GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This man is a moron"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/10/05 at 22:54
"High polygon count"
He calls himself an "artist", and has a particularly undesirable habit of highlighting environmental issues by, well, adding to them.

It's a bit like drawing attention to animal cruelty by microwaving a cat.

-----

In an extra ordinary art exhibition, enviromentally conscious artist Mark McGowan is planning to keep a car (an Audi 80), running everyday for one year in order to produce enormous amounts of unnecessary pollution. The car will be turned on, on Saturday 5th November 2005, at 10am and is part of a major group exhibition in Peckham South east London.

McGowan recently attempted to leave a tap running for one year in the House Gallery in Camberwell but was forced to turn it off after just 30 days but he did manage to waste 800,000 litres of water.

This time he hopes that the car can cause tens of thousands of tonnes of carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide (smog) and also particles, which are really bad for asthma sufferers, especially children.

The running car will be placed outside the exhibition in a courtyard and the pollution will come out through the cars exhaust system and enter into the atmosphere in Peckham.

McGowan says "This is part of an enviromental series, basically I am highlighting people who drive their cars and cause unnecessary pollution, and I know that I will be upsetting people like those at Transport for London (emission control center) but what about car owners who drive to the local video store or the corner shop or in fact the school.

"How many times do you see mums leaving cars running outside the school gates or taking one child 800 metres to school in a 4x4. Actually there are 5 primary/infant schools in a half mile radius of my running car. If people ask me but where is the art I will say that the art is, the CO2 or the nitrogen oxide or the particles that I am causing which will fly through the air into someones lungs.

"CO2 causes global warming but it is nitrogen oxide and particles which I am most interested in, this is what causes asthma in children who play innocently in inner city playgrounds. London is a city engulfed in smog and childhood asthma has reached epidemic proportions. On transport 2000.org.uk it states that a quarter of all car trips were less than 2 miles in length which is astonishing. Also the Sutton trust was reported on a BBC website calling for American style yellow buses it states that the school run puts on 2 million extra cars churning out 2.1 million tonnes of carbon dioxide each year as well as nitrogen oxide and particles."

Stephen Holgate, MRC clinical professor says that the uk is at the top of the league for asthma in 13-14 year olds. The practicalities of leaving a car running for one year are problematic, the car will placed in the courtyard at the back of Peckham Square just behind the library and will be left running for 8 hours a day and can be viewed from 10am-6pm most days or by appointment.

Source: http://www.artshole.co.uk/whats_on /index.php?mode=5&evt_id=344
Fri 21/10/05 at 19:06
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Just another stupid "artist" trying to make a name for himself much like all the Turner Prize entrants.
Thu 20/10/05 at 21:05
Regular
"not dead"
I was thinking that about artshole.

No surprise that it's an Audi, the most pretentious car manufacturer I know of meets a pretentious artist.
Thu 20/10/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Not a Jew"
What a tool. Although, when I glanced at your source:

I thought it said:

"arshole.co.uk"

Which is what he undoubtedly is.
Thu 20/10/05 at 17:55
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Dr Duck The Stampede wrote:
> You could compare it to a parent catching their kid smoking, then
> making them smoke the whole pack to put them off cigarettes for
> life.

It's not quite the same thing though. If you make a kid smoke to the point that it makes them feel ill then the chances are that they may stop.

Doing what this bloke is doing isn't the same because most people will hear about this and (as I'm going to do and probably most others on here will as well) will ignore it and say it is stupid, which it is. It's contributing to the problem and can't possibly do any good.
Thu 20/10/05 at 00:46
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I think most people will react like this, ergo, a pointless exercise.
Wed 19/10/05 at 23:07
Regular
You could compare it to a parent catching their kid smoking, then making them smoke the whole pack to put them off cigarettes for life.

I'm not convinced it'd work though - you'd have to cut down on a heck of a lot of school runs just to cancel out the damage he did.

I think it's more likely that he's just another bell-end phoney 'artist' trying to make some money out of being hollowly provocative and abrasive.

If I lived in the area I might kick him in the nuts, or at least posture that I wanted to. But since I don't I plan to forget about him.
Wed 19/10/05 at 22:54
"High polygon count"
He calls himself an "artist", and has a particularly undesirable habit of highlighting environmental issues by, well, adding to them.

It's a bit like drawing attention to animal cruelty by microwaving a cat.

-----

In an extra ordinary art exhibition, enviromentally conscious artist Mark McGowan is planning to keep a car (an Audi 80), running everyday for one year in order to produce enormous amounts of unnecessary pollution. The car will be turned on, on Saturday 5th November 2005, at 10am and is part of a major group exhibition in Peckham South east London.

McGowan recently attempted to leave a tap running for one year in the House Gallery in Camberwell but was forced to turn it off after just 30 days but he did manage to waste 800,000 litres of water.

This time he hopes that the car can cause tens of thousands of tonnes of carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide (smog) and also particles, which are really bad for asthma sufferers, especially children.

The running car will be placed outside the exhibition in a courtyard and the pollution will come out through the cars exhaust system and enter into the atmosphere in Peckham.

McGowan says "This is part of an enviromental series, basically I am highlighting people who drive their cars and cause unnecessary pollution, and I know that I will be upsetting people like those at Transport for London (emission control center) but what about car owners who drive to the local video store or the corner shop or in fact the school.

"How many times do you see mums leaving cars running outside the school gates or taking one child 800 metres to school in a 4x4. Actually there are 5 primary/infant schools in a half mile radius of my running car. If people ask me but where is the art I will say that the art is, the CO2 or the nitrogen oxide or the particles that I am causing which will fly through the air into someones lungs.

"CO2 causes global warming but it is nitrogen oxide and particles which I am most interested in, this is what causes asthma in children who play innocently in inner city playgrounds. London is a city engulfed in smog and childhood asthma has reached epidemic proportions. On transport 2000.org.uk it states that a quarter of all car trips were less than 2 miles in length which is astonishing. Also the Sutton trust was reported on a BBC website calling for American style yellow buses it states that the school run puts on 2 million extra cars churning out 2.1 million tonnes of carbon dioxide each year as well as nitrogen oxide and particles."

Stephen Holgate, MRC clinical professor says that the uk is at the top of the league for asthma in 13-14 year olds. The practicalities of leaving a car running for one year are problematic, the car will placed in the courtyard at the back of Peckham Square just behind the library and will be left running for 8 hours a day and can be viewed from 10am-6pm most days or by appointment.

Source: http://www.artshole.co.uk/whats_on /index.php?mode=5&evt_id=344

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.