GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games industry and its over population"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 22:51
Regular
The Games industry is a fickle thing.With the boasts in sales thanks to Sony seeling games consoles to the main stream.The Console has been a box at the side of every telly in the world for at least 3 years and Sony is to thank for this.You cant say anything other than this because the industry was drowing and the playstation hit the market the right time to make an impact on the public.But i feel,i get that sinking feeling gain.

With consoles getting released left right and centre,it isnt a surprise the market is getting over populated and will continue to do so come a years time.There came a time when there was only 2 serious players in the games Industry,Sega and Nintendo.But know the "cookie tin is becomming full" the games companies are releasing there big guns in hope of massive sales,sadly i cant see this happening,they are going to steal each others thunder.

Everything this year and early next is affecting the future of the industry.Though im looking forward to this "next generation" of gaming,i cannot help but be sceptical.Come next easter,the following list will still be in homes and Still being played on.
-Playstation
-Playstation 2
-Dreamcast
-X Box
-Gamecube
-N 64
-Gameboy colour
-Gameboy Advance

That is a huge list for one industry to deal with.Sales will slow down because people wont have the money to buy quality releases because there too busy buying the consoles..It is outrageous to think that there will be 8 pieces of hardware circulating the public.Though some of these will be in limited supply and wont get the light of day,they will still be a part fo the industry.

I mean,who can afford to buy all these consoles,sure you could stick with the one and wait for these great games to come and go,but if you want complete choice then you need to own them,because we all know that if you miss out on a good game then you feel strangley left out.The industry is getting to crowded and i feel it will break it.But hey we can all hope it doesnt because there are some classic games comming our way,and it will be a shame if they cant accumulate the sales they deserve.

Thanks for Reading
Wilmaaaa
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:51
The Games industry is a fickle thing.With the boasts in sales thanks to Sony seeling games consoles to the main stream.The Console has been a box at the side of every telly in the world for at least 3 years and Sony is to thank for this.You cant say anything other than this because the industry was drowing and the playstation hit the market the right time to make an impact on the public.But i feel,i get that sinking feeling gain.

With consoles getting released left right and centre,it isnt a surprise the market is getting over populated and will continue to do so come a years time.There came a time when there was only 2 serious players in the games Industry,Sega and Nintendo.But know the "cookie tin is becomming full" the games companies are releasing there big guns in hope of massive sales,sadly i cant see this happening,they are going to steal each others thunder.

Everything this year and early next is affecting the future of the industry.Though im looking forward to this "next generation" of gaming,i cannot help but be sceptical.Come next easter,the following list will still be in homes and Still being played on.
-Playstation
-Playstation 2
-Dreamcast
-X Box
-Gamecube
-N 64
-Gameboy colour
-Gameboy Advance

That is a huge list for one industry to deal with.Sales will slow down because people wont have the money to buy quality releases because there too busy buying the consoles..It is outrageous to think that there will be 8 pieces of hardware circulating the public.Though some of these will be in limited supply and wont get the light of day,they will still be a part fo the industry.

I mean,who can afford to buy all these consoles,sure you could stick with the one and wait for these great games to come and go,but if you want complete choice then you need to own them,because we all know that if you miss out on a good game then you feel strangley left out.The industry is getting to crowded and i feel it will break it.But hey we can all hope it doesnt because there are some classic games comming our way,and it will be a shame if they cant accumulate the sales they deserve.

Thanks for Reading
Wilmaaaa
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:56
Regular
N64 GBC and DC games will not be in production anymore next year so that knocks a few off your list. The psx wont still be going next year will it? i think most psx onwers will have taken the transition up to the PS2 by then. So that should only leave the main 3 consoles and the GBA ( which is in its own little market anyway).
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:57
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
That is alot of Consoles,although I would imagine that new games for the GameBoy, N64 and Dreamcast will soon be few and far between.
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:58
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
The Playstation will be alive forever Batistuta,

FIFA 2005 on PS1...you bet!
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:00
Regular
will it ever go away!
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:06
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Maybe when England Win the World Cup again!
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:07
Regular
So thats never right! nah england are looking like a good team under sven.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:10
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Good enough to win the World Cup, comming from an Argentinian Fan????

Thats probably a good thing.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:13
Regular
Well, after seeing them destroy mexico any fan of any nation has to agree that England are becoming a team to fear. When Owen is on top form his pace is frightning.
Mon 11/06/01 at 23:16
England are certainly looking good. Good enough to win the world cup even. Sven has done well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.