GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tekken 5"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tekken 5'.
Sun 26/09/04 at 10:55
Regular
Released date:Feb 2005
Official PlayStation 2 Magazine takes it on the chin, with the latest images and info from Namco's champ.

Even the greatest fighter must eventually concede defeat to a younger, stronger challenger... this is the way of the Iron Fist. Tekken's position as overlord of the fighting genre seemed unassailable during the PSone generation, but failure to innovate on PS2 has unquestionably hurt Namco's lead franchise. Last year, the release of Soul Calibur II seemed to confirm a seismic shift in the balance of power. Certainly our 10/10 score suggested so. However, Tekken isn't going quietly. The fifth instalment was announced recently and, although the home version isn't going to arrive until 2005, it's going to be a PS2 exclusive.

So what's new? Three characters, for starters: Feng Wei, Asuka Kazama and Raven. Most interesting is Raven (who might as well be called Wesley Snipes) and is said to use ninjitsu as his fighting style. Here's a full list of the characters returning from previous titles:

Kazuya Mishima
Lee Chaolan
Yoshimitsu
Jin Kazama
Ling Xiaoyu
Bryan Fury
Nina Williams
Paul Phoenix
Steve Fox
Craig Marduk
Christie Monteiro
King
Marshall Law
Julia Chang
Hwoarang
Lei Wulong
Jack
Bruce Irvin

We also understand that Anna Williams and Kuma will be unlockable. Which is good news for fans of sister-on-sister action and enormous angry bears, respectively. However, the major omission at this point is Heihachi Mishima. And according to the trailer, the series' long-standing bad guy is dead like drum 'n' bass - apparently killed by a squad of Jack robots led by Raven. Sh'yeah right. We fully expect the wizened old nutbag to turn up in the game - hopefully bursting out of an enormous cake at Kazuya's birthday party. Maybe that's just us...

Beyond the expanded roster, Namco is also promising improved visuals (and this latest batch of shots suggests it's not fibbing) plus arenas dotted with more breakable scenery. In a forthcoming interview with Arcadia magazine, the developer also reveals its considering adding a mode similar to Soul Calibur II's 'weapon master', which should add depth for solo players. The way characters interact with walls is also being tweaked, and we're told that 'juggling' will return to the way it was circa Tekken Tag Tournament.

All of which will no doubt have diehard fans hopping from one foot to the other in excitement, while beat-'em-up ingénues are left arching their eyebrows and wondering what all the fuss is about. Without the chance to actually play the game, it's impossible to say at this stage whether Tekken 5 will be able to snatch the fighting crown back from its sister title. Either way, fans are certain to lap it up like masochists at an a***-kicking convention. We'll keep you posted all the way up to the release.
Mon 27/09/04 at 21:04
Regular
"Bicycle"
Ho ho.
Mon 27/09/04 at 20:31
Regular
"Braaains"
No, 'King of Fighters' was a 2D beat-em-up from SNK.
Mon 27/09/04 at 15:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
witch-king wrote:
> But still relevant I think you'll agree. Better than him talking for
> himself :)

True :-D
Mon 27/09/04 at 14:08
Regular
"Touched!"
I didn't mind Tekken tag with some mates, but Tekken 2 was the king of fighters, most fighters have envolved, unfortunately Tekken hasn't much and the changes they have made were always too little too late or just copied from other games in the genre.
Mon 27/09/04 at 12:57
Regular
Coin wrote:
> Tekken went dowhill from 2, although 3 wasn't too bad.
Mon 27/09/04 at 12:54
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
But still relevant I think you'll agree. Better than him talking for himself :)
Sun 26/09/04 at 19:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
witch-king wrote:
> Wow, a relevant post from speedrally. I'm impressed.

a copy and paste job from speedrally
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:42
Regular
"Bicycle"
Tekken went dowhill from 2.
Sun 26/09/04 at 16:23
Regular
"Braaains"
Let the 'Tekken the mick' jokes begin.
Sun 26/09/04 at 14:10
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Wow, a relevant post from speedrally. I'm impressed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.