GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet game playing"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 20:50
Regular
Are we all really ready for internet game playing??

Ok the idea behind it sounds great. Plug your console into a modem and play games against people from all over the world. but is it this simple. Firstly there are alot of costs to consider, assuming you already have the console and some suitable games you then need to purchase a modem(probably wont be cheap) then get an ISP(internet service provider) and i would be guessing it wont be free like ntl unless sony/microsoft/sega/nintendo manage to make deals with the ISP's.

Also most people in the UK have modems of around 56K the modem for PS2 would need to use a high connection speed or else games just wouldn't play right on-line.

Would playing on-line be any differnent than getting your mates round and challenging them, i recon the only difference is the 2nd one will be cheaper. There must be good points to do with internet gaming and i've probably missed these out but im still not sure if we have sufficient hardware to allow us to obtain a new gamming experience by playing on-line.
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:50
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Are we all really ready for internet game playing??

Ok the idea behind it sounds great. Plug your console into a modem and play games against people from all over the world. but is it this simple. Firstly there are alot of costs to consider, assuming you already have the console and some suitable games you then need to purchase a modem(probably wont be cheap) then get an ISP(internet service provider) and i would be guessing it wont be free like ntl unless sony/microsoft/sega/nintendo manage to make deals with the ISP's.

Also most people in the UK have modems of around 56K the modem for PS2 would need to use a high connection speed or else games just wouldn't play right on-line.

Would playing on-line be any differnent than getting your mates round and challenging them, i recon the only difference is the 2nd one will be cheaper. There must be good points to do with internet gaming and i've probably missed these out but im still not sure if we have sufficient hardware to allow us to obtain a new gamming experience by playing on-line.
Sat 09/06/01 at 22:06
The price of broadband internet access definately has to go down before online console gaming becomes a reality.

Microsoft are the company most likely to push forward in this area, after all the X-box is based on current PC technology. Plus Microsoft also own a lot of shares in NTL (30% I think) so getting UK gamers online shouldnt be a problem. :-)
Sun 10/06/01 at 00:33
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Actually they are not they will have amodem but it wont be that good if you take a look at my comparing STATS topic you can see for your self and the DC has the best internet facilities but that could all change when the GC brings out it broadband modem!

I love playing PSO and I wish you could play Zelda online!
Sun 10/06/01 at 13:50
I've seen the design for the Gamecube, Nintendo has left a space on the bottom of the Gamecube where a Modem can be easily inserted (A very Nice design).
So far Nintendo have both a 56Kb and Cable Modem designed and ready for the machine. Which it chooses to release over here will probably depend on the cost of access from service providers, so lets hope BT stops slowing the industry down and moves into the 21st century. :-)
Sun 10/06/01 at 17:59
Regular
"not dead"
Maybe OFTEL should stop hampering BT then.....

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Internet play would be very entertaining. Just sit down, switch on, and find yourself an opponent. There would always be a decent challenge out there for you, so it might make the games last longer.

However, advancements in AI have made computer opponents rather impressive, and do we need human challenge to truely test us?

And does it put gaming back a step in terms of how it's perceived by society?

In recent years I believe that consoles have become more popular because of multiplayer games. Blasting a buddy down in Goldeneye, or pipping a pal to the post in GT2 is tremendous fun, and it's quite acceptable to sit around a console for a few hours in the evening, or on the return from the pub. Console gaming was a great way to have fun with friends.

Internet gaming, however, is seen quite differently. People sitting alone in darkened rooms, with the glow of the monitor illuminating their faces, as they sit in a sniping position on the likes of Unreal Tournament for hours upon end.

So will it really be that popular?

I certainly know that I'd rather have a few friends sitting around the console having a lauggh, than sitting alone, playing people I don't know.

Mind you, what's to say that you have to play people that you don't know? You can easily play against friends in other parts of the country, or even other countries, and would be a good way of staying in contact with these people, and having fun.

I'm still not convinced though! Maybe I'm just an old-school gamer, or maybe, just maybe, it's not yet all that it's cracked up to be....
Sun 10/06/01 at 18:03
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Even though the internet gaming on Dc wasnt a great sucsses it is good. But the bad thing about it it was really expensive.

Also after playing Quake 3 Arnea and phantasy Star Online on the DC online with a 56K modem I found it OK!

:)
Sun 10/06/01 at 19:38
Phantasy Star Online rocks well ok the single player isn't that good but the thrill of ganging up on 1 monster gives you great satisfaction!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.