GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping your playstation is pointless"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/06/01 at 22:20
Regular
People...."HAVING YOUR PLAYSTATION(AND PS2)CHIPPED IS POINTLESS!
in the short run it is cheaper to buy pirate games, what is it nowadays? £5 a pop? and only a tenner to get it chipped?
BUT..BUT!! hear is when things start to go wrong,
1.As soon as your Station' is opened your garentee is out of the window.
2.After a while the main laser burns out because of your new"wonder chip",and you have to fork out thirty five quid for a new laser.
3.The game cases look cheap and tacky compared to sony's cool lookin' CD cases.
4.crap copies judder
5. if you chip your PS2 it will burn out cos there is no room for the chip to work properly
6.you dont get the manuals
7.nowadays you can get a genuine copys from only a tenner
8.if you deside to sell your station you wont get as much for it cos the games aren't the real McCoy
9.and now i just read that companies have started to make the games self destruct if they are copied.
So thats.. For chipping 2points,
Againts chipping 9points

i know i had mine done and learnt the hard way.When i sold my PSone i got half of what i could have got because i had crappy copies. Now i know what a dumb ass i was i wont be chipping my PS2.
If you still want yours doing go ahead but you'll be sorry!
Tue 12/06/01 at 13:05
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah or buy an importer thingy which lets you play them without getting it chipped!
Tue 12/06/01 at 10:05
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
But, chipping cvan be good, if you do it to buy imports!

Sonic
Tue 12/06/01 at 09:58
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Chipping the games is not about the hareware, its the software.

Did anyone have an Amiga? out of all my mates that had one I knew one bloke that diddn't copy games. The Games companies would spend £x making a game, it would sell about 1000 copies or so, and then someone would pirate the game. as soon as copies were available people stopped buying the games new, and the companies made losses against their development costs. Throughout the time of the Amiga many companies like Acclaim and Psynosis pulled out of the Amiga market and stuck to the consoles as you couldnt chip them, and many of the smaller ones went bust.

The playstation market is a more secure one for the developers. you can still pirate games, but you have to get a chip, lost your warranty, and eventually stuff up your machine (on the bad ones.) but there are enough people out there buying the originals for the developers to keep writing for the machine. Aided with the Platinum collection, the playstation market has had a lucky escape.

Personally, I'd rather buy games than get copies. You get the box and instructions, you get the happiness of walking out of a shop with a new game, you keep the resale value of the game and your machine, and you can be happy in the knowledge that the money you paid for it will go back to the developers, so they can produce bigger and better games in the future.
Sun 10/06/01 at 11:46
My friend had the same problem with his playstation, he has to turn it upside down to load his games.

Lets hope this doesnt happen to the PS2
Sun 10/06/01 at 11:40
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
LOL!
Sun 10/06/01 at 11:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
My playstation was bought about 5 years ago, i havent had it chipped, and it is almost unplayable, now i have to turn it on its side if i want to play any games.
Sun 10/06/01 at 11:31
Regular
and now if you get chipped games the compaines are puting a special thing into games so they know if its being copied and after a while (like on LMA manager 2001) you cant win any game because the chip makes you lose some how
Sun 10/06/01 at 01:00
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
OK I'll beleive you but I still think that it makes the laser run twice as fast so that it can bypass the encryption checking on the games!
Sat 09/06/01 at 17:39
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
zeldapro wrote:
> The guy in the Gamestation shop in the Palasades in town told me
> that it makes the laser work twice as fast so it can do all that
> stuff probably the stuff that you just said which eventually wears
> it out.

Therefore halving its life!

errrrrr... not if u get a good chip! What u have described is someone in the industry who is so badly informed that he believes sony when they say that chipping kills consoles... which is just spin to stop people chipping!

Sonic
Sat 09/06/01 at 15:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The guy in the Gamestation shop in the Palasades in town told me that it makes the laser work twice as fast so it can do all that stuff probably the stuff that you just said which eventually wears it out.

Therefore halving its life!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.