GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tolerance"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/11/05 at 22:20
"& remove your pants"
Posts: 30
I am just wondering if any of you guys has an prejudice but don't quite know why. I hate farmers but I don't why so I was want to know if you have this kind of prejudice.
Thu 10/11/05 at 21:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Posts: 18,825
WkieeMn wrote:
> Everybody has a prejudice of some kind, even if they don't like to
> admit it.
>
> Everybody has some kind of person they don't like, whether that's
> because they're black, brown, white, oriental, olive-skinned, male,
> female, or because they're northerners, southerners, speak a
> different language or because of their background or beliefs.
>
> We all hate somebody for some reason, but some prejudices are deemed
> more acceptable than others. You can try it for yourself. Make a
> post using the 'n' or 'p' words - not specifically here, but on any
> forum - and it'll be deleted and/or you'll get flamed, possibly
> banned. And so you should. Yet make that same post again,
> substituting in 'gyppo', 'pikey' or 'chav', and the chances are it
> will remain untouched, with a large number of people agreeing with
> you.


For once I agree with you. It's not always what you don't like, more what you're unused to.
Wed 09/11/05 at 20:09
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Posts: 7,093
Strafio wrote:
> So what's this Billox?

The inability to use the slang word for male testes beginning with b on this site with it's draconian swear filter. :D
Wed 09/11/05 at 20:05
Regular
Posts: 9,848
Billox? [URL]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Billox[/URL]

Angsty? Maybe it sounds like I'm getting all wound up about it.
All I'm doing is talking about something I've noticed that gets my goat a little. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable around certain people because some sort of "phobia" but c'est la vie. :-)

I was more sort of putting up discussion, mean people have been saying that they've got their own prejudices and the like. Not meaning to sound like I feel sorry for myself or anything.

So what's this Billox?
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:46
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Posts: 7,093
Strafio wrote:
> No. Mum and Dad thought I might at some point, but the symptoms
> weren't really strong, which is why I said "slight" and
> used "character" instead of "nature".

You should have said "Billox"

Sounds like angsty anst to me.
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:30
Regular
Posts: 9,848
No. Mum and Dad thought I might at some point, but the symptoms weren't really strong, which is why I said "slight" and used "character" instead of "nature".
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Posts: 7,093
Strafio wrote:
> I've likely got a
> trace of autism in my character so I'd imagine that's part of it.

Have you been diagnosed with it?
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:12
"& remove your pants"
Posts: 30
Probably because you are gay.
Wed 09/11/05 at 19:05
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Posts: 386
Smedlos wrote:
> Strafio wrote:
>
> My problem is that I know it's retarded and can't be justified, but
> it's kind of ingrained into my "instincts".
>
> It's probably about upbringing as well - if you're around people who
> are prejudice as you grow up you're more likely to have those
> prejudices as well. Even when you're an adult you know it's wrong but
> for some reason you can't shrug it off and it's always in your
> subconscious.

It is not like that in some cases. Both my parents are very homophobic yet I am not. I don't have anything against homosexual people at all yet my parents keep telling me that it is a wrong way to live.
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:11
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
Posts: 361
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

I teh love that book.
Wed 09/11/05 at 15:18
Regular
Posts: 9,848
Black Glove wrote:
> As Wookieemonster said, we all have some prejudices. All we can do is
> ask ourselves why, think about them, try to minimize them or resolve
> them - not let them harden into something that influences our minds
> in an extreme way. Granted this is difficult, especially when some
> prejudices seem (as you say) "ingrained in our instincts".

Yeah. I'll break them. It's just going to be slow and awkward. :-)
These phobias and my laziness (perhaps some kind of work-phobia) seem to be the only things between me and my ideal life. When those are my only problems and I guess I can be grateful for how good life has been so me. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated

Check out some of our customer testimonials below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Testimonials

Superb in every way...
I have just changed from one ISP to Freeola Broadband and can only say that this is the best thing that I could ever have done ... I required some help, and found it to be ...
Peter Everett

View More Testimonials

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Hide Feedback Tab

Live Chat is offline

Live Chat is available:
9am to 6:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays).

01376 55 60 60

Send us a ticket.

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.