GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Questions about neighbours wifi connection?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/11/05 at 14:31
Regular
"AKA oasismark"
I've never tried using my psp as a web browser before, but when i was messing about with it i found it picks up a wifi signal of about 35%.

Now i don't have a wifi network set up so i guess it's my neighbours.

But when i try to connect it shows an error.

I've tried different places in the house but it's best in the conservatory.

So my question is can i use it? (cheeky git i am)

Is the error because if the signal or will it need a password.

If i ever get to use it, (i guess i won't) will he know i'm useing it.

Asuming i'll not get to use next doors, how much do i need to spend to get a wifi network set up for the psp. This has just got me thinking.

I have 2MB BB connection at home already.

Cheers
Wed 09/11/05 at 08:10
Regular
Belkin are a very good brand.

I used to recommend Netgear, but they're too overpriced and not that good anymore.
Wed 09/11/05 at 08:09
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
D-Link DWL-G520+ 54Mbps Wireless PCI Card
£24.50 (£28.79 inc VAT)

or if you really want cheap:

Belkin F5D7000 54Mbps Wireless PCI Card
£18.90 (£22.21 inc VAT)

Both from Wi-fi Warehouse.
Tue 08/11/05 at 21:05
Regular
"AKA oasismark"
SO heres the question then.

If i want to get a wifi card for my pc, so i can connect my PSP to the net.

Can anyone reccomend one,the cheapest one really as it's only for PSP link up and i'll prob be sat in the same room even.
Tue 08/11/05 at 19:45
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Every wireless router I've used has a fairly limited area. Cetainly not enough signal strength to allow using them 300m away. Guess it could be down to the location of the router, building types etc. Not used any of the newer wireless routers so that might have something to do with it.

The new routers have a much wider range and obviously with a larger antenna you'll be able to cover a larger area.
Tue 08/11/05 at 19:21
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
AliBoy wrote:
> 50m is a bit far, tend to find most wireless signals will be ok for a
> house but not go much further than that so its more likely a
> neighbour.

Total tosh. My router without any extra masts/atenna has a max range of 300m and even then it's still useable. I've even sat in the pub 3 doors down using my connection before.

With my D-Link ANT24-0800 Omni-directional Outdoor Antenna attached, I get a range of almost 2km, still very useable at 1000 feet.

When my modem blew, I used my neighbours connection on 54G and he lives almost 400 feet away and the signal was good enough to handle CS:Source.

Wifi has evolved shed loads over the last year

fwiw, The Cloud will be offering free wifi access for the Nintendo DS as of December.
Tue 08/11/05 at 18:06
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Wardriving ftw!
Tue 08/11/05 at 15:31
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
oasismark1 wrote:
> Just discovered the local pub near me has a wifi network, it's about
> 50 metres away, could it be that, or is that too far away to get a
> signal?
>
> How do public places work, do you need a password, do you have to
> pay?

50m is a bit far, tend to find most wireless signals will be ok for a house but not go much further than that so its more likely a neighbour.

With public places some require a password which you pay for access, others fail to protect their networks meaning anyone can use them free.

There are loads of places that have unprotected wireless networks, if you have a laptop (or probably even your PSP) then you can drive around looking for decent hotspots to use.
Tue 08/11/05 at 14:57
Regular
"AKA oasismark"
Just found these details about the pub:

Bridge Inn
Hollow Gate
Chapeltown Sheffield S
S35 1TZ

BT Openzone
The Cloud
Trustive
O2
Boingo

£6.00 / 60 minutes
£4.50 / hour
€30 / 200 minutes

$21.95 / month
Tue 08/11/05 at 14:46
Regular
"AKA oasismark"
Just discovered the local pub near me has a wifi network, it's about 50 metres away, could it be that, or is that too far away to get a signal?

How do public places work, do you need a password, do you have to pay?
Tue 08/11/05 at 14:41
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
oasismark1 wrote:
> Is the error because if the signal or will it need a password.

It probably WEP encrypted so requires a password to join/authenticate your PS on the network. There are ways of hacking early versions of WEP. but not really worth the hassle.

> Asuming i'll not get to use next doors, how much do i need to spend
> to get a wifi network set up for the psp. This has just got me
> thinking.

2 options;

1. By a Wifi Router and place it between your modem & pc
2. Ad hoc the connection by adding a PCI Wifi card to your desktop ot PCMICA(sp) card to your laptop.

802.11b cards are dirt cheap 802.11g are slightly more expensive, but you could be looking at anything from £30 - £180 for a router or £20 - £40 for a card.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.