GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Extra Internal/External Hard Drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/10/05 at 00:03
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'm looking for a new Hard Drive after my current HD space went down to an impressive 0.8Gb...

Looking at a couple of Hard Drives on eBuyer, I'm quite confused by the differences in prices. One is £30 for 40Gb, others are £45 for 80Gb, and I saw one for £50 with 200Gb.

How much of a differance does the RPM make?
How much of a differance does the Cache make?
And what's the difference between Serial ATA and IDE drives?

I'm looking to buy an internal one, and stick it in one of those case thingies, so its like an external one, isn't that the cheapeast/best way to do it?

I'm looking to spend about £50 on the HDD and the case-thingy for it, while hoping to get anything above 80Gb, if possible.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thenkew!
Tue 25/10/05 at 18:11
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I don't know how RPM or cache space affect the price, but I assume that the higher those values, the more expensive the drive will be.

As for the difference between Serial ATA and IDE (aka Parallel ATA) is the way in which data is transferred from/to the hard drive. To the end-user, this makes no difference at all except that SATA is slightly faster, but not much.
Tue 25/10/05 at 16:45
"slightlyshortertagl"
Right, even more confuzzled now...

One on eBuyer is 160Gb for £45. That's properly confused me. Why is it so cheap?

About to put in a large-arsed order with eBuyer, as soon as Iknow what HDD I want :)
Tue 25/10/05 at 00:03
"slightlyshortertagl"
I'm looking for a new Hard Drive after my current HD space went down to an impressive 0.8Gb...

Looking at a couple of Hard Drives on eBuyer, I'm quite confused by the differences in prices. One is £30 for 40Gb, others are £45 for 80Gb, and I saw one for £50 with 200Gb.

How much of a differance does the RPM make?
How much of a differance does the Cache make?
And what's the difference between Serial ATA and IDE drives?

I'm looking to buy an internal one, and stick it in one of those case thingies, so its like an external one, isn't that the cheapeast/best way to do it?

I'm looking to spend about £50 on the HDD and the case-thingy for it, while hoping to get anything above 80Gb, if possible.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thenkew!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.