GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"console prices"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 20:17
Regular
It seems sony are making alot of profit by selling the PS2 for £299.99. I remember when the PS1 was released and cost us alot. Now you can pick them up for around £70. Just shows that the cost to make the console is no where near the asking price. Sony should realise that most gammers are kids who cant afford to buy a console and then constantly buy newly released games. Surely the price of consoles and/or games should be reduced a little. (This would help reduce the amount of piracy out there)
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:17
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It seems sony are making alot of profit by selling the PS2 for £299.99. I remember when the PS1 was released and cost us alot. Now you can pick them up for around £70. Just shows that the cost to make the console is no where near the asking price. Sony should realise that most gammers are kids who cant afford to buy a console and then constantly buy newly released games. Surely the price of consoles and/or games should be reduced a little. (This would help reduce the amount of piracy out there)
Sat 09/06/01 at 20:18
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
it has already just gone down to £2.69 and will probably go down even more at christmas
Sat 09/06/01 at 23:16
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Aliboy wrote:
> It seems sony are making alot of profit by selling the PS2 for £299.99. I remember when the PS1 was released and cost us alot. Now you can pick them up for around £70. Just shows that the cost to make the console is no where near the asking price.

No the asking price is about right. The PS1 is old technolgy, there for very cheap to make. PS2 very new and powerfull more expensive and complicated manufacturing procedures. PS1 was very complicate and expensive to make 5 years ago but now its old and easy and cheap to make, so price drops.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:55
Aliboy
shop around,Ihave seen PS2 consoles for £300
with three games, take away the price of the games £120
which leaves £180 for the cosole BEWARE THE PRICE DROP
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:11
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
cdouch wrote:
> it has already just gone down to £2.69 and will probably go
> down even more at christmas

the price of a games mag... £2.69 :)

Sonic
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:15
Sony are getting prepared for the Xbox and the Gamecube. They want to sell as many as possible before the Xbox and Gamecube release. Hence the Price drop. And there will probably be another either at christmas or around the time of release of the other two consoles.
Sat 16/06/01 at 00:52
Could be a tactical move on Sony's part.. the psone was re-designed and is becoming rapidly more 'kiddie' - as was pointed out by someone other day (can't remember who.. sorry!) many action titles are not being released on it anymore.. with platformers and the like ruling the roost. Maybe Sony (in addition to wanting to make the odd buck) think that the higher price will mean the ps2 will appeal more to the older gamer, who is likely to have more money and be more interested in action titles over innocent little platform games.

Then, as the PS2 gains a 'cool' image (much as designer clothes do, based on their price tag) it will become more sought after and even more popular. I am convinced this has something to do with it... the price (you always want what you can't afford... the best things in life are those you gotta work for.. and any other rubbishy sayings you want to add) and the sleek design and presence of cool titles will gain the console a great image.

I think Sony are a lot more intelligent than people give them credit for. Marketing is what they do. They do it well. Although some may say the price tag is off putting.. I would argue that it makes the console more respected (as with cars with high price tags..) and that it will eventually pay off massively. They have the initial sales, then in a year or so, those who couldn't afford one will finally be able to sneak a slice of cool pie (whatever that means!) when the price drops by a significant amount.

I say they're going to do very well on this one.
Sat 16/06/01 at 01:03
Xbox or GameCube? that is the question. For me, it'll all be down to the game cases ;oD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.