GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Printer help please (USB problems, you may be able to help...)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/11/05 at 21:49
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Yoes to all.

Can anyone give a reason as to why my USB Device (aka. Printer, in this case) can no longer be recognised by my PC? It just stopped working recently.

Basically, when you send the print command, an error appears in the print queue. As HP suck the wang, it doesn't tell me what the error is, though the lack of recognition is most likely it.

Under the properties section, of my printer, it said that no drivers were installed. The properties page LIES. The drivers are installed, and always have been.

I went onto the "download drivers" section on the HP website, and to find the driver I needed, it had to autodetect my Printer. Which it couldn't find.

So, any ideas why my PC and the HP website might believe my Printer doesn't exist?

It's an HP Deskjet 5150 if anyone else is unlucky enough to have one.

Thanks for your time.

goats
Thu 17/11/05 at 15:58
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Another thing to try, goto Administrative Tools > Services and find the Print Spool service.

Stop and restart the service and see if that brings the printer back to life. I've had that happen here at work many a time and have no idea why it (the service) stops :|
Wed 16/11/05 at 00:50
"I love yo... lamp."
Have you unplugged the printer and plugged it in again lately? If so, did you plug it back into the same USB port?

Some USB devices won't work if plugged into a different USB port as the driver for some devices specifically reference a particular USB port. My ADSL modem wouldn't work unless I remembered to plug it into the right port.

Just a thought.
Tue 15/11/05 at 23:45
Regular
Check to see it is trying to print to the correct port.
I have a Tally that keeps altering what port its on.
Tue 15/11/05 at 18:26
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Hmm...I will try and find the CD, and do all the re-installing etc. and get back to you.

If there's still a method of doing so :'(

Cheers.
Tue 15/11/05 at 15:50
"High polygon count"
Hmm... seems to be an issue with HP printers. My mate's got one and is always saying he gets this problem.

My mum also had one - a HP Apollo, bought from SR - which used to just 'drop off' whenever it felt like it.

I completely un-installed everything and deleted any files left behind, restarted the PC and re-installed. That cured it for a little while, but it did re-occur. I did this several times, actually.

My mate is constantly doing the same.

As for my mum's - I eventually cured it totally... by buying her an Epson. No problems with that whatsoever. Plus, the consumables last longer and are considerably cheaper.
Mon 14/11/05 at 21:49
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Yoes to all.

Can anyone give a reason as to why my USB Device (aka. Printer, in this case) can no longer be recognised by my PC? It just stopped working recently.

Basically, when you send the print command, an error appears in the print queue. As HP suck the wang, it doesn't tell me what the error is, though the lack of recognition is most likely it.

Under the properties section, of my printer, it said that no drivers were installed. The properties page LIES. The drivers are installed, and always have been.

I went onto the "download drivers" section on the HP website, and to find the driver I needed, it had to autodetect my Printer. Which it couldn't find.

So, any ideas why my PC and the HP website might believe my Printer doesn't exist?

It's an HP Deskjet 5150 if anyone else is unlucky enough to have one.

Thanks for your time.

goats

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.