GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Worlds Longest ...Windows has crashed yet again thread!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/06/01 at 20:34
Regular
The idea of this thread is to post here when your computer running a Windows OS crashes! Its just for curiosity, to see how unstable Windows really is.

Yesterday my system crashed (Win95), there was a problem I had while scanning and not only did it damage my system so I had to format C: and reinstall everything...its damaged my soundcard physically, or possibly my motherboard so it cant detect my soundcard.

Maybe it was time for my soundcard to go, but either way my computer couldnt handle it and Im not very happy :-(

Leave your stories of woes on this thread.

Take care, backup everything and

Trust

Trust anyone but Microsoft !
Fri 08/06/01 at 20:34
The idea of this thread is to post here when your computer running a Windows OS crashes! Its just for curiosity, to see how unstable Windows really is.

Yesterday my system crashed (Win95), there was a problem I had while scanning and not only did it damage my system so I had to format C: and reinstall everything...its damaged my soundcard physically, or possibly my motherboard so it cant detect my soundcard.

Maybe it was time for my soundcard to go, but either way my computer couldnt handle it and Im not very happy :-(

Leave your stories of woes on this thread.

Take care, backup everything and

Trust

Trust anyone but Microsoft !
Fri 08/06/01 at 20:51
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Win2000 bsod'ed on me for the first time in ages today, while quitting Counter-Strike. No major problems, but the 2000 bsod forces you to restart, which is probably a good thing, as "Press any key to return to Windows" usually just sets you on an endless loop on doze > bsod > doze > bsod > doze (ad infinitum until you restart.

My friend (Linux user) was working on a laptop at school when a Micro$oft person walked in to the room and just said "I'm here to watch you", and nothing else...scary..
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:44
Regular
Windows 2000 is probably the most stable operating system microsoft have ever made. My version has only crashed twice whereas my linux box has crashed 4 or 5 times (allow that is pobably because I set it up wrong). the only times my 2000 box crashed is on install when I had imcompatible RAM installed and where running a piece of third party software which ran in real time prioroty in a infinate loop.
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:46
Regular
Windows cannot dmage hardware!! Just to let you know!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:50
OK my Soundcard damaged itself, Windows destroyed all the files on the drive and wouldnt boot.
Mon 11/06/01 at 15:58
My PC running Windows 98 has a maddening quirk. Every morning I boot it up and it starts in 640 x 480 resolution instead of 800 x 600. I restart and it's fine. I can restart dozens of times during the day and it's always in 800 x 600. It only starts in 640 x 480 the first time I use it in the morning. How does it even know?
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:00
Regular
It doesn't either you are lying or you are imagining things, there is no way it only does it first thing in the morning!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:06
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hard or soft reboot (Do you press the button on the case or select it from shutdown options dialog box)? Some settings are still stored after soft reboots, but a hard reboot/power off would lose them.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:08
Regular
Sounds like the AGP/IRQ drivers for the motherboard might not be installed properly, so if you turn your computer off and ten back on, it will reset the resolution, but a restart wouldn't do this!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:12
Are you starting the PC before you turn on the monitor? We have a machine here in the office that does that. If you start up the PC but don't turn on the monitor it will go into a really dodgy resolution and then you have to restart the machine.

sandman wrote:
> My PC running Windows 98 has a maddening quirk. Every morning I
> boot it up and it starts in 640 x 480 resolution instead of 800 x
> 600. I restart and it's fine. I can restart dozens of times during
> the day and it's always in 800 x 600. It only starts in 640 x 480
> the first time I use it in the morning. How does it even know?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.