GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stuff I miss about older movies."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/11/05 at 14:25
Regular
"8==="
Good old murder mystery ones like The Beast Must Die (and I think the original House on Haunted Hill) where the movie stopped and you were shown all the main characters faces and asked to guess who was the werewolf/murderer a little bit before it was revealed.

Realistic effects - in a few films now there's too much unconvincing CGI that's cheap and quite pointless when used wrongly.

Un-PC film-making - Russians are always bad, short men are bad, anyone with a slight disability or tic is immediately bad.

Decent westerns.

Blofeld.

No stupid californian brats cluttering up a movie.

The Star-Trek cast before they all got fat and old.

and a few things I don't miss:

Overblown dance numbers.

Everyone 'lower class' having a cockney accent.

Dick Van D*ke (yeah, thanks SR filter).

Stupid tacked-on happy endings.
Fri 04/11/05 at 13:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
I find with CGI there are a few good ways to go, either full CG Advent children and such or a hell of a lot CG like matrix and Casshern or such a small amount of CG that you probably don't notice it like in blackhawk down.

The middle area often is hit or miss, either creating a great feel to the film and adding to it well or making it look tacky and crap.
Fri 04/11/05 at 13:08
Regular
"You have a choice"
If a film is live action with CGI mixed in, it often looks sloppy because CGI Isn't up to real life standard yet.

However, in an entirley CGI film such as Final Fantasy, it all looks really good, because you don't have the difference in quality.
Fri 04/11/05 at 13:06
Regular
"8==="
When they do insects/reptiles with CGI it looks good.

Mammals usually look awful, probably because we ourselves are mammals so we recognise the fakeness of a CGI'd mammal much easier.

Insects/Arachnids are the best because many are clones and have a certain robotic movement about them which means they can be done visual and behavioural justice on screen quite easily.
Fri 04/11/05 at 13:00
Regular
"You have a choice"
Original Starship troopers = cool and scary at times!
Second Starship Troopers = poo
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Lukeman wrote:
> I love CGI when it's done well.

I personally think the only thing CGI can do really well is big scale destruction. ID4 for it's appalling screenplay had some(at the time ) "Whoa!" moments.

I prefer models and prosthetics for movie monsters. Compare the HHGTTG Vogons to the recent AvP cgi work. The Vogons have actual personality and signiture in their movements, whereas the Aliens and Predators all look to be done by the same (skilled) 3d modeller.

CGI on hard surfaces does work well however, as the bugs from Starship Troopers still look pretty cool.
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:38
Regular
"You have a choice"
I love CGI when it's done well. Matrix Reloaded or FF:Advent Children. But sometimes it's better not to use it. I don't like the fights in the old Bond films....or any Bond film for that matter. 50 bad guys with machine guns, and the bullets are pinging everywhere except where Bond is standing. He calmly pulls out his tiny tiny gun and BANG BANG BAN...3 guys dead. Very annoying!

Edit: Oh yeah...and why the horrible predictable romance in virtually ALL movies. It's not hard to predict anymore. Main bloke in film meets hot female character 20 mins in...ah. There it is, gve em an hour and a half and we'll have a very long where cringe levels are at a maximum.
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:26
Regular
"8==="
I liked the sword-fight but that was cancelled out by really dodgy CGI and..... INVISIBLE CAR!!!1111!!!(eleven)???
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:17
Regular
I liked Bean though. Running about trying to be upper-class while still sounding Yorkshire-angry and kicking people in the face. Good Bond villain.

The last one was awful though. Evil Korean with martial art skills - he could have fights with Bond. Cool. Nope, convert him to a smug Englishman in no time. Balls.
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:16
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Films with a half decent script for me.
Fri 04/11/05 at 12:10
Regular
"8==="
At least they used him a fair bit. What a waste Carlyle (sp?) was.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.