GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming is Cheap!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/06/01 at 15:42
Regular
Ouch, the topic of prices in gaming has always been a favorite of mine, here is my personal opinion:

The prices of gaming and games aren't high, because they always have been this price, thats not a very good reason so let me continue. Ok so you can compare them to the prices abroad but then again compare any electronical good abroad to its price take over here, the price is noramally fifty percent or more, us British are used to this, thats why we earn more than the any Americans in minimum wage et al.

Electronical goods aren't exactly renouned for being produced and manufactured in good old England, and then again why should we be paying more than the Americans?

Well the Americans have always paid a lower price for electrionic items and gaming material, but the majority of Multi-National companies are from the US and we are paying no more for games then we would be for chocolate from Belguim.

Children take a different viewpoint on this matter and feel that pocket money only funds for a few games per year, I remember when I was ten, I used to think £50 was a lot of money, knowing now that it really is nothing compared to prices of other Labour taxed products.

On a different note the effort that goes into making games nowadays is extensive, people are working over-time on the first night of development just so we can get the games six months later, testers are working one game for months on end, leading to them being sick of it, even if it is a great title, with this is mind maybe we aren't just paying for the game, but for the jobs of the people who gave us the game...

...every title that is released nowadays is either going to do extremely well, or going to become a disaster not just for the game, but for the people behind it, these companies keep up the price so they can invest more into the later games on the later consoles, many companies go into dept even after a huge success with a title, so the expensive price is to further fund future games.

Maybe before you complain about the prices of games next time you should take into consideration that nobody is making you buy 'Simpsons Wrestling' and that for the time and effort that goes into games such as 'Perfect Dark' you are actually paying for something that is well worth the money...

..stop complaing, start thinking about what you are buying.

Thanks
er-no
Sat 09/06/01 at 15:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ouch, the topic of prices in gaming has always been a favorite of mine, here is my personal opinion:

The prices of gaming and games aren't high, because they always have been this price, thats not a very good reason so let me continue. Ok so you can compare them to the prices abroad but then again compare any electronical good abroad to its price take over here, the price is noramally fifty percent or more, us British are used to this, thats why we earn more than the any Americans in minimum wage et al.

Electronical goods aren't exactly renouned for being produced and manufactured in good old England, and then again why should we be paying more than the Americans?

Well the Americans have always paid a lower price for electrionic items and gaming material, but the majority of Multi-National companies are from the US and we are paying no more for games then we would be for chocolate from Belguim.

Children take a different viewpoint on this matter and feel that pocket money only funds for a few games per year, I remember when I was ten, I used to think £50 was a lot of money, knowing now that it really is nothing compared to prices of other Labour taxed products.

On a different note the effort that goes into making games nowadays is extensive, people are working over-time on the first night of development just so we can get the games six months later, testers are working one game for months on end, leading to them being sick of it, even if it is a great title, with this is mind maybe we aren't just paying for the game, but for the jobs of the people who gave us the game...

...every title that is released nowadays is either going to do extremely well, or going to become a disaster not just for the game, but for the people behind it, these companies keep up the price so they can invest more into the later games on the later consoles, many companies go into dept even after a huge success with a title, so the expensive price is to further fund future games.

Maybe before you complain about the prices of games next time you should take into consideration that nobody is making you buy 'Simpsons Wrestling' and that for the time and effort that goes into games such as 'Perfect Dark' you are actually paying for something that is well worth the money...

..stop complaing, start thinking about what you are buying.

Thanks
er-no
Sat 09/06/01 at 15:50
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Ok how come CBFD is STILL £60 in the shops (not that I'm complaining) and is still £50 on SR!
Sat 09/06/01 at 16:00
You know the average person spends about £1000 + on a console but you are unaware of it.
Sat 09/06/01 at 16:04
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I have spent on my N64 around £600 and I have a Passport Plus 3, Transfer Pak, 13 games (1 free), Xplorer, 1+ controller (1 came free), expansion pak, Rumble pak and 1 of the games was £10 the others were all around £30.
Sat 09/06/01 at 16:09
Regular
"Whatever!"
I got a great deal with my DC, only cost me £130 plus two games at the time (Sonic Adventure + Toy Commander), going back about 1 year and a few months ago!!
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:03
Regular
"everyone says it"
Still cheap though. £1000 is a great price for what you get....
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
The price of games is not really that bad as er-no said. The thing that annoys me is depreciation. I spent around £1200 on my PS1 and games etc and now could probably only flog it now for £200, a travesty.
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
er-no wrote:
> Still cheap though. £1000 is a great price for what you
> get....

Heh! I haven't got used to you having that vile colour next ti your name so I keep thinking you're Grix!

:-D
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:30
Rbs, one day you and I will possess that vile colour.
Sat 09/06/01 at 19:30
er............NO!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.