GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New PC - help please"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 22:29
Regular
I am shortly going to get a new PC (sorry SR, but not from you - I get one on the cheap through a benefits package at work).

I'll be upgrading from a PII 233, 64 MEG RAM, 6 (? I think) gig HD to PIV 1400, 256 RAM, 60 gig HD.

However, there is a problem. My old PC will go to my daughter who lives 200 miles away on 1st July. My new PC doesn't arrive until mid July.

So the point is, how do I transfer all my favourites, dial up, software etc without having to link up the computers?

I apologise. I am not a PC expert (and the answer is probably an easy one)and am undeserving of owning such a powerful new machine, but I get it on the cheap.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Wed 13/06/01 at 23:19
Regular
Mmmm, it's not gonna happen unless you keep a hold of the HDD, if you had a CD-r drive an up to date version of Norton Ghost could have made an image on CDs for you, but that isn't likely, I don't think!!
Wed 13/06/01 at 23:16
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
If you have a reasonable number of files and try to do this with anything below a broadband connection, you'll spend hours just watching your files go to freeola and back...
Wed 13/06/01 at 23:00
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
If your a member of Freeola... why not try putting all your files on your Free Web Space???
Just not in the htdocs folder, then you can get to them when your new PC comes, and people can't get to them over the Internet.
Wed 13/06/01 at 22:03
I wouldnt recommed copying software actoss - you'll get far fewer problems if you reinstall all major programs (i.e. office, big games) etc, basically anything over 5Mb. In terms of the little shareware/freeare/demo programs you've no doubtedly got, go through your start menu and desktop and find out how many it is worth keeping. For the ones you want to keep, but don't have the original media for one reason or another (pirate copies, downloaded from the internet), u can either copy it to disk, or download them again. If you find there aren;t many programs that you can't reinstall, then the easiest solution is probably just to copy the following things to a floppy disk:

c:\windows\favorites
c:\my documents
c:\windows\desktop
c:\windows\[profiles] (maybe)

and make a text file containing dial-up settings, and any other settings you wish to retain (i.e. outlook accounts). it may be worthwhile exporting these to the floppy disk and importing them onto your new PC.

when i last formatted my PC, i used 2 Zip Disks to back up everything I needed. if u don't have many documents, then you could probably do it with a couple of floppy disks. otherwise, just try to borrow a USB Zip 100Mb for 2 weeks. these are simple to install and remove, and have a fairly versatile media.
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:42
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Well, you could remove your current hard drive and keep it until the new machine comes, then send it on to your daughter seperately - if she wanted one in the meantime, they're reasonably cheap now, I've seen 40gb for £84, but if you dont need that much space then they are available for sub-£50.

Another option would be to back-up all the files that you want to keep on to removeable media - CD, for example, or better yet a Jazz drive. I could understand you not wanting to buy one of these just to transfer your files, but you might find a friend who has an external one that you could just plug in and use for backups, then give back.

Alternatively, if you have a friend who's willing and you don't want to back up your entire hard drive, you could ask to put some files on to their pc/laptop just for a fortnight - they shouldn't have any objection, as long as it's only for a few weeks, and you could transfer then reasonably quickly over a network.

Other than that, good luck finding hundreds of floppies..
Mon 11/06/01 at 22:29
I am shortly going to get a new PC (sorry SR, but not from you - I get one on the cheap through a benefits package at work).

I'll be upgrading from a PII 233, 64 MEG RAM, 6 (? I think) gig HD to PIV 1400, 256 RAM, 60 gig HD.

However, there is a problem. My old PC will go to my daughter who lives 200 miles away on 1st July. My new PC doesn't arrive until mid July.

So the point is, how do I transfer all my favourites, dial up, software etc without having to link up the computers?

I apologise. I am not a PC expert (and the answer is probably an easy one)and am undeserving of owning such a powerful new machine, but I get it on the cheap.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.