interesting though and is true to a point as people who owned a N64 enjoyed it even though it had 'lost' and I for one will enjoy my PS2 even if that geek-boy Gates takes over the world with his XL-box!

Oh yeah, and were did Wun God and Tree God come from?
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:23
Regular
""
Arghh that was a good story and I feel like I d..rr...iiii...fffffff....tttt...ing of........f to sle...ep!
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
jd99 wrote:
and were did Wun God and Tree God come
> from?

I didn't know what else to call them, 1 God, 2 God etc seemed a bit stupid.

I had a bit of authors block :-)
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:27
Regular
Missing the stories yet? :0)

I was meaning to start a topic about that actually... not a new story just yet...
Tue 12/06/01 at 19:31
Regular
Grix Thraves: Always keeping to the point of a thread.

:-)
Wed 13/06/01 at 18:59
Where would we be without the console wars, eh? Yep, it’s that time again so buckle up and get ready for another round of ‘Who will win the next-gen console war?’

The battle now is obviously between the PlayStation2, Xbox and GameCube, with Sega now providing software support. I will highlight the main pros and cons of each console in turn, beginning with the PlayStation2.

The PS2 has the considerable advantage of being released long before the other two. It now has the chance to build up a good user base before the others are even on the market. Although it has made a poor start, with the pre-order fiasco and a lack of quality games, there is better to come. Killer app like Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 3 and Final Fantasy 10 (yeah, they’re all sequels) will sell thousands of PS2s, as will new titles like The Getaway, Ico and Devil May Cry and an expected price drop will also be welcome. Also, it will soon have online capabilities.

Next up is the Xbox. Of the three, least is known about Microsoft’s first console, although already the signs are not good. There are fears that it may become too much like a PC (with the Pentium processor, etc), and it is notoriously hard for a non-Japanese console to crack the Japanese market (those Japs like to keep their own economy healthy). Still, we shouldn’t really pass judgement just yet, and it will certainly have strong financial backing from Mr. Gates.

Thirdly, and lastly, we have the GameCube, Nintendo’s 128-bit offering. It’s started off on the right foot with a projected selling price of £199 (and comes with four joypad ports, so no £30 MultiTaps here). Stunning titles like Luigi’s Mansion and Star Fox: Dinosaur Planet have already been unveiled, there will quite probably be games featuring Nintendo’s many other mascots, like Zelda, Donkey Kong and of course those annoying/cute (delete as applicable) Pokemon. And not forgetting Mario of course – Shigeru Miyamoto is rumoured to have been working on ‘100 Marios’ since he finished Mario 64. The only criticism of the GC could be that some still find Nintendo a bit childish.

Any of these three super-consoles could succeed, but there is one other that will almost definitely do well – the GameBoy Advance. It has no real competition in the handheld market, is much cheaper and can be played on the move.

I’m not going to start saying which is the best console, because that argument has been going on for far too long. Nor am I going to say who will win this titanic struggle – I’ll let you decide…all right, I just don’t know. Who does? Each console has its own good points and bad points and equally deserves to do well. One thing’s for sure though: the healthy competition will mean that there is one true winner – the consumer. Yes, that’s you!
Wed 13/06/01 at 19:00
Console wars rule.
Wed 13/06/01 at 19:03
Your Honour wrote:
> Grix Thraves: Always keeping to the point of a thread.

:-)

This is how it should of been!: Grix Thraves, always keeping to the point of the thread....

SEE it needs a commor!

and here we go...
Wed 13/06/01 at 21:00
Regular
God would shoot you for such crappy topic....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.