GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are video games dangerous for todays youth OR the exact opposit????"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 19:01
Regular
For years people have given video games a bad name, saying there :

violent
dangerous
and incourage inapropriate behaviour

And now with the release of the PS2 with the capability of more real,intense games and more able to recreate the feel of death making games more shocking, and horrifing . even more people are showing concern over games which cause and incourage anger, fear, violent and criminal behaviour.some of these games have been given censor ship age warning certificates but some parents choose to ignor these warnings. also kids generaly want to smoke , drink, watch films and play games before there old enough to , this makes them feel more meture and grown up.

But overs have discovered something new. From reset studies it seems that those who play video games generaly emerge more inteligent , strongly motivated and a high achiever. They also peform better in school , gain a university degree and go on to above average jobs. Even the playstation control pad teaches good morals. each button signifies something:

square = love
triangle = truth
X = fear
O = resentment

However this does not sit well with those who believe that playing video games leads to violent behaviour and damaged lives.

I say let your kids play video games they wont damage their lives they could even improve them and they will have a common intrest with others which they can share and talk about.
Games dont create pshco killers never does TV a bad up bringing, home life and lack of parental love and care will.

Fri 15/06/01 at 09:44
Regular
Video games are addictive and developers and also companys that make consoles know that, so with a little bit of hype they get our money even if the game is delayed for so many months it still sells eg Gt3 in Japan which also looks like it will sell over here. This is supposed to be business where they are supposed to satisy the consumer but NOOO!! what do we gamers in UK get, we get the games far later than the Japanese and the Americans and we pay the highest price but we still buy the game. Unlike any other industry the gaming industry is where the developer is right and the consumer has to listen to them, when they set a release date they should keep to it quite frankly I don't believe in games getting improved.

In business when one business is not offering you the best service you go to another but you cant do that in thegaming industry eg if Capcom delay a Resident Evil game what can you do since you really like Resident Evil (in other words addicted) you just have to wait.

I really don't like Nintendo's strategy of making children their biggest consumers I think it is "stealing candy from a baby"
Fri 15/06/01 at 09:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Well, I played MGS, and was arrested trying to infiltrate a Siberian Military Base.
So dont try that one.

And I constructed a rail-gun at home because of Quake but it went wrong and nailed my hand to my face.
So dont try that one.

And I stole an aeroplane and flew it into a building, but that was Bruce Willis' fault, not videogames.
Thu 14/06/01 at 23:49
It's brutal, but true. I can't say how much I agree with your posts, except on one point, you say that children who play computer games are often more intelligent than others. This, I believe, from personal experience, is true. However, you seem to say that children are made more intelligent by playing games. Admittedly certain games do tend to improve aspects of a child's intelligence (I can certainly say I have a greater knowledge of armed infiltration since playing MGS...heh heh heh), it is more often the case that children play games because they are more intelligent than other children, because of the isolation they naturally (and unfortunately) experience, which is a brutal reality of being more intelligent than others. Of all my friends, I can almost certainly say that the most intelligent, (and some might say screwed-up) play the most computer games, and without this escape they would almost certainly suffer psychologically. Many people think this is strange, but I ask them, imagine how you (assuming 'you' are a non-game player, indulge me) were deprived of television, which you might consider your 'escape'. You'd be devastated, (personally I find the exploits of Peggy and whoever in eastenders pale in comparison to the commanding the armies of medieval japan, or flying my naboo starfighter to victory in a raging space battle, but perhaps that's just me). so although videogaming might seem a bit more intense than the aforementioned inoffensive TV viewing, banning games is not the answer. Unless you want a generation of gibbering intelligentsia on your hands.
Imagine how messy that could be.

--!Paolo!
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:08
Regular
"You've upset me"
great post Jd! Ya won again!
Wed 13/06/01 at 13:45
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Hang on...

square = love
triangle = truth
X = fear
O = resentment

so in Gran Turismo you fear the accelerator and love the brakes? that can't be right.... ;p
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:30
this is true.

Only a highly disturbed individual (or someone who REALLY likes fish) would go out and attempt a hunting hawk kick combo on a grizzly bear......

I've been into games for about 14 years and I can safely say that I've never been influenced in real life by what I see and do on-screen.

I hope you'll support me when I say "find something other than games to blame, all you bl**dy do-gooders...oh yeah and stop making criminals out to be victims whilst you're at it"
Wed 13/06/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
I do not believe that video games are in the slightest bit dangerous for todays youth. How can computer games possibly be dangerous?

Ok, children are very impressionable. Children tend to take after someone near to them such as parents or an elder sibling and copy what they do and say. I know that video games have a big impression on children -I was one once- but I cannot bring myself to believe that games can have a harmful effect on the youth of today.

I feel that in today’s modern culture it is quite harmful to a child if he/she does NOT possess a PC or console. This is because they will be left out of the many conversations that revolve around video games. Also the children will be missing out sorely on a great way to spend their leisure time. Also, I wonder if these people who talk about the horrors of video gaming have ever really sat down and watched a child play a video game and seen first hand the pleasure that is readily available from these games.

I myself was raised in the computer game era from an early age, my first computer being a Spectrum. As a child I took part in horrendous activities such as murder, joy riding, GBH and various other unwholesome activities-In the games! Games such as the Resi-evil series, Driver and GTA are the genre of games that people think will harm todays youth. Now these games are by their very natural, criminal and some people seem to think that by doing things as a fictional character in a video game, children will imitate this in real life. Right so kids do exactly the same things as they do in video games, here are a few possible examples:

James walks out of his house after playing Quake 3 with a rocket launcher in search of deformed aliens so that he can blast them into multiple lumps of gore.

Bill sees a square metal shaped object and remembers from his video game experience (playing on Driver 2) that he must steal the car and kidnap someone before handing him over to a very scary man.

Charlie attempts to become a secret agent by infiltrating the local Comet store and snapping the guards neck’s in two before putting on his stealth suit and sneaking past the surveillance camera’s. (No introduction necessary for this one!)

Now please tell me that you do not believe that this sort of thing happens.

Also if video games like this have a dangerous affect on children then what about some more benign kids games such as Frogger and Pokemon. A few more possible scenarios needed I think:

Lucy wonders out into the street and spots a frog. She then decides to pretend to be a frog whilst crossing the M1 motorway.

Jack is on a nature hike when he encounters a badger and picks up some rocks (poke balls I think?) and throws them at the now enraged badger.

So if these examples are taken literally I have a point to make. In Driver 2 when you are caught by the police you are arrested teaching kids the pitfalls of crime. The brilliant MGS also shows children that if you become a secret agent when you are shot you die, horribly. Surely Frogger shows children that if they get run over by a lorry they will miraculously end up on the side of the road totally unhurt with two more lives. Now which game is more harmful to children? Following on from this logic, the people who believe that video games are harmful to children must want an outright ban on all video games! Strange or what.

If a child cannot deal with the simple frustration of a computer game without becoming abusive or violent then how on earth are they going to deal with real life events that come up like getting told off by a teacher or not being able to do a maths problem that everyone else can do. If it is looked at in this way then computer games can teach a very important lesson to children about how to deal with this frustration calmly by walking away.

Also a very important plus of video gaming is the usual release from stress that a good blast on an entertaining game can bring. If a child has not played on games all their life then by the time they are doing their GCSEs they will have to find other ways of stress relief, none of which could be as effective as taking your anger out on a fictional human on Tekken or another such game. Another benefit of gaming that tends to be overlooked is the ability of games to curb boredom in a child.

The games industry only exists for one reason-we love playing games. Games are made to be as entertaining and engrossing as possible so that they can be used as a form of escapism. Video games are played in a different world to our real one. Every time someone turns on a console/PC then they are transported to another world where they can do things that are just not possible in real life like saving the world, winning the F1 world championship or being a God and these experiences are great. However when the console is turned off this world vanishes as you return to reality and become a normal person again. How can they be used as an excuse for violent behaviour and be blamed for disturbing today's youth when the youth are exposed to murder stories every day on the news. Maybe we should abolish the news as it may influence young people to become a race of twisted murderers.
Sun 10/06/01 at 21:10
I've been playing games since the Atari 2600, I went from there to Master system, NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation, then to my exiting PC and PS2. When I did secondary school SATs I scored a 6 for maths and science and a 7 for english ( 7 is highest while 5 is the standard ) At GCSE I got 11 passes at higher level, worst was a C for computers ( go figure that one ) and the rest were B's and A's. At A level I got two Bs and one A and Im going to Uni this year. So I dont think they've done me much harm :)

However there is a point that the realism of such games is becoming much higher. Titles like the forthcoming Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are getting pretty close to photorealistic graphics. I think that despite this violence in games is not a cause of real violence. I've seen worse on the news in Cambodia, Bosnia and on tv. Theres more to the UK's rising violent crime stats than the humble video game......it's just an easy target for such criticism as it has no real organisation to defend the industry as a whole. They need something like the CBLDF in the USA.
Sun 10/06/01 at 20:11
Regular
"Back For Good"
Maybe in theory games help the mind but to be honest it can become a habit and a bad one too, also costs alot of money so there's financial problems there too haha.

Coming back to your point, Violence in Games has had parents up in arms for years, Some people go far out of their way to put an end to it by stiring up trouble with game companies just to have it removed or banned like grand theft auto.

Personally I don't like these people because they think it may harm their child seriously in later life when I think if games like Doom made someone's child in 10 years go out and copy the game then the child has the problem and we shouldn't suffer for it.

A while back in a PS2 magazine it commented on this issue and a big debate was written with it but in the end, they came to the conclusion that people shouldn't try to alter games and films and sort out the actual problem of the sick people who things like this might affect.

I couldn't agree more, If someone threw up watching the texas chainsaw massacre or something does that mean the whole world can't watch it just incase the same happens to another person.

I think people who make an issue about everything "bad" in video games should leave game companies alone and contact the BBFC to make the adult games strictly for 18+

I would have really liked Resident evil UNCUT, never mind.
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:01
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
For years people have given video games a bad name, saying there :

violent
dangerous
and incourage inapropriate behaviour

And now with the release of the PS2 with the capability of more real,intense games and more able to recreate the feel of death making games more shocking, and horrifing . even more people are showing concern over games which cause and incourage anger, fear, violent and criminal behaviour.some of these games have been given censor ship age warning certificates but some parents choose to ignor these warnings. also kids generaly want to smoke , drink, watch films and play games before there old enough to , this makes them feel more meture and grown up.

But overs have discovered something new. From reset studies it seems that those who play video games generaly emerge more inteligent , strongly motivated and a high achiever. They also peform better in school , gain a university degree and go on to above average jobs. Even the playstation control pad teaches good morals. each button signifies something:

square = love
triangle = truth
X = fear
O = resentment

However this does not sit well with those who believe that playing video games leads to violent behaviour and damaged lives.

I say let your kids play video games they wont damage their lives they could even improve them and they will have a common intrest with others which they can share and talk about.
Games dont create pshco killers never does TV a bad up bringing, home life and lack of parental love and care will.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.