GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OOOooooh, Half Life 2: Collectors Edition"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Sat 25/09/04 at 13:16
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Just a day after I told Little Hobbo I hadn’t a clue what the special edition of Half Life 2 would include, the first details of what the package will come boxed with where released.

While nothing is confirmed, and these additions are prone to change, it’s still a pretty impressive package.

As well as the DVD version of the game, the special edition will include:

* Counter-Strike: Source - The next generation of the #1 online action game
* Half-Life: Source - Digitally remastered version of the original acclaimed PC game
* Free Limited Edition T-shirt - Offered in men's size XL only (Are Valve trying to say something ;-)
* Half-Life 2 Prima Book - Information on character backgrounds, the making of the game, and more than 100 pieces of artwork

The T-Shirt I’m not bothered about, and having CS: Source in there means I don’t have to bother buying CS: Condition Zero to play the current Beta as I’d rather wait. What I’m most interested in is Half-Life: Source. I’m guessing it’ll be the original Half Life but with the graphics powering HL2, possibly not a full remake but I’d actually be interested to see the original game using the Source engine.

If these additions are true, then essentially the special edition will come with not just one game (HL2) but three (CS, and HL: Source). Sounds like a decent package overall, and unlike the UT2004 collectors edition, I haven’t seen anything that suggests this will be a limited release, so hopefully It’ll get a release over here too.

Hopefully that is, though I’m guessing if it does get released in sunny old, extortionate England it’ll cost a bit more than the $79.99 (or £45) it costs in America.

The Collectors Edition in full: [URL]http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/243836.asp[/URL]
Tue 28/09/04 at 15:02
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Half Life: Source will give me a good reason to go back to the original game again, which I’ve attempted before but never quite stuck to it. I must reiterate though, these aren't confirmed, and I'll be holding out on my order until I see something concrete, and it appears in the UK. Importing it would mean waiting even longer to play HL2.
Mon 27/09/04 at 09:22
Regular
Re-mastered version of the original? That is me sold, regardless of what else is on the disk.

To be honest I had every plan of getting the Collectors edition purely because Half Life 2 is the big reason behind the Athlon FX53 and X800 XT PE setup that I have. I want to enjoy Half Life 2 in the best possible way.
Mon 27/09/04 at 09:04
Regular
CS:Source AND HL:Source??

*orders right away*
Sun 26/09/04 at 23:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I'm not a fan of CS, but playing a game online with Half Life 2 graphics? Something I can't pass up. Who knows, maybe CS: Source will actually get me into the game as It's not one I particularly like.
Sun 26/09/04 at 23:10
Regular
Semajál wrote:
> counter strike is poo

classic newbie post.
Sun 26/09/04 at 23:04
Regular
"Fake Plastic Tree"
counter strike is poo

*edit* feel i should add more to this :) HL2 looks cool though doubt id bother with a special pack.
Sun 26/09/04 at 22:53
Regular
"A man with a stick"
"Special Packaging", perhaps they should re0name it "extra layer of inconvenience" seeing as you have fart about getting the card cover open before getting the game out of it's box. The HL 2 collectors edition box looks great though, stupidly oversized but it'll sit nicely next to my PC.
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:14
Regular
"Braaains"
cipro wrote:
> Whitestripes DX wrote:

>
> At least it's not a "Special Packaged" edition like my copy
> of Doom 3 which gives you a, wait for, cardboard cover over the game
> case, which looks exactly like the game case. Now that's
> pointless, luckily I didn't have to pay an extra £15 for it.

Just try shopping at HMV - they do that with every big game/movie release, though they usually don't charge more.
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:07
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> I was thinking about changing my order, then I noticed how everything
> in the Collectors is a big crappy waste of money.

But I thought that was the whole appeal of collectors editions, to get lots of pointless extra's? No tin case though by the looks of it, and a re-mastered Half Life will give me new incentive to replay the original again.

At least it's not a "Special Packaged" edition like my copy of Doom 3 which gives you a, wait for, cardboard cover over the game case, which looks exactly like the game case. Now that's pointless, luckily I didn't have to pay an extra £15 for it.
Sat 25/09/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I own a Half Life T shirt.

That made me super cool at one time. When I was 12.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.