GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Setting up a network"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/10/05 at 18:52
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Just got a new pc, dad wants my old one so he can use internet. How do I go about setting up a network in my house? What router should I buy and is it a case of buying some sort of cable then plugging one end in the router and one in the pc?

I'll be wanting space for 2 computers and the xbox 360 when I get it. I would go wireless but im not sure for that either, with wireless routers are there ports so you can plug an ethernet cable in for the xbox?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.
Tue 25/10/05 at 22:29
Regular
"Bicycle"
Yep, that setup would work...

But why Wireless? It's gonna cost you a whole bunch more, and be less reliable, especially if you're intending to use multiple floors...

I went wired. Cost £80 for wires (4x 30M), a router, a network card for a laptop and filters etc.

You could have a double setup - wired for different floors / gaming, and wireless for same floor / casual browsing - you can buy ethernet cards and routers which support both anyway...
Tue 25/10/05 at 20:17
Regular
"hulagadoo"
sorry for sounding so stupid - or for being so stupid rather :D - but I want to know all i need:

Is it just

Internet
Wireless Router
Wireless Network card in each pc

Plus the microfilters.

And could you point me in the direction of a suitable router please?Thanks again.
Tue 25/10/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Internet > Router > PC's/360 etc. Basically, you plug the router into the phone socket, and everything else into the router. Wireless routers also have standard Ethernet sockets, so you can still plug a 360 into it.
Tue 25/10/05 at 18:52
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Just got a new pc, dad wants my old one so he can use internet. How do I go about setting up a network in my house? What router should I buy and is it a case of buying some sort of cable then plugging one end in the router and one in the pc?

I'll be wanting space for 2 computers and the xbox 360 when I get it. I would go wireless but im not sure for that either, with wireless routers are there ports so you can plug an ethernet cable in for the xbox?

Any help is appreciated, cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.