GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"European Comission Probes big business!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/06/01 at 14:13
Regular
The European Comission is looking into fair trade between the world biggest businesses and their ability to segregate the DVD world. Apparently they are probing the issue of the price of DVDs in America and Europe and asking the biggest producers why there is such a trans-atlantic difference in price, they are also looking into why DVDs cost, on average £7, more than videos when it costs them roughly £3 more to make them.

This is the latest in a long line of Rio-Off Britain in the newspapers and one which will come under massive scrutiny and be widened to the whole of the Home Entertainment Sector. It is not just DVDs which cost us more money, CDs, Clothes and trips to the cinema all cost more in the UK than in the States.

But what I would really like to see is the same scrutiny being applied to the computer games industry. Here in Europe we pay more than most other countries to buy the latest console hardware and games. Consoles and their games are subject to the same regional restrictions which DVDs are put under, but this is not highlighted as much by the users. How many people do you know who buy region 1 DVDs becaus ethey are cheaper and usually have better quality extras?? The same should be applied to games, games palyers should buy american games because they are faster and cheaper.

Just think of having your PS2 chipped at an extra cost, but saving that on the money you saved buying imported games off of the net. All that is needed are a few sites which have a cheap delivery service. The only problem in this ideal situation is, thats never going to happen.

All we can hope for are the politicians to get their act together and fight for cheaper home entertainment for us all. Until then we are stuck with our more expensive and inferior hobby compared to the rest of the world. Oh well, so much for consumer power, we are all manipulated by big business and there is nothing we can do about it on our little island.
Tue 12/06/01 at 14:13
Regular
The European Comission is looking into fair trade between the world biggest businesses and their ability to segregate the DVD world. Apparently they are probing the issue of the price of DVDs in America and Europe and asking the biggest producers why there is such a trans-atlantic difference in price, they are also looking into why DVDs cost, on average £7, more than videos when it costs them roughly £3 more to make them.

This is the latest in a long line of Rio-Off Britain in the newspapers and one which will come under massive scrutiny and be widened to the whole of the Home Entertainment Sector. It is not just DVDs which cost us more money, CDs, Clothes and trips to the cinema all cost more in the UK than in the States.

But what I would really like to see is the same scrutiny being applied to the computer games industry. Here in Europe we pay more than most other countries to buy the latest console hardware and games. Consoles and their games are subject to the same regional restrictions which DVDs are put under, but this is not highlighted as much by the users. How many people do you know who buy region 1 DVDs becaus ethey are cheaper and usually have better quality extras?? The same should be applied to games, games palyers should buy american games because they are faster and cheaper.

Just think of having your PS2 chipped at an extra cost, but saving that on the money you saved buying imported games off of the net. All that is needed are a few sites which have a cheap delivery service. The only problem in this ideal situation is, thats never going to happen.

All we can hope for are the politicians to get their act together and fight for cheaper home entertainment for us all. Until then we are stuck with our more expensive and inferior hobby compared to the rest of the world. Oh well, so much for consumer power, we are all manipulated by big business and there is nothing we can do about it on our little island.
Tue 12/06/01 at 14:20
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Im with you Bonus, the industry has got to start respecting British Gamers. Theres no reason why we should pay so much for games that have been out in the states for six months.
Tue 12/06/01 at 15:01
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah I hate waiting!
Tue 12/06/01 at 23:34
Regular
My gets most of his DVDs as imports from America. Becasue they are so cheap over there, after postage and packaging he still pays less than what we have to pay in British shops!

But its got to do wiht supply and demand i suppose. DVDs seem to be selling very well at the moment, so the companies have no reason to put the price of them down. We are prepared to pay that price. The only way it would change if we were all to stop buying buying them.
Wed 13/06/01 at 00:01
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Dollar's plummeting at the moment though...down to $1.37 to the pound...always think of it as $1.5
Wed 13/06/01 at 00:24
Regular
yeah its at its lowest point in somthin like 15 years innit.
Wed 13/06/01 at 08:56
Thats the pound thats plumeting guys not the Dollar, your Pound is now worth less in Dollars!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.