GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation 2 Gets New Look - Smaller, Slimmer and Network Ready"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/09/04 at 13:04
Regular
PlayStation 2 Gets New Look - Smaller, Slimmer and Network Ready

London, 21 September 04 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that a completely new look PlayStation® 2 (SCPH-70000 CB) will become available throughout Europe on 1st November 2004.

While inheriting the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PlayStation 2 (SCPH-50000), the internal architecture has been completely redesigned, resulting in a slimmer and more lightweight design. Internal volume has been reduced by 75%, weight has been halved, and thickness trimmed down to 2.8 cm (thickness of current model is 7.8 cm). Equipped with an integrated Ethernet port for network gaming, the new PlayStation 2 sets new standards in the fusion of design and functionality.

Since its launch in November 2000, PlayStation 2, now in its fifth year has reached a consumer installed base of nearly 24 million units in the PAL territories. The exciting new design, combined with the price reduction in August to €149 will position PlayStation 2 for ever greater success over the next half of its life.

The new design PlayStation 2 will be supported by a lineup of exciting and innovative new titles, scheduled for launch in time for the peak Christmas period.

There are already over 1,000 games titles already available for PlayStation 2, and many more scheduled for launch before the end of the year, including SCEE published titles such as Gran Turismo 4, The Getaway: Black Monday, Singstar Party, EyeToy® Play 2 and Killzone, and over 150 more titles from leading third party publishers.

Commenting at the launch of the new design, David Reeves, President of SCEE said, “We did it for PlayStation and now this time for PlayStation 2. This totally redesigned, network ready model will demonstrate that PlayStation has once again the design flair and innovation that has made PlayStation the world’s best loved and most successful games console. We are confident that the combination of a new, more affordable price point, the great Christmas lineup and now this stunning new PlayStation 2 model will encourage a whole new generation of consumers to experience the fun of PlayStation”.

Product Name - PlayStation®2
Color - Charcoal Black
Product Code - SCPH-70002 CB (for Oceania)/ SCPH-70003 CB (for UK)/ SCPH-70004 CB (for Europe)
Release Date - November 1st, 2004 (Monday)
Recommended Retail Price - 149 Euros
Dimensions - Approximately 230 mm (W) ×28 mm (H) ×152 mm (D)
*internal volume about 23% of the current model
Weight - Approximately 900g
*weight about 45% of the current model
Power requirements - DC 8.5V
Electrical current consumption (power consumption) - Approximately 5.3A (approximately 45W)
Compatible format - PlayStation format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 format DVD-ROM
Audio CD
DVD-Video*
DVD-RW (VR mode)
* The term "DVD-Video" is used to refer to DVD-R, DVD-RW (Video mode), DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.
Interfaces Controller Port x 2
MEMORY CARD slot x 2

USB connector x 2
NETWORK connector x 1 (100BASE-TX/10BASE-T)

DC IN 8.5V connector x 1
AV MULTI OUT connector x 1
DIGITAL OUT(OPTICAL) connector x 1
Included PlayStation 2 console x 1
Analog Controller(DUALSHOCK®2) x 1
AV Cable (integrated audio/video) x 1
AC Adaptor (AC power cord included) x 1
Euro-AV Connector Plug x 1 *SCPH-70003 CB, 70004 CB only
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:21
"Was the man of marz"
1: Sony still havn't realised that the shape sucks
2: Its most probably full of cheaper components
3: I think its sad when people pay more for the same thing that they've got but in a different shape or colour

I bet it still plays pirate Dvds in balck and white, haha
Sun 26/09/04 at 10:33
Regular
its better the slimmer ps2 less weight,heavy,all ready to play online
Sun 26/09/04 at 10:27
[URL]http://www.engadget.com/entry/8413288107686276/[/URL]

More pics.

And I've changed my mind, whats with that line across the middle?
Sun 26/09/04 at 10:24
I like it, very nice.
Sun 26/09/04 at 08:54
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yeah...

Some piccies would be nice :P.
Sat 25/09/04 at 23:53
Regular
what about images ha
Sat 25/09/04 at 19:53
Regular
"Braaains"
Tyla wrote:
> viperfire wrote:
> Does it still have the built in I/R receiver?
>
> Yes, only down side is no HDD support

Which will be a downer for the naughty people who found a way of running games off the PS2's HD.
Thu 23/09/04 at 16:26
Regular
weres the image of the slim ps2?
Wed 22/09/04 at 21:35
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Well i was reading an old ps2 mag from 2002 talking about a christmas release for the HDD in Europe :-D

and i wouldn't say that, the European PS2 may be a lost cause but the US and Japanese still have some great games to look forward to
Wed 22/09/04 at 21:04
"period drama"
Yes indeed, I think the HDD is almost certainly a lost cause.
What was the release date? A year ago last March?

ahahaaarr.
I can't believe how much PS2 sucks these days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.