GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My new love..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/09/04 at 11:10
Regular
Recently something wonderful happened; I rediscovered a truly wonderful part of gaming that has been long forgotten for some time now. For those of you who don't know, I was lucky enough to get my hands on Treasure's latest title, Astro Boy.

It really rekindled my passion for what is, and always has been, one of my most-loved genres; the side-scroller. Anyone who's been playing games for longer than eight-or-nine years will know only too well the joy of beating 15 bad guys to a pulp at once, or absolutely destroying a screen-filling ugly that's ten times your own size. I think it's wonderful that even after all this time, there seems to be a mini-re-revolution, a revival of a once-thriving genre.

There are still no signs of a Streets of Rage update, but I think we're in the process of a slow uprising of these games. There's always going to be the odd game appear here and there, such as Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga and R-Type Final, all cult classics each to their own, gathering a small but loyal following who have been begging for sequels and continuations of such classic, high-octane kill-fests.

But now there's seems to be a large collection building up, both in the readily-released titles and upcoming pre-release schedules. There's the aforementioned Astro Boy and Guardian Heroes Advance both coming to the GBA soon in Europe, what seems to be a regeneration of the Metal Slug series with 2 XBox titles and a GBA version all on their way, and of course a Viewtiful Joe sequel.

Whether we're on the brink of modern-retro regurgitation all over the gaming world or merely one of those moments that the hardcore will savour and others will ignore, I think it's brilliant that these kind of games are still being made, and furthermore better than ever. As tough and frantic all the old classics were, thanks to obvious technical advances I don't think we've ever seen games so chaotic. Mid-way through Astro Boy, when the build-up of enemies really starts to reach great numbers, you'll experience some truly astounding moments of lightning-fast dexterity and headrush while kicking seven shades of robot metal out of intense array of foes on-screen at one time.

As good as all the 'originals' of the genre are, Treasure just have that ability to twist things so much that, even today, they are still making huge leaps in what is essentially a pre-historic genre. There's something just so satisfying about perfectly cleansing levels of their evil cronies that means you can't really compare these titles to anything else on the market. Or off the market for that matter. In fact I've found myself doing something that I've always despised; playing simply to beat high-scores. I've usually only admired real progression in games, so when something comes along that compels me to go on despite knowing all it will get me is higher numbers commands respect. The last game that really got me going for high-scores was Ikaruga; it's strange, I never liked Tetris because of the emphasis on gaining a high score, and I try to avoid puzzle games altogether for that very reason, yet the second something as exciting as Astro Boy or Ikaruga come along I just can't resist.

To me, this is what's missing from the mass-market. The real determination to keep on playing long after completion. While depth in storyline is great for a one-off experience, I think depth in play is far more important. It's a shame that finding a game with true depth, that even makes doing basically the same thing multiple times, is so hard to come across these days. I last fully 3D one I can think of is Pikmin, I've kept coming back month after month to play through the game just because it's so much fun to play, and each time it's compelled me to do better than I previously did.

To me this is becoming a long-lost gem of gaming. Think about the last time a game truly urged you to keep on playing without any sort of incentive other than a greater number printed beneath your name?

Now comes my new obsession, a little-known title that goes by the name of Alien Hominid. All it started out as was a small Flash internet game, inspired by the super-powers of the genre such as Contra and, of course, any one of Treasure's... treasures. Now it's set to launch in 2005 for all home-consoles.

Why is it so special? Well, unlike Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga and R-Type, it's true 2D. No psuedo-2D worlds with 3D models or environments, everything here as flat as it could be. It’s taking all the power from the home-consoles today and thanks to it being entirely 2D it is looking to be truly frantic. While I don't think it will manage to reach the heights of Treasure's bullet-dodging antics, it looks like it could be up there with most fast-paced games around.

All these new titles is just making me wonder if this genre could finally be getting the recognition it deserves, and giving more people the chance to savour the delights of Treasure's genius.

So this is a call to all those reading this post; just get some of these games. I think it would be a great shame if such classics were passed by. For me Astro Boy is proof that there's no such thing as a dying genre, and how anything can be reinvigorated with a little bit of effort, and little bit of high-octane battling and a little bit of Treasure.
Wed 22/09/04 at 11:10
Regular
Recently something wonderful happened; I rediscovered a truly wonderful part of gaming that has been long forgotten for some time now. For those of you who don't know, I was lucky enough to get my hands on Treasure's latest title, Astro Boy.

It really rekindled my passion for what is, and always has been, one of my most-loved genres; the side-scroller. Anyone who's been playing games for longer than eight-or-nine years will know only too well the joy of beating 15 bad guys to a pulp at once, or absolutely destroying a screen-filling ugly that's ten times your own size. I think it's wonderful that even after all this time, there seems to be a mini-re-revolution, a revival of a once-thriving genre.

There are still no signs of a Streets of Rage update, but I think we're in the process of a slow uprising of these games. There's always going to be the odd game appear here and there, such as Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga and R-Type Final, all cult classics each to their own, gathering a small but loyal following who have been begging for sequels and continuations of such classic, high-octane kill-fests.

But now there's seems to be a large collection building up, both in the readily-released titles and upcoming pre-release schedules. There's the aforementioned Astro Boy and Guardian Heroes Advance both coming to the GBA soon in Europe, what seems to be a regeneration of the Metal Slug series with 2 XBox titles and a GBA version all on their way, and of course a Viewtiful Joe sequel.

Whether we're on the brink of modern-retro regurgitation all over the gaming world or merely one of those moments that the hardcore will savour and others will ignore, I think it's brilliant that these kind of games are still being made, and furthermore better than ever. As tough and frantic all the old classics were, thanks to obvious technical advances I don't think we've ever seen games so chaotic. Mid-way through Astro Boy, when the build-up of enemies really starts to reach great numbers, you'll experience some truly astounding moments of lightning-fast dexterity and headrush while kicking seven shades of robot metal out of intense array of foes on-screen at one time.

As good as all the 'originals' of the genre are, Treasure just have that ability to twist things so much that, even today, they are still making huge leaps in what is essentially a pre-historic genre. There's something just so satisfying about perfectly cleansing levels of their evil cronies that means you can't really compare these titles to anything else on the market. Or off the market for that matter. In fact I've found myself doing something that I've always despised; playing simply to beat high-scores. I've usually only admired real progression in games, so when something comes along that compels me to go on despite knowing all it will get me is higher numbers commands respect. The last game that really got me going for high-scores was Ikaruga; it's strange, I never liked Tetris because of the emphasis on gaining a high score, and I try to avoid puzzle games altogether for that very reason, yet the second something as exciting as Astro Boy or Ikaruga come along I just can't resist.

To me, this is what's missing from the mass-market. The real determination to keep on playing long after completion. While depth in storyline is great for a one-off experience, I think depth in play is far more important. It's a shame that finding a game with true depth, that even makes doing basically the same thing multiple times, is so hard to come across these days. I last fully 3D one I can think of is Pikmin, I've kept coming back month after month to play through the game just because it's so much fun to play, and each time it's compelled me to do better than I previously did.

To me this is becoming a long-lost gem of gaming. Think about the last time a game truly urged you to keep on playing without any sort of incentive other than a greater number printed beneath your name?

Now comes my new obsession, a little-known title that goes by the name of Alien Hominid. All it started out as was a small Flash internet game, inspired by the super-powers of the genre such as Contra and, of course, any one of Treasure's... treasures. Now it's set to launch in 2005 for all home-consoles.

Why is it so special? Well, unlike Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga and R-Type, it's true 2D. No psuedo-2D worlds with 3D models or environments, everything here as flat as it could be. It’s taking all the power from the home-consoles today and thanks to it being entirely 2D it is looking to be truly frantic. While I don't think it will manage to reach the heights of Treasure's bullet-dodging antics, it looks like it could be up there with most fast-paced games around.

All these new titles is just making me wonder if this genre could finally be getting the recognition it deserves, and giving more people the chance to savour the delights of Treasure's genius.

So this is a call to all those reading this post; just get some of these games. I think it would be a great shame if such classics were passed by. For me Astro Boy is proof that there's no such thing as a dying genre, and how anything can be reinvigorated with a little bit of effort, and little bit of high-octane battling and a little bit of Treasure.
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:38
Regular
"Braaains"
Streets of Rage 2 was the best side-on beat-em-up ever. SOR 3 was just rubbish. Freedom Force was a 3D update that came out but that was pretty dire too.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:26
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
I remember completing Streets of Rage 3 in the shop...

(what was then called "Future Zone", now after being "Electronics Boutique" is now "GAME"...no match for Special Reserve's prices of course but still, they do have lots of branches ).

...what on earth did they do to it? It was too easy for one, the characters were weird, it just didn't have the feel of it's predecessor.
Tue 28/09/04 at 19:01
Regular
"Braaains"
True. The only thing a sequel should take from Streets of Rage 3 would be having Shiva as a playable character.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.