GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Glory Days of Man U"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/11/05 at 00:57
Regular
"You have a choice"
After watching recent TV shows (Greatest goals of man u) and reviewing my magazines, videos and year books, I think I can safetly say that Man United's era is coming to a sickening close?

Why? Well, because this is the longest period of time United have EVER gone without winnning the premiership. And if you look at our recent form, that's not going to change.

Man United's glory days came at the time of "You Can't win anything with kids". We had a young team coached by a young manager still trying to prove himself at the club. From 1991-1999 all that mattered at Man United was winning. Watch the replays of the goals we scored, there used to be such team spirit. Roy Keane would scream at everyone oin the pitch even more than he does nowadays. Schmiceal would roar at his defenders, and Alex Ferguson would leap into the air and run on the pitch to dance with any silverware.

Remember 1999? No other English team has beaten that season to date. That was the season when Manchester United really proved themselves. When all hope was lost in the F.A cup final, and then again the European Final, we kept fighting and scraped those goals. It wasn't about money or beating chelsea, it was the "never say die" spirit man u seems to have lost in recent seasons.

Where are we now? We have "better" players joining from around the world. Ruud, Christiano, Park, Rio, Silvestre. Many from different countries, different leagues, who come to this club because it gave them the best offer. What happened to the days when the club was mostly for the fans of the club? Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Dennis Irwin, Peter Schmeical! The first three came up through the youth ranks as die-hard supporters of the club, and the last two came and stayed because they loved it! Steve Bruce, Mark Hughes as well. Even today players like Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham will be referred to on MOTD as "Ex-reds". PLayers that loved the club but moved on. Remember when Teddy Sheringham playing for Spurs at Old Trafford walked to the home dug-out when he was substituted? That's the sort of player we should have never gotten rid of.

So how do we fix this shabby state of affairs at the moment? In my opinion, Sir Alex need to aim for that 1999 season. Introduce talented players from the youth teams who love the club, whose dream it is to play for Manchester United. Make sure we have a keeper who isn't afraid to hurl abuse at his defence if they're not doing the job! Bring in the sort of man who will fight until the very final wistle for the season changing goal! Manchester United has more talent than we need! It is the attitude; the love for the club, the desire to win, that his slipped and I feel is what United needs to become the greatest team in English football once again.
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:29
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Cycloon wrote:

> Which also points out the fact that they are inferior
> nowadays. Would you of got that reaction at beating any team except
> in Europe/final 5 years ago? I very much doubt it.

No you wouldn't there was a huge outpouring of relief there.
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Smedlos wrote:
> > The roar around Old Trafford at the final whistle was outstanding and
> for once even Fergie couldn't keep his emotions in check and bounded
> down the steps to celebrate.
>

Which also points out the fact that they are inferior nowadays. Would you of got that reaction at beating any team except in Europe/final 5 years ago? I very much doubt it.
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:15
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Liverpool are still the most successful English team evaah

Man Utd have won as many European Cups as Notts Forest.

/endflame

^^

But anyway, for football as a whole, change is good -Man Utd winning more and more is just boring. Trouble is, Chelsea are money money win win and that's even more boring. As a devout anti-Man Utd man, I still love it :P
Mon 14/11/05 at 16:33
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Yeah agreed they need to settle that's the key. for the first part of the season they seemed jumpy and afraid but the victory over Chelsea has cured that.
Sun 13/11/05 at 12:23
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
It shouldn't be too hard a game for United, so long as they settle in well; I predict a 2-0 win.
Tue 08/11/05 at 10:10
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Think Man U will beat Charlton, they had a great start but have faded a bit recently.
Tue 08/11/05 at 09:34
Regular
"You have a choice"
Hang on...we don't play Wigan till the 14th December...d'oh! Still, Charlton next. SHould be interesting. Bent's pretty good but if our defence is on form... Do you know when we're getting players back from injury?
Tue 08/11/05 at 09:17
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
That should be a good match and I think after Man Utd's win they will be on a high and will go out and play with a renewed confidence.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:57
Regular
"You have a choice"
Heh heh...Wigain next. When you look at the table, it's a pretty damn important match eh? Hopefully United can take some confidence from this and start pulling together some consistency. Now we know where Smith should be playing, and Peple should be coming back in from injury soon. If we can field either a midfield with a combination of Keane, Scholes, Smith, Giggs, Ronalado, I think it'll be fine.
Mon 07/11/05 at 08:46
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think the key to beating Chelsea is not giving them too much respect. OK you can't go at them full on as they'll just run straight down the other end and score but giving them too much respect is as bad as they'll run riot over you.

Man Utd took the game to them and got the result and other teams need to do as well to get any points off them. Wigan are a good example of this on the opening day, they were expected to lose heavily so went out with nothing to lose and were very unlucky to get nothing from the match.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.