GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles with discs are good, cartridges are bad"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/06/01 at 21:39
Regular
If you notice when the playstation was released into this country it had discs, which i must say is good i mean so much information stored into a small disk.

But then they released the N64 which of course had their good old cartridge, no loading time, but costed much more.
The PS2 have now a disc/DVD drive which is still their strong point, but Nintendo has final catched on that their cartridge is no good because of the prices, so on the GameCube they now have disk so goodbye cheap prices, say goodbye to quick loading times, the disc are now.

But when will they learn they will soon have a console which will take compact disc, the advancing technology cannot be kept up with, to my conclusion that the consoles with Discs are alot better while the console with the cartridge sorry but to much money.
Sat 09/06/01 at 10:18
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The reason Nintendo scraped the cartridge is quite simple, it dosn't have the storing cappacity of a CD. That is why most N64 games aren't what we would call "complete" If they have good graphics then the gameplay/sound effects have to be less than what we would want just so it would fit on the cartridge.

I can see why Nintendo kept the cartrige as software piracy with these is kept to a minimum whereas most PSX owners have "backup" copies. So the CD/DVD consoles are better as you can fit alot more on to a CD/DVD.
Sat 09/06/01 at 00:08
Regular
"Back For Good"
First off Nintendo came to Sony to make their new console before the 64 and they were going to be on discs, I have a picture or drawing really but a very good one of what the console was supposed to be and i have to say i think it was miles better than the 64.

Then Nintendo ditched sony and went to panasonic and the 64 was born but they kept the cardtriges. Sony made a new console from scratch which was the PSX of course.

Cd's were a huge breakthrough because soundtracks are the so easy to do it's just like an audio CD.Discs are alot easier to handle for the prgrammers too.

The standard format now is DVD and all i have to say is WHOA NELLY.

guy below wrote
>>I keep all my cartriges lined up for quick access.

well I keep all my PS cd's/Ps2 dvd's/cd's in a cd booklet which holds loads,i flip through find the cd and put it in,none of this opening case nonsense with 40 PS cases everywhere, just one big cd wallet that you can get from argos if you're interested.
Fri 08/06/01 at 21:54
Regular
N64 games are only like £5 to £10 more than PS2 games. Cartridge games are much more durable and you dont have to keep them in a case. I have all of 20+ N64 games lined up nest to console for very quick access.
Fri 08/06/01 at 21:39
If you notice when the playstation was released into this country it had discs, which i must say is good i mean so much information stored into a small disk.

But then they released the N64 which of course had their good old cartridge, no loading time, but costed much more.
The PS2 have now a disc/DVD drive which is still their strong point, but Nintendo has final catched on that their cartridge is no good because of the prices, so on the GameCube they now have disk so goodbye cheap prices, say goodbye to quick loading times, the disc are now.

But when will they learn they will soon have a console which will take compact disc, the advancing technology cannot be kept up with, to my conclusion that the consoles with Discs are alot better while the console with the cartridge sorry but to much money.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.