GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UK Game - US Expansion Pack... Will It Work"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/09/04 at 20:13
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
I have a game that I bought in the UK and I want to buy an expansion pack for it from the US.
Will this work ok?
I thought it might because PC games aren't region encoded, but I wanted to check.

Thanks
Sat 25/09/04 at 23:05
Regular
Dont you need an English version of your OS for it to work.
Says on most games:
'English Version of Windows XP Needed'
I guess that includes US versions as the English versions are bound to US settings by default.
Wed 22/09/04 at 16:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
It will be fine.
Wed 22/09/04 at 12:45
Regular
"A man with a stick"
PC Games aren't bound by regional coding, a US PC game will work on a European PC, though I'm sure how that works with expansion packs.

As has already been said, there are occasions where patches are released for games from different countries. If you already have the expansion I'd probably say try re-installing the original game without patching it, then install the expansion to see if it works.

By all accounts, there could be absolutely no problems with US expansion packs for UK games, though that's a risk I personally wouldn't take. Still, I'd have waited for the expansion to be released over here considering it'd have been cheaper.
Tue 21/09/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It really depends on the game. Things you can check that might give you some clue
-Check for patches, see if they are regionalised, ie is there a US patch and a UK patch.
-If the game has been rated for its violence level or something then you'll maybe find them incompatible, as the US has tighter controls over its rating and you sometimes find blood etc. removed so they can pass without a rating.

For the most part, they don't seem to specifically make them incompatible, but regions do have different versions of the games sometimes for whatever reason (language, content changes etc.) which means when you try to install expansions they don't recognize the version of the game you have.
Tue 21/09/04 at 22:57
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
The only advise i can give is that iv tried doing it with a korean base game and an english exspansion and that didn't work. Im not sure about english over american or visa versa but i would think it should work.
Tue 21/09/04 at 22:28
"The Will of D."
what game?
but i seriously doubt it, but i don't have any knowledge of it other than on the consoles.
Tue 21/09/04 at 20:13
"Shotgun+Zombie=Mess"
I have a game that I bought in the UK and I want to buy an expansion pack for it from the US.
Will this work ok?
I thought it might because PC games aren't region encoded, but I wanted to check.

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.