GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is "rasclient"?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/10/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Okay, so for those of you who remember, I may or may not have gotten around that Mallware-dialer problem I was having before. I downloaded all those extra programs, run scans regularly, and things are getting better.

But now, I want to know what exactly "rasclient" is?

I understand it's something to do with the internet/your connection, but is it a standard file/program or something that will have been installed onto my system by some scheming little git in Beijing or somewhere?

I only ask because this is part of my ongoing problem.

Partway through surfing the 'net, after 30 mins or so, I'm disconnected and alerted that said program requires my say-so to run as the natural instinct of my PC is to block it, so I'm guessing it's something bad, but it's not something one of my spyware programs has been able to find.

It tries to add a new connection to my list ("itplaccesso" as opposed to BT Openworld etc.). But provided I block it, this doesn't happen. I found that by blocking the other webpage it would try to redirect me to has helped keep a little control over it, but I still want it gone.

From what I can tell, it isn't doing/hasn't done anyway damage to my PC or any of its users personal data and such, but it's still a right pain in the jacksie to get disconnected every time.

The thing is, I've heard Mallware is very difficult to remove, provided that's what this is. Most other sites seem to suggest a full format of the PC and little else - unless one of you guys can tell me otherwise?

What's likely to happen if I delete the "rasclient" file?

Thanks again.
Sat 29/10/05 at 19:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I've done some more searching on the internet and it seems that to format my PC is the best answer. It also seem to be the ONLY answer to this problem, of which I can find anyway - that really surprises me!

It's quite concerning also, when you think about it...
If a dialer type mallware can hide itself so well, just think of how disastrous it could be if a much more serious program go onto your PC without you realising. You couldn't find it, it couldn't fully be stopped...

:S

The only problem with formatting is that we don't have any of the original software from the start. Obviously, for all the downloaded anti-virus programs and that, I can save those files to a blank CD-RW. But as for Windows and that, the bloke who installed it all for us took off with all the discs, packaging and manuals.

Gonna try and get onto him this week, but this is what happens when your 'independant woman' mother takes charge of something like this!!

:P
Sat 22/10/05 at 11:20
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
From the sounds of things, it would be much easier to just format and start again. What's worse? Backing all your files up, formatting, and reinstalling a million programs, or a continued ongoing fight against spyware? Once it's on there, it's not likely to go away.
Fri 21/10/05 at 22:22
"High polygon count"
It's an ActiveX control for dial-up networking.

[URL]http://www.hallogram.com/rasclient/[/URL]

The control itself isn't likely to do any harm - some other spyare must be using it.
Fri 21/10/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Okay, so for those of you who remember, I may or may not have gotten around that Mallware-dialer problem I was having before. I downloaded all those extra programs, run scans regularly, and things are getting better.

But now, I want to know what exactly "rasclient" is?

I understand it's something to do with the internet/your connection, but is it a standard file/program or something that will have been installed onto my system by some scheming little git in Beijing or somewhere?

I only ask because this is part of my ongoing problem.

Partway through surfing the 'net, after 30 mins or so, I'm disconnected and alerted that said program requires my say-so to run as the natural instinct of my PC is to block it, so I'm guessing it's something bad, but it's not something one of my spyware programs has been able to find.

It tries to add a new connection to my list ("itplaccesso" as opposed to BT Openworld etc.). But provided I block it, this doesn't happen. I found that by blocking the other webpage it would try to redirect me to has helped keep a little control over it, but I still want it gone.

From what I can tell, it isn't doing/hasn't done anyway damage to my PC or any of its users personal data and such, but it's still a right pain in the jacksie to get disconnected every time.

The thing is, I've heard Mallware is very difficult to remove, provided that's what this is. Most other sites seem to suggest a full format of the PC and little else - unless one of you guys can tell me otherwise?

What's likely to happen if I delete the "rasclient" file?

Thanks again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.