GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Saving for that PSP"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/09/04 at 16:16
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
The PSP is on its way, and you’ve got 6 months to save some cash to meet its estimated £200 mark. What do you do punk…what do you do!! Heres how to badger your parents into giving you the cash…

Notable for their constant whinging about your whinging (Ironic!!), and their ability to wear clothes that are so uncouth they make Christina Agularia look like a super model, although I’m not complaining if she wants to get her ti…..anyway moving on (and I meant Christinas, ahem bits, not your Mums…or your Dads for that matter…yugh). Your Mum and Dad have always been tight with cash. Heres how you try and play them for a bit of cash and get them to loosen those purse strings:

1. Approach them (don’t worry if you smell stale wee, that’s their age catching up on them…blooming incontinence) and politely ask them for a pocket money raise to help a good cause (this could lead to needing a quick reason, but don’t use “We’re trying to buy enough Cakes to get Fat Freddy up to 15 stone so he can win the inter-school sumo…it won’t wash…and neither will his jock-strap). If swindled correctly, expect an extra £1.00 per week onto your £2.50 pocket money.

TOTAL SAVED IN SIX MONTHS - £3.50 x 26 weeks = £91.00

2. Ask Dad if you can wash and shammy leather his car for a fiver every month. If he says no as he can’t afford it, tell him that firstly the £40k Merc on the drive conflicts with the fact he’s poor. Secondly the money he’s saved on not buying any new shoes for the past 3 years must be sat somewhere. And lastly if all else fails tell him you’ve found his stash of ‘mags’ that your mum told him to throw away…guaranteed to work every time!

TOTAL SAVED IN SIX MONTHS - £5 x 6 months = £30.00

3. Wait until your parents have gone out to do their food shopping and hold a garage sale on your driveway. This is an ideal opportunity to get rid of all the tat your parents have bought over the years and to test Mums Des O’Conner records as Frisbees and blame it on some local yobs creating trouble. Make sure you know when your parents are due home and leave the house with a note saying what you’ve done as they keep telling you to use your initiative. Pretend you’ve spent the money on a top of the range calculator for school, and show them your old one. Your parents have no idea what the electronic abacus is or even looks like so you’ve no worries about getting found out.

TOTAL PROFIT MADE - £50.00

4. Sell the Rabbit…Tell your little sister the dog ate it, and tell your parents it ran away when you got it out to play with it.

TOTAL PROFIT MADE - £2.00 – Lets be honest, it was a scruffy little thing and you did well to get that much.

5. Always ask Dad if he needs his trousers washed. How often do Dads put their change in their pocket. By taking his trousers to the wash basket (don’t look in case you see your elder sisters bra…..AGGGHHHH, you looked) or to the washing machine you can have a feel(!!) for any change he’s left in the pocket.

TOTAL MONEY FOUND IN SIX MONTHS - £3 x 6 months = £18.00

6. Ok Ok, now times getting shorter in order to get this cash so it looks like your going to have to ask to visit your Nan. Nope not the mean one, but the really nice one. Sigh…Yep the one with the big hairy mole that always asks for a kiss…ON THE BLOOMING LIPS I TELL YOU.

A FEW HUMBUG SWEETS LATER - £10.00

And with a lap of honour around your livingroom, you’ve done it, you’ve got the cash to get a PSP when they’re released. Lets Recap:

1. Pretending your parents are cool: £91.00
2. Pretend to wash dads car but wait until it rains and say you’ve done it: £30.00
3. Sell Mum and Dads prized possessions: £50.00
4. Sell your rabbit…no more thinking they’re raisins huh: £2.00
5. Get your hands in Dads pocket – Less of that at the back!!: £18.00
7.Go and see Granny Mole-Hairy: £10.00

Ahhh and you’re all done with £1.00 left for a bag of crisps and a can of coke **sigh of relief**

Whats that…it’s going to be £250.00 when released….Ahhh b****r!!
Wed 01/06/05 at 12:00
Damn right.

Oh, it's Prime... uh, good games on there.
Wed 01/06/05 at 11:46
Regular
You're not going to get a better handheld for some time.

And that's the idea - portability. Why save up for a home console when the whole point is to get a handheld?
Tue 31/05/05 at 19:43
Regular
"Pwned. =)"
Or you could save up for a better console, seeing as the psp will just be like an uber-graphicly enhanced gameboy.. seems kind of lame IMO. O.o
Wed 25/05/05 at 07:25
Regular
Dr Gonzo wrote:
> Bullett wrote:
> I heard the next GBA was going to be inferior to the PSP and DS.
>
> I'm sure I read that on these forums somewhere, quoted from an
> announcement.
>
> An announcement from who? As only Nintendo and their development
> partners will have any idea of the specs, do you really think they'll
> come out and announce that the machine still in development will be
> inferior to what's already availalble.
>
> Now, stop being silly.

Technically my statement is right, what with the GBA Micro, but what I said still stands in relation to the 'real' next Game Boy, unless what I actually heard was relating to this Micro.
Wed 25/05/05 at 07:19
Regular
You guys really should think about importing. You'll save money at the same time as getting your kit far earlier than the official Euro release.
Tue 24/05/05 at 19:48
I HAVE ORDERED MINE ALREADY! BRING ON 1ST SEPT
Tue 24/05/05 at 19:21
Regular
"Live a lotto"
damn i just heard psp been delyed by 6 months or so in europe cos of the usa
wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fri 01/04/05 at 20:24
Regular
Whoa, calm down kid...

I honestly did see such a comment somewhere on here, and if I remember rightly, from someone who's posts are worth reading.

Yes it sounds silly, but part of the justification behind it was that the GB family will remain just that - a game unit, whereas the DS was developed as a kneejerk response to the announcement of the PSP.

Obviously judgement should be reserved until an Official word, I know that, hence the mentions 'heard' and 'I may be wrong'.

Now don't get all stupid so quickly.
Fri 01/04/05 at 13:43
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Bullett wrote:
> I heard the next GBA was going to be inferior to the PSP and DS.
>
> I'm sure I read that on these forums somewhere, quoted from an
> announcement.

An announcement from who? As only Nintendo and their development partners will have any idea of the specs, do you really think they'll come out and announce that the machine still in development will be inferior to what's already availalble.

Now, stop being silly.
Fri 01/04/05 at 12:10
Regular
I heard the next GBA was going to be inferior to the PSP and DS.

I'm sure I read that on these forums somewhere, quoted from an announcement.

I may be wrong.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.