GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I have made my Conclusion that Nintendo is losing it's touch."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/09/04 at 17:59
Regular
"dudes2"
lately, nintendo has been creating more childish characters. for example, koopa kid has a little girly voice, bowser has a voice from barney, and the once savage boos are like little soft pillows. what the hell? is nintendo completely retarded? they shouldn't be aiming for the little kids relying on allowance or child labor. but on the rich game desiring teenagers.

Nintendo is making a huge open spot for Xbox to stab. Ps2 sux, it just live in Berlin right now.
Thu 30/09/04 at 20:24
Regular
"tokyo police club"
majestik-moose wrote:
> Well that's music to my ears, Mario Tennis on the N64 was THE best
> tennis game I've played on any platform ever...and so addictve.

Ever played Virtua Tennis 2?

> A great shame, a shrewd move by MS to get a well liked title on the
> X-BOX but I can't see me getting one.

I already have an XBOX, but, from the looks of thing, Rare is a shambles - they've lost half of their staff to Free Radical and such, the management is messed up and the only XBOX game they have made - Grabbed by the Ghoulies - sold atrociously.
Thu 30/09/04 at 20:22
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
mattributé wrote:

> Mario Tennis is in development for the Gamecube, and we should see
> the fruit of that Labour sometime next year - screenshots are already
> about all over the internet, if you check.

Well that's music to my ears, Mario Tennis on the N64 was THE best tennis game I've played on any platform ever...and so addictve.

> Perfect Dark, and all Perfect Dark characters and trademarks are
> ownedby Rare. Nintendo, a year or 2 back, sold Rare to Microsoft for
> a hell of a lot of money. Therefore, unless M$ start publishing on
> the Gamecube, we'll never see Perfect Dark on the purple box.
> However, Rare are currently developing Perfect Dark Zero, rumoured to
> be for the XBOXs successor, codenamed Xenon.

A great shame, a shrewd move by MS to get a well liked title on the X-BOX but I can't see me getting one.

Thanks for clearing that up ;)
Thu 30/09/04 at 19:55
Regular
"tokyo police club"
majestik-moose wrote:
> They'll never go backwards...so we wont see a Mario Kart 64 (2),
> though I would definitely say a Mario Tennis game for the Gamecube
> would be much welcomed.

They released Double Dash, which was the latest in the Mario Kart series, which was good enough for most: though, admitedly, in retrospect, the 2-per-kart option simply was there for gimmick rather than to enhance the game.

Mario Tennis is in development for the Gamecube, and we should see the fruit of that Labour sometime next year - screenshots are already about all over the internet, if you check.

> Why did they never release a Perfect Dark game on the GC? That was
> one of the best titles - rumour had it that Rare had a falling out
> with Nintendo but I never got a full answer.

Perfect Dark, and all Perfect Dark characters and trademarks are ownedby Rare. Nintendo, a year or 2 back, sold Rare to Microsoft for a hell of a lot of money. Therefore, unless M$ start publishing on the Gamecube, we'll never see Perfect Dark on the purple box. However, Rare are currently developing Perfect Dark Zero, rumoured to be for the XBOXs successor, codenamed Xenon.
Thu 30/09/04 at 19:41
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
They'll never go backwards...so we wont see a Mario Kart 64 (2), though I would definitely say a Mario Tennis game for the Gamecube would be much welcomed.

Why did they never release a Perfect Dark game on the GC? That was one of the best titles - rumour had it that Rare had a falling out with Nintendo but I never got a full answer.
Wed 29/09/04 at 20:31
Regular
"dudes2"
I think they should come out with a Mario Tennis 2, or a Mario 64 2, and or a Diddy Kong Racing 2. Now tell me that wouldn't put N64 back on the map. That will definately make it a competitor. Hey are they still making games for Super Nintendo?
Wed 29/09/04 at 15:03
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Why would Nintendo want to make mediocre games on purpose? They need the support of 3rd paries, of course, to make these mediocre games. But, without the massive userbase that Sony has or the stacks of money that M$ have, it's nigh on impossible to get them to come onboard. So, Nintendo being the brilliant company they are, decide to play to their strengths - making excellent games. And that they do.

The thing is though, people go for quantity over Quality, whihc is why the PS2 is so popular. Yes, Sonys beast has some genius games: Grand Theft Auto being one example of their numerous platformers (Ratchet and Clank etc.) being others. But for every good game on the PS2, their are 60 pi$$ poor ones. Nintendo may have less games, but what it does have is a higher number of games that can be considered amongst the best. Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Pikmin etc. are all top notch, and all are why we love Nintendo.

People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. Nobody who bought the GC thought it was going to be a hub of 3rd party activity or filled with filler titles. We bought it because we knew their would be a new Mario, a new Zelda, a new Mario Kart as well as new franchises. So, if we purchase a Gamecube for Nintendo, it's less likely that a 3rd parties game will appeal to the GCs core userbase.

Poor Nintendo.
Wed 29/09/04 at 13:57
Regular
"Braaains"
But what they haven't figured out that it isn't a few good games that ensures the success of a console. They need some mediocre games just to give the appearance of it not being a barren platform.
Tue 28/09/04 at 18:19
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Nintendo is definitely not losing its touch. Nintendo, as always, is still making high quality, innovative games, and ones which entertain as much as always.

The characters it has made have always been a bit on the childish side, yes - could you ever really accuse Yoshi of being adult or scary? Nintendo, as I said before, are still the Nintendo we always knew and loved.

The fact is, however, that the people who have loved Nintendo since their childhood days are no longer children - no longer are they innocent or free from the pressures of the world. When you're eight and see a Dinosaur who's stolen some eggs, you want to beat him. When you're 18 or 28, you're far less likely to feel intimidated by some puny cartoon character telling you that he wants to blow up your castle, are you?

As the saying goes, you can never judge a book by its cover. The same applies to games, and I'm not talking about the cover art on the box. The graphics on Nintendos games are bright, cheerful and friendly - a breath of fresh air in this current generation of fast, gun loving, grand theft auto cloning games. Underneath that nice, cheerful outershell is, always, one hell of a genius game, accessible to all. A 4 year old may be able to run around the main plaza of Mario Sunshine, but will they e able to get 120 shines? No chance.
Mon 27/09/04 at 19:52
Regular
"0228"
Nintendo's current fans will not be deterred but there isn't much chance of attracting new followers. Many people are unable to see past the cartoon graphics and "childish" characters and so they are unable to experience the magic of a quality Nintendo game. This will cause the DS to be a massive failure because so many people find the PSP a lot more mature, which in some ways, I suppose it is. People forget that the DS is more likely to produce games with better gameplay but the people that enjoy playing on the Playstation will be happy with any old football game or anything that has guns in it.
Mon 27/09/04 at 18:53
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
I couldn't agree more...I'd really hate to see Nintendo join Sega in crumbling away from the console battles but it really does look like a distinct possibility.

I am a proud owner of a GBA, and love it as retro games are making a reappearance...but I'm sad to see a lot of the new characters being targeted at infants - it is, as you said...a chance for the other consoles to get ahead.

The new DS, success or failure you think? =P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.