GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of duty UO online help?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty: United Offensive'.
Wed 29/09/04 at 12:13
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
I Have never used online before and after playing Call of Duty United Offensive I decided to give it a go but I have no idea HOW? I have Broadband internet so what do I do now? Does it cost? How do |I start a game? can I join any game started? If anyone has any advice about what i have to do Cheers
Thu 07/10/04 at 22:40
Regular
"It's Almost Time"
Some MP games are really difficult when there are people you are playing against who have been playing a hell of a lot longer than you!!!
Wed 29/09/04 at 19:28
Regular
I didnt start kicking butt on MP until i had been playing for a few days.
It is intense.
Wed 29/09/04 at 16:51
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
Just had a go and I HAVE BEEN MISSING SO MUCH!!!! right going back in now to kick some butt
Wed 29/09/04 at 14:21
Regular
"A man with a stick"
No worries Colonel, and no, absolutely no hidden costs, no signing up, nothing. Games like Call of Duty offer their multiplayer components for free.
Wed 29/09/04 at 14:16
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
And that is it you dont have to sign up or anything! Well here goes thanks for the info CIPRO!!!!! May see you on the other side.
Wed 29/09/04 at 13:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Welcome Colonel, and fret not, I remember being in this position when I first got into online gaming, and it’s surprisingly less difficult then you may come to think it is.

Firstly you’ll want to get on the multiplayer menu of CoD. To do this either click “Multiplayer” on the single player menu, which will then transfer you to the multiplayer menu, or simply click the CoD multiplayer icon on your desktop.

Firstly you’ll want to choose a name, otherwise you’ll show up as “Player” when your online. To do this click on Multiplayer Options on the menu. It’ll bring up certain key combinations (remember; press the “T” key to chat to everyone else in the game, press the “Y” key to chat only to your team-mates and press the “Tab” key to bring up the scoreboard . The rest you’ll pick up on as you get better at playing) Now, scroll down to where it says “player name” self explanatory really, click on it then type what ever name you wish. Also, just below where it says “Enable Punkbuster”, click on it to say “Yes” otherwise you’ll not be able to get on servers that are running it. It’s an anti-cheat program so it benefits you as well.

Now to join a game. Simply get back to the main menu and click where it says “Join a Game”. This will take you to the server list which will show how many servers are up and how many people are playing. At the top a number of options, though you only need to be concerned with one or two. You’ll want to check where it says “Source”, if it has next to it “LAN” then chances are they’ll be no servers as this is for local area networks, and not the internet. To change it simply click on it, and it’ll come up as “Internet”. Now, scroll your mouse cursor over to the right and click “Refresh List”, this will bring up a new list of servers, though you have to wait a minute before it’s complete.

From here you can see what game modes are being played, on what maps and with how many players. Also a quick note on the word “Ping”. Ping is a term associated with connection speeds, the lower the ping the faster the connection and the smoother the game runs, the higher the ping and the more likely you are to experience “Lag”, that often slows down or stutters the game. Seeing as you have Broadband, you can easily get away with playing on games with pings just over 100, but anything around 250 to 300 and you’ll start to have problems. Best to avoid those servers.

Now just find a server you wish, making sure there are enough places available (example “31/32 players” means there is one space left available) double click or hit the icon where it says “Join game” at the bottom, and wait for it to load.

You’re almost there, all that’s left is to choose a team and weapon, which is simple enough as when you start the game a menu pops up that gives you instructions as to what to do. A general tip, I always click on “Auto Team” as it’ll put you on the team that needs you the most, and prevents relentless arguments by other players about unfair teams.

From there on you’ll find your way easily. Remember it’s far removed from single player gaming, these are real people you are playing against, so don’t expect to ace the game as soon as you start. It takes time, but just so long as you remember to have fun and not get caught up in the competitive streak some gamers do, you’ll be fine.
Wed 29/09/04 at 12:13
Regular
"" I Hope This Works"
I Have never used online before and after playing Call of Duty United Offensive I decided to give it a go but I have no idea HOW? I have Broadband internet so what do I do now? Does it cost? How do |I start a game? can I join any game started? If anyone has any advice about what i have to do Cheers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.