GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Right, lets try and improve the quality of topics on FOG....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/06/01 at 15:25
Regular
Okay, after hearing that Grix is now leaving, I think it's time we improve thw forums.

I have a few ideas:
We should visit Prime Topics more.

On this forum, try and keed the chat mostly about gaming, and try not to post too many new topics...

Make topics longer than 2 sentences, and don't make topics about 'becoming a regular', or 'Why hasn't my status changed?' etc.

I would like to hear more ideas, if you have any, post them here.

Thanks for reading, a staying Ant.
Mon 11/06/01 at 07:58
Regular
"not dead"
The reply that went off track:

6th
3rd
2nd
6th
2nd

See?
Mon 11/06/01 at 07:46
Regular
"not dead"
Sniper wrote:
> I agree we should have moderators which can delete any posts they
> think include: Chatter, if the topic's been done before etc.

The problem is not topics that have been one before, but stubborn regulars and notables that refuse to look at something that might be similar to something we discussed 6 months ago.

Violence in games is always a decent debate, graphics versus gameplay always gets people going, and PC's vs consoles is another theme we've covered before.

It doesn't mean that we should ignore any similar topics for the rest of eternity though, does it?

The concept of 'discussion' is something that is clearly not understood by too many people around here. You make a point, others read it, and respond, so you read what they wrote, and maybe respond to that. It's not difficult, but it is what has stopped happening.

I'm now going to pick out 5 gaming related topics at random from the Prime forum, and count just how long it is before a non-related post comes into it.....
Sun 10/06/01 at 17:17
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I think tihs silly, I dont think nothing should be changed except the topics. They should only be about gaming, stronger rules should be made, but the only way FOG can improve is if all the members improve there topic posting!

:)
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:55
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ack..walking in to the middle of this =/.

I've been on here for over a year (apparently), and while I visit much more now than I used to, I did notice the same downhill trend in the general quality of the postings. a system where users had the power to delete topics/posts could be good, but doing it in a way where the power was restricted and well distributed would be more difficult - a modified version of the slashdot system?
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:53
Regular
I think you should strictly keep SRW out of Fog and put it in the WWF forum because it's not exactly about games or the future and it would be respected and enjoyed more in the WWF forum.
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:50
er-no wrote:
> This won't help, we need our own forum, a forum where only the named
> and select few can post in, a forum where only the named and select
> few can create topics in, others can read but can not reply.

and
> where is Tony when you need him.

by this do you mean no newbies only regulars and notablesbecause thats a bit out of order on the newbies that try their hardest like me and spider

Sun 10/06/01 at 15:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Sniper wrote:
> I agree we should have moderators which can delete any posts they
> think include: Chatter, if the topic's been done before etc.

God help us if Sniper gets this power.....

"Hey Sniper, why did you delete my topic?"

"About graphics. Been done already."

"But most of the post wasn't about graphics!"

"What?"

"It was about gaming technologies less economically stable countries!"

"Oh, sorry. I only read the title."

"......."
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:47
Regular
and I'm sad to say that the regulars (The REAL ones) are losing the battle....
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:46
everything has been said and when something that is posted by a newbie has been said too unoriginal they don't know it.
Sun 10/06/01 at 15:46
hey i'm a newbie and i tottaly respect the regulars and the notables because you lot are like the back bone of the forum

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.