GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OOOooooh, Half Life 2: Collectors Edition"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 25/09/04 at 13:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Just a day after I told Little Hobbo I hadn’t a clue what the special edition of Half Life 2 would include, the first details of what the package will come boxed with where released.

While nothing is confirmed, and these additions are prone to change, it’s still a pretty impressive package.

As well as the DVD version of the game, the special edition will include:

* Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
* Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
* Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only (Are Valve trying to say something ;-)
* Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork

The T-Shirt I’m not bothered about, and having CS: Source in there means I don’t have to bother buying CS: Condition Zero to play the current Beta as I’d rather wait. What I’m most interested in is Half-Life: Source. I’m guessing it’ll be the original Half Life but with the graphics powering HL2, possibly not a full remake but I’d actually be interested to see the original game using the Source engine.

If these additions are true, then essentially the special edition will come with not just one game (HL2) but three (CS, and HL: Source). Sounds like a decent package overall, and unlike the UT2004 collectors edition, I haven’t seen anything that suggests this will be a limited release, so hopefully It’ll get a release over here too.

Hopefully that is, though I’m guessing if it does get released in sunny old, extortionate England it’ll cost a bit more than the $79.99 (or £45) it costs in America.

The Collectors Edition in full: [URL]http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp[/URL]
Sat 25/09/04 at 13:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Just a day after I told Little Hobbo I hadn’t a clue what the special edition of Half Life 2 would include, the first details of what the package will come boxed with where released.

While nothing is confirmed, and these additions are prone to change, it’s still a pretty impressive package.

As well as the DVD version of the game, the special edition will include:

* Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
* Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
* Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only (Are Valve trying to say something ;-)
* Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork

The T-Shirt I’m not bothered about, and having CS: Source in there means I don’t have to bother buying CS: Condition Zero to play the current Beta as I’d rather wait. What I’m most interested in is Half-Life: Source. I’m guessing it’ll be the original Half Life but with the graphics powering HL2, possibly not a full remake but I’d actually be interested to see the original game using the Source engine.

If these additions are true, then essentially the special edition will come with not just one game (HL2) but three (CS, and HL: Source). Sounds like a decent package overall, and unlike the UT2004 collectors edition, I haven’t seen anything that suggests this will be a limited release, so hopefully It’ll get a release over here too.

Hopefully that is, though I’m guessing if it does get released in sunny old, extortionate England it’ll cost a bit more than the $79.99 (or £45) it costs in America.

The Collectors Edition in full: [URL]http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp[/URL]
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:21
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
WoW! I STILL havent played the original half life, I was considering getting it along with the DX8.1 graphics pack (blue shift) through STEAM but I haven't heard very encouraging things about steam.

That looks really attractive and means no faffing around with STEAM, that T-shirt will give me awesome geek status as well.
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:23
Regular
Steam sucks.
You can only have one account per a Serial Number for a product.
That sucks big fat monkey balls.
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:27
Regular
Wow that looks really good. Just hope I have the money to buy it :D
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:28
Regular
Lipe wrote:
> Wow that looks really good. Just hope I have the money to buy it :D

And the system to run it :p

Looks like I would have to do a complete upgrade if i had to buy it.
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:30
Regular
Mode wrote:
> Lipe wrote:
> Wow that looks really good. Just hope I have the money to buy it :D
>
> And the system to run it :p

Hehe, I just need a new graphics card thankfully. Saving up for one then once I buy that, I start saving up for HL2. Gonna take a while :(
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:52
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Lipe wrote:
> Hehe, I just need a new graphics card thankfully. Saving up for one
> then once I buy that, I start saving up for HL2. Gonna take a while
> :(

Radeon do a 3D card with a certifacte to claim HL2 for free when it's released, though that is because the 3D card they are selling it with is pretty darned expensive.

You could go for a Radeon 9600 pro though, I've seen some priced for a little over £70, which is a decent price considering the card is more than capable of handling all of todays games, and it scored highly in the HL2 benchmark.
Sat 25/09/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Braaains"
www.dvdboxoffice.com ships from Canada for free and offers decent prices. Though bear in mind you might get stung by customs.
Sat 25/09/04 at 20:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goddamnit, i already pre-ordered half life 2 months ago. I might cancel and get this instead.
Sat 25/09/04 at 20:51
Regular
I was thinking about changing my order, then I noticed how everything in the Collectors is a big crappy waste of money.

Collectors editions of games are always crap. Oooo it comes in a metal box!111 Oooo a crappy geek-shirt!!21 Ooooo an embossed pencil!!1

At least Special Edition DVDs are usually worth it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.