GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"component advice"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/10/05 at 10:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
getting closer to needing to buy a new machine (as previously mentioned in an older thread) and need some advice of parts.
now, i know what does what, etc.. but don't have much of a clue in terms of good combinations of parts to get decent results.

the mobos i'm considering are:
MSI K8N SLi Platinum nForce4 SLi
and
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra
[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/MSI_Socket_939.html[/URL]

leaning more towards the first one, the K8N SLI Platinum (i checked out the diamond, but for an extra £40, it didn't seem to offer much more, but like i said, i'm not so good on these things) i want something with SATA, firewire, decent USB access and ideally dual PCI-E support (which should be handy down the line when 3d apps support it... and when i decide which gfx card to buy :D )

CPU-wise i'm looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
if this is any good, please sing out FAST (chippxero, you seem pretty clued up, opinions?) as overclockers.co.uk have it on offer this week, a "mere" £260 + VAT
Wed 26/10/05 at 22:58
Regular
"you've got a beard"
that may be a little over budget.. but if i split the purchase across a few months then i may be able to manage it... thanks for the advice.
Wed 26/10/05 at 22:57
Regular
"bot"
Very_Metal wrote:
> ah right, so 2 nvidia cards can be slightly different but the ATI ones
> need to be the same?

Crossfire has always worked with non-matching cards (not that you can actually get it yet...) but until now SLi required identical cards.
Wed 26/10/05 at 18:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Very_Metal wrote:
> CPU-wise i'm looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
> if this is any good, please sing out FAST (chippxero, you seem pretty
> clued up, opinions?) as overclockers.co.uk have it on offer this week,
> a "mere" £260 + VAT

Get the X2 4400+ if you can afford it, it's got double the L2 cache and if you get lucky with the overclocks then you can end up with the equivalent of the 4800+.
Wed 26/10/05 at 16:26
Regular
"you've got a beard"
ah right, so 2 nvidia cards can be slightly different but the ATI ones need to be the same?
Wed 26/10/05 at 12:57
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Very_Metal wrote:
> so you recommend the SLI boards? what's the advantage?

SLI is only useful if your planning on dropping in 2 x PCIe GFX cards. nVidia in the case of SLI, ATI in the case Crossfire.

I originally opted not to go for SLI as I didn't see myself wanting 2 GFX cards just yet, but since the drop in price on the 7800GTX and seeing BF2 on a 24" HD TFT at Max settings (sweet) plus the dudes at nVidia have changed SLI so it no longer requires exact matching cards/Bios', then I'll be making the jump to SLI in the next month of so.
Wed 26/10/05 at 12:47
Regular
"you've got a beard"
so you recommend the SLI boards? what's the advantage?
Wed 26/10/05 at 10:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I have the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra with an 64/3700+ SD. No problems at all once the BIOS is updated to 1.10.

Just annoyed I didn't get the SLI version as I'm about to go 7800GTX Sli'd, so got to get a new mobo too now.
Wed 26/10/05 at 10:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
getting closer to needing to buy a new machine (as previously mentioned in an older thread) and need some advice of parts.
now, i know what does what, etc.. but don't have much of a clue in terms of good combinations of parts to get decent results.

the mobos i'm considering are:
MSI K8N SLi Platinum nForce4 SLi
and
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra
[URL]http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/MSI_Socket_939.html[/URL]

leaning more towards the first one, the K8N SLI Platinum (i checked out the diamond, but for an extra £40, it didn't seem to offer much more, but like i said, i'm not so good on these things) i want something with SATA, firewire, decent USB access and ideally dual PCI-E support (which should be handy down the line when 3d apps support it... and when i decide which gfx card to buy :D )

CPU-wise i'm looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
if this is any good, please sing out FAST (chippxero, you seem pretty clued up, opinions?) as overclockers.co.uk have it on offer this week, a "mere" £260 + VAT

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.