GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Marketing Genuis?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/11/05 at 23:55
Regular
I was wondering what the odds were of zelda making it out on cube, when it could do so much as a revolution launch title, and still be released at around the same time.

Would there really be any point wasting its potential on a cube release, when it could offer do much more for the rev?

Then I realised - Zelda is, hopefully, the console-shifting release the cube never quite had. Even now you have to expect large numbers of people to buy consoles specifically to play the game.

So people are going to buy a cube anyway, perhaps a pre-pwned cube and zelda will cost £50-60. If the (backwards compatable) rev gets a decent launch price and perhaps Zelda comes bundled, many people 'might as well' pay the extra money to upgrade to the new console.

Kind of like a '3 for 2' offer in a shop, they get you to spend more, because you feel like you're getting better value for money.

Meanwhile the people who won't go any further than a cheap cube and a zelda will at least be drawn into the world of nintendo. It'll break down brand loyalties in ninty's favour, and lead to future successes.

Or maybe ninty are just wasting a great launch title.

Marketing genius or marketing incompetence?

Toss a coin.
Fri 18/11/05 at 09:07
Regular
"8==="
They may aswell release it a week before the Revolution's launch and let both console's strengths and userbase soak up the game over the months afterwards.

That way the people who haven't kept their Cube will get in on the Rev and the those who have will get it without having to buy the Rev at launch inorder to play it.
Fri 18/11/05 at 08:53
"The Will of D."
Actually they are still releasing it for the Gamecube, however here is the information that has lifted my annoyance some what at the game being delayed. They are making the game compatible with the Revolution controller! Also they are releasing it not to far off from the release of the Revo too, so that means if anyone buys a Revo they can easily play Zelda: Twilight Princess as one of the controller compatible launch titles!
Fri 18/11/05 at 01:43
Regular
I mentioned a long time ago that I would prefer they held it back as a Rev title and used the extra time to bring the graphics up to next gen quality.

Although a Rev Zelda is apparently being made, it certainly isn't going to be a launch title, and Nintendo really need a strong flagship title.
Fri 18/11/05 at 00:19
Regular
"8==="
I'm not touching Coin.
Thu 17/11/05 at 23:55
Regular
I was wondering what the odds were of zelda making it out on cube, when it could do so much as a revolution launch title, and still be released at around the same time.

Would there really be any point wasting its potential on a cube release, when it could offer do much more for the rev?

Then I realised - Zelda is, hopefully, the console-shifting release the cube never quite had. Even now you have to expect large numbers of people to buy consoles specifically to play the game.

So people are going to buy a cube anyway, perhaps a pre-pwned cube and zelda will cost £50-60. If the (backwards compatable) rev gets a decent launch price and perhaps Zelda comes bundled, many people 'might as well' pay the extra money to upgrade to the new console.

Kind of like a '3 for 2' offer in a shop, they get you to spend more, because you feel like you're getting better value for money.

Meanwhile the people who won't go any further than a cheap cube and a zelda will at least be drawn into the world of nintendo. It'll break down brand loyalties in ninty's favour, and lead to future successes.

Or maybe ninty are just wasting a great launch title.

Marketing genius or marketing incompetence?

Toss a coin.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.